Notices
South Central Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama

Southern MO Happnins Z wise and Jobs

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:59 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Bringing my thread back! Does anyone have links to jobs in Springfield or surrounding areas? I have a resume with 7.5 years of supervisory skills, and guns, hydraulic/pneumatic/mechcanic experience, and I am currently working as a Supervisor in a chemical manufacturing company.

I have been applying for jobs but any help is much appreciated. I'd love to get out of Iowa as soon as I can.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:21 PM
NoQuestionZ

Bump! Read my last post!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:17 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Check out the Missouri Career Center in Springfield. They might be able to give you some help and guidance.

http://www.ozarksjobpath.org/
Old 09-09-2013, 03:35 PM
NoQuestionZ

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
Check out the Missouri Career Center in Springfield. They might be able to give you some help and guidance.

http://www.ozarksjobpath.org/
Thanks KC! I'll check it out.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:06 PM
NoQuestionZ

Checked out the site, it will take some time to get into. After an overnight shift is NOT the time to do that!

Any other help!?
Old 09-10-2013, 05:37 PM
KornerCarver

Sorry. I'm retired so have not been in the job marked for about several years. I only had two jots in almost 40 years so am pretty removed from the job marked. Just keep looking and I'm sure you'll find something.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:57 PM
NoQuestionZ

Sorry. I'm retired so have not been in the job marked for about several years. I only had two jots in almost 40 years so am pretty removed from the job marked. Just keep looking and I'm sure you'll find something.
Don't apologize!!! I looked at the site and there were a lot of opportunities! I was basically just bumping this thread so next Sunday night when I stay up all night I will have lots to look at/do!

you have been more than helpful with all the SoMoInfo!
Old 07-21-2014, 11:41 PM
NoQuestionZ

Bringing this back.... with some updates!

I'm still at the same chemical company(adding a year to my supervision skillz on my resume) I was last year around this time, my gf just got her Masters in Public Health and is taking prereq classes to become SOME kind of nurse. We are looking again at the Missouri area for opportunities. Not as specifically as before, but definitely Missouri. We are looking at Kansas City, Springfield, and Columbia. I would still prefer Springfield area since it's more south, but wherever I can get a job and she gets accepted to finish schooling.

I ask the members who are in any of the mentioned cities (or surrounding) what you think of the areas?

1. What are some NON ghetto areas of any of the mentioned cities.
2. What are the roads in KC/Columbia areas like?
3. How often is there debilitating snow in the areas?
4. Further information to help me move there!!!

If anyone knows of a good recruiting firm or can steer me in the direction of some supervisor or similar jobs I would appreciate it!
Old 07-22-2014, 04:47 AM
KornerCarver

I lived in the St Louis area for about 59 years so know something about the area. You should avoid the North City and North St Louis County areas. The best areas to live in are the South St Louis County area and west into St Charles County. Until two years ago, I lived in Lake Saint Louis which is a small city about 35 miles west of St Louis. You couldn't go wrong with most places in St Charles County. But depending on jobs and schools, the drive could be a little long in the mornings and evenings.

In Springfield, the major area to avoid is the north part of the city. Most anywhere along the James River Expressway would be a desirable place to live. Springfield also has two large hospital complexes so that would seem to be ideal for your girlfriend.

I've only been in Springfield for two years so don't really know about the snow. Both the last two winters haven't been too bad. Springfield generally gets more ice than snow and that can be bad. St Louis usually gets 3 or 4 large snowfalls each year but the roads are cleared pretty quickly except for the residential parts of the City of St Louis. The County does an excellent job of snow removal. I keep mentioning the City and the County because they are different entities. The City of St Louis is not in St Louis County so there is a lot of bickering between the two. There are also lots of differences in how things are done by the differing governmental entities.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:12 AM
Blu Hvn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have lived almost my entire life in the Kansas City area. Like any major metro area there are areas more desirable than others.
On the Missouri side, suburbs like Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, and Liberty are nice with relatively low crime. Personally, I live 3 blocks inside of Missouri. If I was a better golfer I could hit a golf ball into Leawood, KS.
On the Kansas side, suburbs like Lenexa, Leawood, and south Overland Park are nice with relatively low crime.
I'm not sure what you're asking regarding the roads. There are some great driving roads with hills curves, etc. As far as maintenance, I think they are well maintained.
KC is less than 3 hours from Springfield and the road is now 4 lane all the way.
Columbia is a nice area and, of course, the University of Missouri is there. Columbia is almost smack dab in the middle between St. Louis and Kansas City.
Weather wise, all areas can be dicey. Personally, it seems to me that a lot of storms track out of Oklahoma and track right up I-44 into St. Louis. It seems like St. Louis has a lot more severe weather than KC.
I will say, this past winter was the worst we've had in KC for several years. I used my snow blower at least 10 times. One storm I used it twice in a 24 hour period.
I don't know if it's possible but is you could make a trip and spend a couple of days each location that may give you a better.
Lastly, re. driving roads, south of Springfield in the Branson and north and NW Arkansas areas are some fantastic roads.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:22 PM
NoQuestionZ

I lived in the St Louis area for about 59 years so know something about the area. You should avoid the North City and North St Louis County areas. The best areas to live in are the South St Louis County area and west into St Charles County. Until two years ago, I lived in Lake Saint Louis which is a small city about 35 miles west of St Louis. You couldn't go wrong with most places in St Charles County. But depending on jobs and schools, the drive could be a little long in the mornings and evenings.

