Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

UTEC 'Upgrade?'

Old 06-10-2006, 08:43 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an older one also and I know that the baud can not be changed. I'm going to go try the two hyperterminal test now.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:25 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

I tried running to Hyperterminals and it worked like a champ.
There was some weirdness when closing ports but the data streams ran great. Since you have the same configuration and its working I may have to try a dual uart card or another laptop or something.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:29 AM
jmussetter

I think that the problem with the wideband may be the baud rate. The UTEC wants to work at 19200 baud only and the wideband only wants to work at 9600 baud. So close yet so far!
This is not the problem, all the widebands work at different baud setting, MPS_UTECLogger will set the port settings to the correct spec when the WBO2 type is changed. The program doesn't care that the UTEC runs at 19200, and the AEM talks at 9600. You're defining the baud specs when you select the wide band type from the list, thus why you can't change types while the com port is open also.

I don't think the problem is in the software. Everything works perfect on my laptop, and I'm using teh AEM UEGO at 9600 baud.
Thank you KPierson for confirming the AEM parsing is working, I've had similar feedback from the WRX and Evo folks as well.

As a note, the program uses the Windows standard MSCOMM32.dll provided by microsoft to communicate with the com ports. I've tested this program on 3 different laptops personally, and have had feedback from many other people that do not have a crashing problem. My best guess, is that a Com port is dropping in and out of Windows Device manager, either due to a driver problem or a cable problem, or possibly a device conflict. Since the program uses windows's com port interface, the interface is only available when it's tied to a physical port via the hardware driver. If windows detect a Com port on the computer (like when you plug in a USB->Serial cable), windows loads the driver for the hardware. The logging software, then ties an instance of MSCOMM32.dll to the physical com port for control. The logging software tells MSCOMM32.dll what to send/receive and what com settings to use. If the hardware is removed, or the driver has issues, the device may 'disappear' from windows device manager. The program still has an instance of MSCOMM32.dll running and when it tries to send/receive data, or change settings, MSCOMM32.dll attemps to perform this action on hardware no longer detected in the system...Instant CRASH. This is most likely cause for software crashing when using ANY Com program. I've had MPSUtecLogger crash this way, as well as several other serial based programs when this happens. Causes for this can be anything as simple as a loose USB connection, and vibrations from driving.

-jason

Last edited by jmussetter; 06-10-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:56 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

It isn't crashing, just not working. The AEM data starts and works for like 15 seconds or so and then stops. Yet doing it with two instances of Hyperterminal works perfectly.
I don't think the serial port is disappearing either. I've tried different cables and drivers too. Not sure what to think at this point but I am going to try to get a hold of better serial HW to check it out.

Last edited by 35ounces; 06-10-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:12 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

OK! I finally got it working using my old laptop which has a real serial port (and using 1 usb to serial cable). I guess that the two usb-to-serial cables were not playing together nicely.

I went out and logged some data. Injector duty cycle values are between 5 and 14? Does that make sense?

The boost values (vac) when negative show up as -5.-5 instead of -5.5 (I think that was already reported).

Can timing really be hitting 56.7?? Yikes!
How does it get the Stock ECU timing values that are reported? Does the UTEC provide that?

Got some knock counts too.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:17 PM
KPierson
Banned

The UTEC appears to send all the data as ASCII text to the laptop. You can see the data being sent in the main screen towards the bottom of the MPS_UTEC program. It doesn't appear to involve any translation or decoding, but I may be wrong. You can also use hyperterminal to verify the values being reported. Call the UTEC and at the main screen push '1' on your keyboard. It will set the UTEC in to log mode and will start spitting data out the com port to your laptop.

Some things I have noticed, is if you just disconnect the com cable without shutting down MPS_UTEC program and then call the UTEC it will still be in data logging mode. I have also noticed that if you are tweaking the UTEC and you don't exit all the way out to the main UTEC menu the MPS_UTEC won't work, as it can't set the UTEC in to data log mode. It would be nice if the MPS_UTEC program would throw out 2 or 3 'ctrl-x' before sending out the '1' or whatever it is to set it in logging mode. This would force the UTEC in to programming mode unless there are changes that have not been saved, then it would hang on the 'press enter to save' screen.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:19 PM
KPierson
Banned

Oh, and congrats on getting it working!

