Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Minor Rust & Upper Coolant Hose Leak

Old 02-23-2017, 06:04 AM
TimsZee

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Minor Rust & Upper Coolant Hose Leak

Hello everyone,

Just looking for some advice/guidance as to the best solutions to these small problems I would like to take care of.

First is the minor rust spot in the driver side door panel. The car has never been in any accidents and has roughly 35k on it. It's been kept under cover for the most part of it's life but has been in Florida. Just looking for the best way to remove the rust. Would it be best to just tape the good spots on the door jam, and use a wire brush to clean the effected area. Then use the Nissan touch-up paint to seal?

Second is the upper coolant hose that's starting to leak. Would I just open the pressure cap, use a turkey baster or something of the sort, and pull as much coolant out as possible? Then replace the hose and the clamp, and refill coolant as needed?

Attached below are the images I've described above.

Thanks for the advice in advanced!

Tim,

Last edited by TimsZee; 02-23-2017 at 06:07 AM. Reason: can't write worth a ****. :)
Old 02-23-2017, 07:52 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

That area on the door jam was likely scratched, which penetrated the zinc coating and allowed rust to start. You can either grind back the rust, or use a rust converter to stop it from spreading. As for the upper coolant hose, how old are they? If the whole set are the originals, it's time to replace or upgrade them.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:53 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Just install a screw-type hose clamp. The hose looks fine. Seems like the clamp isn't holding the pressure. OR just move the current clamp right to the end of the barb
Old 02-25-2017, 11:32 PM
ARRRT

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

That rust issue may be not that "minor"...
As I understand, it is placed on the body structure elements joining point.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:03 AM
TimsZee

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Correct, but it's just the once spot on the entire car. I'll probably end up just taking it in to have to professionally taken care of. I also have a little ding on the other side from a shopping car I'll get taken care of as well.

Originally Posted by ARRRT
That rust issue may be not that "minor"...
As I understand, it is placed on the body structure elements joining point.

Search this Thread