In Springfield, the major area to avoid is the north part of the city. Most anywhere along the James River Expressway would be a desirable place to live. Springfield also has two large hospital complexes so that would seem to be ideal for your girlfriend.

I've only been in Springfield for two years so don't really know about the snow. Both the last two winters haven't been too bad. Springfield generally gets more ice than snow and that can be bad. St Louis usually gets 3 or 4 large snowfalls each year but the roads are cleared pretty quickly except for the residential parts of the City of St Louis. The County does an excellent job of snow removal. I keep mentioning the City and the County because they are different entities. The City of St Louis is not in St Louis County so there is a lot of bickering between the two. There are also lots of differences in how things are done by the differing governmental entities.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.
Originally Posted by Blu Hvn
I have lived almost my entire life in the Kansas City area. Like any major metro area there are areas more desirable than others.
On the Missouri side, suburbs like Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, and Liberty are nice with relatively low crime. Personally, I live 3 blocks inside of Missouri. If I was a better golfer I could hit a golf ball into Leawood, KS.
On the Kansas side, suburbs like Lenexa, Leawood, and south Overland Park are nice with relatively low crime.
I'm not sure what you're asking regarding the roads. There are some great driving roads with hills curves, etc. As far as maintenance, I think they are well maintained.
KC is less than 3 hours from Springfield and the road is now 4 lane all the way.
Columbia is a nice area and, of course, the University of Missouri is there. Columbia is almost smack dab in the middle between St. Louis and Kansas City.
Weather wise, all areas can be dicey. Personally, it seems to me that a lot of storms track out of Oklahoma and track right up I-44 into St. Louis. It seems like St. Louis has a lot more severe weather than KC.
I will say, this past winter was the worst we've had in KC for several years. I used my snow blower at least 10 times. One storm I used it twice in a 24 hour period.
I don't know if it's possible but is you could make a trip and spend a couple of days each location that may give you a better.
Lastly, re. driving roads, south of Springfield in the Branson and north and NW Arkansas areas are some fantastic roads.
Man, this forum still has some good souls on it! This is all very helpful to me. We are likely going to end up in KC, MO since that's kinda what the GF wants and I just want to get out of Iowa!

Regarding roads I meant exactly what you answered. How hard is it to find a good windy cruise road within 45min-1 hour from the cities I listed. I know Springfield is closer to AK which I have heard has some great twisties. Also upkeep of the road is important too-so thanks for that.

I am doing well for myself in Iowa with a great job with a fantastic company, but I don't want to buy a house here. Yes, it's cheap, but for good reason. Nothing (in my tastes) to do. Plenty of hunting, fishing, offroading, outdoorsy crap to do, but my heart lies on the track or in some twisty roads. I just don't fit in with this town/city. I grew up in Des Moines which has a way better following than here, but still, winter 5+ months of the year? forget that.

I really appreciate all the help you gave me and I'm actually forwarding this to the GF... she is way better at finding stuff that we both like.... plus she has the time when she's at work.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Blu Hvn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a guide to just some of the roads available. When/If you get to KC let me know.....I can give you further guidance.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Missouri_101.html
Old 07-24-2014, 06:34 PM
NoQuestionZ

Originally Posted by Blu Hvn
This is a guide to just some of the roads available. When/If you get to KC let me know.....I can give you further guidance.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Missouri_101.html
Hahaha, right after I got out of this thread I googled "windy roads in MO" or something and looked at this site. The gf is convinced KC is where we will be, so for now that's my exit strategy from IA in May 2015....

Is it strange that I'm counting this date down more than my date to separate the Navy???
Old 01-26-2015, 04:36 AM
NoQuestionZ

I'm bringing this back to the top for 2015. NON READERS BEWARE!

Our updates:

We got engaged in September of 2014 (wedding August 2015), my fiance finished her Masters in Public Health and "quit her job". Her job didn't want any of that so she now does her same job (wellness coach) only she works from home and makes calls. She can travel if she wants and gets paid mileage. This job and company are temporary for her and she has decided to get her BSN. She started course work for this and applied to an Accelerated BSN (due to her Masters and Bachelors) and got accepted in Kansas City, MO for June 2015. She also interviewed for a "scholarship" which pays for this accelerated program in full and guarantees her a 2 year (minimum) contract with a hospital in the area. I am so stoked and proud of her.