I have been getting lots of knock. I was told by one tuner to free rev the car (In N of course) and adjust the knock settings until you don't get any knock at all. I think my knock is coming from my JWT cams and valve springs.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:33 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Yeah understand but its sort of tough to look at it when driving! I'll have to take a closer look in the driveway when I get a chance (just got it working at lunchtime today).

If someone makes changes and doesnt save them and then goes straight to the mps_uteclogger ...well, thats sort of scary! Mostly I have been just trying to do data acquisition so I can check my a/f, fuel maps, and timing.
I'm not sure I understand what the Save logfile setting is on the main screen. Is realtime data going to that file? I have not looked at it yet but it doesn't seem to get that large. I also get an error once in a while - can't open the file or something but it seems to still log ????

Are you really just going to raise the knock threshold to avoid seeing knock counts? I think my timing is too high in a few places ...where I am knocking.

I wish the UTI software would work with the AEM as it has some nice features such as trigger definitions for starting logs.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:12 PM
KPierson
Banned

I was told that there shouldn't be any knock when free reving the motor (assuming you have good a/f). I was getting knock around 2500 RPM with a 14.7A/F and stock timing. I'm 99.9% sure its not knock, but valve train noise that sounds like knock.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:52 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KPierson
I was told that there shouldn't be any knock when free reving the motor (assuming you have good a/f). I was getting knock around 2500 RPM with a 14.7A/F and stock timing. I'm 99.9% sure its not knock, but valve train noise that sounds like knock.
Ive tapped into the stock knock sensor and log the volts . It stays at 2.53 and I get some small changes in volt [ up and down .04 volts . I dont consider this knock , but have seen big jumps into the 3.2 to 3.5 volts . I took that as knock and retarded timing more and it went away .

You may want to try that to compare .
Old 06-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Havok_RLS2

Any updates yet???
Old 06-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on UTEC GUI
Old 06-23-2006, 02:23 AM
mistaboosta

it was being said that UTEC will be able to raise the idle speed soon,

any info about that yet?
Old 06-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by mistaboosta
it was being said that UTEC will be able to raise the idle speed soon,

any info about that yet?
??? You can't do that already? I've been using the Cypher program for that. Work just fine for me.

Anywho... What about the updates? Any status change?
Old 07-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Havok_RLS2

Any new updates please?
Old 07-25-2006, 07:37 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

+1...any updates? is the software available yet?

also, how does one hook up a wideband to this setup? i read through the several pages of this thread... talk about needing to hook up through a serial port???

pls explain this; how do i setup the utec with an innovate xd-1/lc-1 and the new up and coming software?

Thanks

TODD
Old 07-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Triji

Hmmm, Thinking I need to wait until I purchase a Utec... It seems like the best to go with for my needs but also alot of bugs...
Old 07-25-2006, 10:07 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 35ounces
One other simple mod that would be REALLY nice to have would be the ability to LOAD a Log Map. Right now the software allows you to save the log map but there is no way to reload it and view it in the nice colored 2x2 (rpm x Load) layout.
Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
That would be cool.
Im using the beta UTI for Z with the ZUtec and Tuner Pro, it gives a colored graphical layout of everything over the load points and rpm. AFR, Ingnition, Target AFR, Change required, Knock, duty, pulse width etc etc etc. I makes street tuning 100 times quicker and more accurate. Its ****ing awesome basically. These is an autotune feature but its only for MAF tuning and not sure it works with the Zed application yet. Its not 100% stable, but the basic logging works great.

Last edited by mchapman; 07-25-2006 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:35 AM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
+1...any updates? is the software available yet?

also, how does one hook up a wideband to this setup? i read through the several pages of this thread... talk about needing to hook up through a serial port???

pls explain this; how do i setup the utec with an innovate xd-1/lc-1 and the new up and coming software?

Thanks

TODD
Todd,

My AEM wideband has a serial output. I hooked this to a DB9 connector I bought at Radioshack and plugged it in to a 2nd serial port on my laptop (I have a PCMCIA card with 2 ports). The Utec was hooked up to the other serial port.

I'm not sure what the Innovate wideband has, but if it has a serial output it should be a matter of soldering it up to the correct connector.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:58 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Any updates on this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UTEC 'Upgrade?'