Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Recommendations/Guidance on Audio System

Old 02-26-2017, 05:54 AM
dharris0665

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations/Guidance on Audio System

Wife and I purchased an 03 350Z about six weeks ago. It's not a daily driver and we're not a young couple. We're not audiophiles either, but here's the current set up: Head unit is JVC KW-AV60BT, installed by previous owner. We had front and rear JL Audio TR650-CXI's installed last month. We don't have a SW or external amp. We've never had a head unit in any of our other cars, much less one with a built in equalizer. Wife complains of 'screechy' vocals and guitars on some songs and is trying to adjust various levels. She said it sounded like that before we had the speakers installed. We mostly play tuner and Pandora. Question is this: Do we need to just tune the unit? If so, what is the best way to do this? Do we need to purchase a different kind/brand of head unit, recommendations? Do we need an amp, sw, etc? Don't really want to sink alot of $$ into this since this is really just our weekend thing. Not interested in installing myself either. Any advice, help, etc. is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-26-2017, 07:48 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dharris0665
Wife and I purchased an 03 350Z about six weeks ago. It's not a daily driver and we're not a young couple. We're not audiophiles either, but here's the current set up: Head unit is JVC KW-AV60BT, installed by previous owner. We had front and rear JL Audio TR650-CXI's installed last month. We don't have a SW or external amp. We've never had a head unit in any of our other cars, much less one with a built in equalizer. Wife complains of 'screechy' vocals and guitars on some songs and is trying to adjust various levels. She said it sounded like that before we had the speakers installed. We mostly play tuner and Pandora. Question is this: Do we need to just tune the unit? If so, what is the best way to do this? Do we need to purchase a different kind/brand of head unit, recommendations? Do we need an amp, sw, etc? Don't really want to sink alot of $$ into this since this is really just our weekend thing. Not interested in installing myself either. Any advice, help, etc. is greatly appreciated!

Just tune it then figure out if it's so bad, you need to replace.

JVC is like most other HUs in that it's completely electronically tuned, no pots, no sliders. I'm betting that the radio is set very high on the equalizer and/or treble settings.

I would "flatten everything" first; that is, accept all default settings. You'll see how to do this as you toggle through sound adjust settings.

Then go into the EQ adjust setting and MANUALLY change the low-mid-high ranges to your liking and disregard the pre-set EQ settings they allow.

That should take care of the high pitched annoyance.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:21 PM
dharris0665

Thanks MicVelo. I'll give this a try.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:23 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

As Mic advises, try every “tuning” and “equalizer” option you have available on your H/U. Your goal is matching the H/U output to your speakers. If you have quality speakers, you might need an external amplifier for best sound because the internal amplifiers in H/U’s are typically rather weak.

You definitely do NOT need a Sub-W for good sound if you have decent speakers capable of handling bass.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:31 AM
dharris0665

Thanks Spike100 for the suggestions.

Search this Thread