Notices
South Central Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama

Question about police and inspection in Tennessee

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:05 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts
Default Question about police and inspection in Tennessee

I live in New York, and I will be storing my car at my parents house in Tennessee for about a year or so as I have no place to put it for now. I have no problem with police or inspection in NY despite having no cats. My ecu is tuned so that there is no CEL and they don't do visual cat checks here in NY. While the car is in TN, I will be driving it occasionally (about one weekend per month) when I visit my family.

My question is should I expect any issues with TN law enforcement? The inspection really isn't an issue as I won't be registering the car down there and won't have a need to get it inspected, but do cops often pull over cars that they suspect have modified exhausts? I'm sure it varies depending on the area, but I will be in the Nashville area. Also, even though I won't be getting an inspection, I just have a general curiosity about how strict they are so any info on that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks
Old 09-01-2015, 02:53 PM
wisniaPl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phenom
I live in New York, and I will be storing my car at my parents house in Tennessee for about a year or so as I have no place to put it for now. I have no problem with police or inspection in NY despite having no cats. My ecu is tuned so that there is no CEL and they don't do visual cat checks here in NY. While the car is in TN, I will be driving it occasionally (about one weekend per month) when I visit my family.

My question is should I expect any issues with TN law enforcement? The inspection really isn't an issue as I won't be registering the car down there and won't have a need to get it inspected, but do cops often pull over cars that they suspect have modified exhausts? I'm sure it varies depending on the area, but I will be in the Nashville area. Also, even though I won't be getting an inspection, I just have a general curiosity about how strict they are so any info on that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks
Wait what did you use to tune?
Even thou cell if off what does your monitor readines say?
Old 09-01-2015, 03:09 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

i know in TX you are allowed 2 not ready's
Old 09-01-2015, 05:08 PM
wisniaPl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
i know in TX you are allowed 2 not ready's
In NY cars before 2000 are allowed 2 not ready and after 2000. Year production 1 not ready.....but there is no patch that will let people with turbo kit do "force emission" test that will always says ready like evos and sti are able with ecu flash.....running no secondary o2 sensors no evap etc...
Im just curious if he tuned it out to pass in NY or there is way to make them always say ready with uprev or other tuner
Old 09-01-2015, 07:17 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by wisniaPl
Wait what did you use to tune?
Even thou cell if off what does your monitor readines say?
It's tuned with uprev. I honestly couldn't tell you what the monitor readiness status is or if the cel was simply cleared but I've passed NY state inspection several times for what it's worth.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:46 AM
Steve_A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We don't have vehicle inspections. If you did have to get tags in TN your going to have to pass a visual inspection of the exhaust system (looks to make sure you do have catalytic converters) in the Nashville area and they do plug into your diagnostic port. Otherwise your fine. I haven't heard of anyone getting pulled over for the exhaust alone.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:52 PM
SM0KESCREEN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup. Emissions testing only here
Old 12-15-2015, 09:56 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Thanks for the info. For now I'm going to leave it registered in NY. The NY inspection will definitely expire while it's down there and the registration might expire (I have about 2 years from now until it does). I'll just get it inspected and renew the registration if necessary as soon as I return to NY with it.

It will be driven very rarely down there, but it sounds like I won't have anything to worry about from police, so that's good to know.

Last edited by Phenom; 12-15-2015 at 09:57 AM.