Now for me. I have been at my current 3rd Shift Supervisor position for 19 months and have gotten almost 10k in raises plus bonuses. I found out this past week that the (douchebag) 2nd shift supervisor got fired for being a liar and covering up an employee's "injury" from being sprayed with chemicals(he didn't get hurt). So now a 10a-8:30p position is open and I plan to apply to it tonight when I get to work.

I am looking for work in KC in anything Supervision related but am having a tough go at it. I realize it takes time, but I am not seeing the results I expected. I got my resume with a military specific recruiter a couple weeks ago, but they said they don't have a lot in KC.

I have applied using company websites and the major job boards, and I have been calling the HR department of the company 1 or 2 weeks later and leaving messages with no call backs even to tell me to kick rocks!

I have also gotten in contact with friends of the fiance's and asked for some networking help.

WORST CASE SCENARIO: My fiance moves to KC in June-ish and starts school and I pay her rent and move in with her sis/bro in law and stay at my current position until I find something. That wouldn't be all bad, but I would rather make one move all at once.

Does anyone here have another route to try? We can move as soon as I find a job so I would like to move come spring.

Any networking or "hey send me your resume" hook ups would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:50 AM
NoQuestionZ

See previous post..... any suggestions?
Old 01-27-2015, 03:51 PM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Austin, Texas and love it here. I'm a RN and make very good money and enjoy the city and night life here. There is live music and beautiful scenery and roads. I've lived other places like new Jersey and Philadelphia and Austin is just on a whole different level of life satisfaction. The summers are hot as hell though but I like hot weather. We have a car scene here though it use to be a lot bigger than it is now. Austin ranks in the top cities to live in the United States; Google it.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:51 PM
NoQuestionZ

Originally Posted by marques1
I live in Austin, Texas and love it here. I'm a RN and make very good money and enjoy the city and night life here. There is live music and beautiful scenery and roads. I've lived other places like new Jersey and Philadelphia and Austin is just on a whole different level of life satisfaction. The summers are hot as hell though but I like hot weather. We have a car scene here though it use to be a lot bigger than it is now. Austin ranks in the top cities to live in the United States; Google it.
We considered Houston, and TX in general. There's only like 10 places with this accelerated program (from what I know) and only THIS one has offered to pay for her school and give her a job. We are open to moving after her 2 year contract, but we are really hoping to like KC as it's closer to family than the West Coast (San Diego is retirement country goal).

I appreciate your input though!!
Old 02-24-2015, 10:44 PM
NoQuestionZ

I have been applying via all major popular sites, I have my name out with a couple recruiters, and have made calls to a few HR departments---NOTHING.

Newest plan to get me into the area mid year:
Go to school full time using my GI Bill. It's a couple years earlier than I was planning as my fiancé is going to be going to school full time as well and we are going to have to use some federal aid to pay the bills (I'm hoping the GI Bill is more robust than it seems). I have contacted UCM and gotten the ball rolling (slowly) on an Industrial Engineer degree. I don't know if I will like it, and honestly, I doubt I'll like anything about school, but I feel it HAS to be done at this point to get my foot in the door at ANY company.

I AM going to a military career fair next Thursday, which hopefully produces some leads, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Z is in the crosshairs as a source of interest free money to help float us month to month if we HAVE to. I am contemplating selling my Mazda 3 come spring time(I have only had 17 months so I still owe) but it's a 5 speed and I don't know how marketable it is.

It's going to be a challenging year regardless of job or school. Our wedding is in August. ALL mod money is tied up there but depending on how comfortable we are afterwards, I can go back to THINKING about finishing my Z.

/multiple rants.

Is it spring yet?

EDIT: See post #74 for more information

Last edited by NoQuestionZ; 02-24-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:39 PM
NoQuestionZ

Well, here's my update for the beginning of May:

I went to a Military Career Fair at Arrowhead-nothing worth my time there.
Checked out University of Central Missouri and saw what my options would be going to school full time-NOT good. We could make it work, but I don't want to take out student loans to pay the fiancé's student loans since I have the GI Bill. So no go on school only for me....

I had an interview with a company down there for a maintenance technician that I was really excited about, but didn't get. They are paying me back (hopefully the dam check comes this week) and we checked out some apartments while we were down there, so it wasn't a total bust.

I have a couple lines cast right now, but nothing too solid yet. I have even taken salary requirements out of the searches/applications just to get in contact with someone!

The Z is up on craigslist (overpriced) but I don't foresee it selling at my asking price.

I cannot wait to move and get a little more settled in life!

If anyone reading through this knows of any opportunities (minimum $40k/year) then please message me.

That's all for now!