Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

Dealers are not supposed to provide you with a rental ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 08:39 AM
350zluvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealers are not supposed to provide you with a rental ???

I spoke to a service advisor at Courtesy Nissan in Richardson and he told me that even if my car was in for a week or so to have something replaced under warranty they would not have to provide me with a rental vehicle. He went on to say that this is not just their dealership but every Nissan dealership.

He told me if I would have bought the extended service warranty then yes a rental vehicle would have been included.

Is this True or B.S.?
Old 01-22-2004, 08:59 AM
toykilla

They are not required to supply you with a rental.. and yes they can feed you every line in the book as to why they dont have to give you one.. they also will rub it in that you didnt purchase the extended service plan so that you might get it next time.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:30 AM
350zluvr

This really sucks for Nissan as far as long term customer service and re-purchasing. I had a Volkswagen Jetta prior to the Z and if my car ever went into service for more than a few hours, they would provide me with a rental car.

Having said, Nissan rank much higher than Volkswagen on dependability. But if I pay $10,000.00 more for a car I do not expect for services to be taken away. Only added.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:33 AM
gooters

It's a Nissan. BMW offers loaner cars. That is a practice usually reserved for higher end cars. You could get it with the G35 I suppose?
Old 01-22-2004, 09:57 AM
350zluvr

Man!, I knew I should've went with a Z8 instead.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:06 AM
bixby

It's really the Service Manager's call at each dealership. I don't think I would ask for a rental on warranty work unless it would take, say over a week to fix it and I have the extended warranty. (of course I have 4 vehicles too).

That said, a couple of years ago I took my Z31 in for a major problem with rough running to the point it wasn't driveable. I suspected that the Air Flow Meter was faulty. It took the dealer months to diagnose for some reason. They kept giving the car back saying they couldn't duplicate the problem yet they changed out 02 sensors, plugs, wires, etc. Finally, after spending around $800.00 I took the car back & told them to keep it until they could duplicate & determine the cause and I insisted on a rental (even though I didn't need it). After having the rental for 3 weeks they finally diagnosed & corrected the problem.........It was the Air Flow Meter. Idiots!!

Last edited by bixby; 01-22-2004 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:30 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by bixby
It's really the Service Manager's call at each dealership.
Bingo. Try a different dealer. They are telling you it's Nissan policy so you don't even attempt to try another place. It is dealer dependent. It is dealer dependent with BMW, too, unless they have a corporate policy mandating a loaner on all service, which I doubt but could easily find out if you really care. I am not saying you wil def. find a Nissan dealer that will loan cars, only that it depends on the dealer.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Loren04G35

This was one of the big points why I went with a G over a Z. Nissans warranty is 3 years bumper to bumper and 5 years powertrain. Infiniti's warranty is 4 years bumper to bumper and 6 years powertrain. As part of Infiniti's "total care", you always get a loaner when the car goes in for service. If they are out of dealer loaners, they rent a car for you. I have never been to an Infiniti dealer where they did not have at least 3 loaners cars waiting up front to be allocated for someone to come in for service. I've had mine in a few times and everytime there is a G35 sedan waiting up front for me to drive when I get there. There is no decision on whether you get a car or not. If you aren't waiting on the car, they just sign you up, you are in and out. The cars are kept in much better condition than rental cars. Since they loan G35's, you also get a loaner that is far faster and better handling than any retnal car you would get otherwise. The highest mileage I saw on one was 17K and they rotate them out when they reach the 20's. None had any pull in the suspension or even a single wheel out of aligment. Best of all, there is no cost, except for gas if you don't fill it all the way up. I wonder if you could just take your Z to Infiniti for service?
Old 01-22-2004, 05:24 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

It is a Nissan Policy.

However, the dealership can decide to pay for it on their own dime.

It is included with the Extended Warranty.

Also, something to remember regarding loaner and rental cars, if for some reason your car ends up being in the shop for a long time and/or often, if you take a loaner or rental, those days do not count toward the 30days in the Lemon Law.

Derek
Old 01-24-2004, 09:52 AM
moog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a loaner the single time I took my car in for its first oil change (free...thats why I went). But the Infiniti dealerships usually always give you a loaner. Sometimes even another G35 or even an FX.

I guess this is where the "luxury" part comes into play with the better service.