Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

OS Giken install + Solids - Corner3

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 05:57 AM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OS Giken install + Solids - Corner3

Big thanks to Steve at Corner3 and Adam at Z1 for all their helpful advice and service - God knows I had alot of questons, and they both were pretty patient w/ me. As we we got started - it seemed that everything was turning out to be a relatively simple job until it was time to tackle the rear sub bushing. It was getting kind of funny actually cause after the drilling, sawing, hammering, and torching - it still seemed like fort knox., but eventually it finally gave way after we hammered it out so far, then cut about a inch groove into the outer ring, then w/ a air chisel - compress both sides of the bushing in on itself of the exposed portion. At that point it hammered out the back side w/o a hitch.. The dif sized press bits turned out to be invaluable along w/ pretty cool jig He used to press the breather tip into the dif cover, along w/a ton of patience and a giant burrito for lunch....Also alot of cleaning and prepping and double checking that everything fit smoothly. While we were in there, the axles also were removed and cleaned up which fixed that inherit clicking that at low speeds that was driving me crazy. Out w/ the dreaded vlsd in w/ the Gik...huge thanks to Steve for all his help. Some pics of the install....

Its up...

After the motul install, I drove home in the rain so I didn't have a chance to really take any nasty corners but I want to make a fair comparo on my semi-baldies I'm riding on currently before I swap out to the NT-05s and realign. The whole rear feels like it should now and not sloppy when you punch the gas. The car always felt like it handled like a porche in the front and a mercedes in the rear - Not any more. Much more balanced and you def know there's some the gear goodies doing their magic in the back. Its not noisy by any means, I have to really listen to discern any gear noise under normal driving conditions The OS literature I found mentions no breakin process which seems odd to since its still a clutch type, but cool....- cant wait to test this thing out.

Last edited by Crom; 02-20-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:22 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you do the sub-frame too. I am also looking into doing the spl's in the diff and whiteline in the sub-frame. Keep us up to date what you think.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:25 AM
Crom

We didn't do the whitelines in the subframe - dropping that is a ton of work. - Just the diff bushings...
Old 02-20-2010, 06:51 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Good stuff Joe - now tell me how much better it feels with a real diff and no sloppy bushings back there? Your going to LOVE it

I found those "ear" bushings in the pumpkin to be a royal pain too

http://cornerbalance.wordpress.com/2...20/pressin-on/
Old 02-20-2010, 07:13 AM
Crom

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Good stuff Joe - now tell me how much better it feels with a real diff and no sloppy bushings back there? Your going to LOVE it

I found those "ear" bushings in the pumpkin to be a royal pain too

http://cornerbalance.wordpress.com/2...20/pressin-on/
For sure - tryin to sneak out in the next couple of days and give it a spin - Gotta find a new jack point now - no more pumpkin love. Was debating either fabbing a new jackable centerplate/diffbrace or maybe some air jacks
Old 02-20-2010, 07:29 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

if you have a low enough profile jack (and/or ramps), you can do it by the forward portion of the pumpkin, that is how I do mine

'course air jacks takes it to a whole other level
Old 02-20-2010, 04:01 PM
LaoSiFu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crom
The OS literature I found mentions no breakin process which seems odd to since its still a clutch type, but cool....- cant wait to test this thing out.
Same goes for me about the break in process. I had the LSD for about 4 months now and I love that sucker . I actually talked to OS Giken representative for a while about it and he does suggested to changed the fluid after putting a 1k miles on it. I haven't tried it yet I barely have about 400 miles on it haha. When I do get break a 1k miles I will change but haven't decide what brand of fluid I want to use. of course he suggested using OS Giken

~Robert

Trending Topics

Old 02-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Crom

Originally Posted by LaoSiFu
Same goes for me about the break in process. I had the LSD for about 4 months now and I love that sucker . I actually talked to OS Giken representative for a while about it and he does suggested to changed the fluid after putting a 1k miles on it. I haven't tried it yet I barely have about 400 miles on it haha. When I do get break a 1k miles I will change but haven't decide what brand of fluid I want to use. of course he suggested using OS Giken

~Robert
Yea, this thing is pretty amazing...Was gone for most the day today since the rain stopped.- I ran w/ the baldies on the back 1rst just to do a even comparo. I was blown away. instead of saving my fishtail and powering down to end up straight when I complete the corner...I literaly just powered all the way through, I couldnt believe it, even w/ my rediculous tires and camber in the rear. the slow parking lot stuff is a little clanky sometimes but not too bad. Then I threw on the NT-05s, -still need a realignment, and teh car just turned into a monster. The tires are kinda like riding on tank treads, but they get the job done. and at 200 treadwear I'm guessing I'll get maybe 7k miles out of them. I love the torque transfer - I feel everything now, and its pretty instantaneous, plus the engagement when this thing starts working is ever so smooth.. Good to know about the break in,thanks R. - I wasn't looking forward to the figure 8's at 6am. This shoulda been my 1rst mod instead of one of my last ones for sure....
Old 02-20-2010, 09:47 PM
PFunk124

Looking sweet with the new setup. Can't wait to drive it.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:49 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

i am going to do the SPL bushings as well when I install the OS Giken, thanks for the review joe.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:04 PM
LaoSiFu

Originally Posted by Crom
Yea, this thing is pretty amazing...Was gone for most the day today since the rain stopped.- I ran w/ the baldies on the back 1rst just to do a even comparo. I was blown away. instead of saving my fishtail and powering down to end up straight when I complete the corner...I literaly just powered all the way through, I couldnt believe it, even w/ my rediculous tires and camber in the rear. the slow parking lot stuff is a little clanky sometimes but not too bad. Then I threw on the NT-05s, -still need a realignment, and teh car just turned into a monster. The tires are kinda like riding on tank treads, but they get the job done. and at 200 treadwear I'm guessing I'll get maybe 7k miles out of them. I love the torque transfer - I feel everything now, and its pretty instantaneous, plus the engagement when this thing starts working is ever so smooth.. Good to know about the break in,thanks R. - I wasn't looking forward to the figure 8's at 6am. This shoulda been my 1rst mod instead of one of my last ones for sure....
I don't know why I waited so long to upgrade my differential as well. Probably because I still had the OEM VLSD haha. I also did the SPL differential bushing at the same. My rear feels so planted to the pavement now.

I am looking forward to Streets of Willow in March. I want to see how much of a difference it made for me. Hopefully to see any of you guys there.

~Robert
Old 02-22-2010, 05:45 AM
Boneout JZA80
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

good stuff bro !!!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Joe - I've been saying for a long time that out of everything I've ever done to my car, the LSD upgrade remains the most rewarding overall. It isn't flashy, it can't be seen but it completely transforms the car in a very big way. Are you running normal dino oil or did you use the Motul?
Old 02-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Crom

Joe - I've been saying for a long time that out of everything I've ever done to my car, the LSD upgrade remains the most rewarding overall. It isn't flashy, it can't be seen but it completely transforms the car in a very big way. Are you running normal dino oil or did you use the Motul?
No doubt - .... just the Motul now -
Old 02-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

if you want to give the OSG fluid a try next time, let me know
Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 AM
LaoSiFu

if you want to give the OSG fluid a try next time, let me know
Adam,

Do you have any experience with OSG vs Motul fluid as in differential wise?

~Robert
Old 02-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I've only ever used the OSG stuff with an OSG diff, haven't used anything else myself, though lots of customers use the Motul
Old 02-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Crom

Was thinking of sticking w/ the motul and thowin in a little friction inhibitor next time - isn't the OS stuff just a heavier weight ?....
Old 02-23-2010, 10:00 AM
fart_canon

good stuff man. Where is corner 3 located. Looking for a new shop to handle my Z needs.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Crom

Originally Posted by fart_canon
good stuff man. Where is corner 3 located. Looking for a new shop to handle my Z needs.
They're in Lake Forest... edit - your Z's lookin killer.

Quick Reply: OS Giken install + Solids - Corner3