Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Wanted: UpRev Tuning DIY - Tuning 101?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:41 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
Is there any indicator to know that this is happening while you are tuning? Is it just that it is switching over to the high det values and switching back? How does the ECU determine how much timing to pull if it's not using the ign maps?

I would hate for the ECU to change timing during a tune based on factors completely out of my control, for me to tune based on that, and end up with bad results afterwards.
When it switches it stays there until you restart the engine. There is no indication (as of now), but uprev seems to be working on it. The best way for now would be to pull a silly amount of timing across the hi det map so you'll feel it right away if it happens. I have never ended up on the hi det map so it seems to take a good beating before that happens.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:22 AM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can monitor knock, correct?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:36 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by ImportPartsPro
You can monitor knock, correct?
The ECU does, but you can't log/monitor it, but uprev is working on it and supposedly has it cracked on a couple later model ECU's ('knock strength' appears in logs) but not mine yet. For now, I use headphones to listen for knock during tuning:

http://uprev.com/documentation/Knock...n%20Device.pdf
Old 04-01-2011, 03:49 PM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

This thread is exactly what I was asking for in another FI thread some time last week and it is coming along really well. I look forward to it developing into more advanced information as SparkleCityHop learns.
Way to go, Man!! In my opinion, this is precisely what our forum should be about. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:56 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Default ECU Architecture Basics

ECU Architecture Basics
---------------------------------
Our ECU uses 3 types of memory-

Flash-ROM
- This is Read Only Memory where the operating software and tables for calibrating/tuning are stored. This area can only be written to via an ECU flash.
- Flash memory has a limited number of rewrites that can be performed before the memory degrades. Once it has degraded, the ECU must be replaced. A minimum of 200 flashes is expected.

RAM (internal to processor)
- This is read and write memory used to store variables such as sensor readings, environmental conditions, and calculated values that manage engine operation.

Non-volatile EEPROM (external from processor)
- This memory is not used for tuning, but holds static information specific to the vehicle like VIN and things like idle adjustments, ignition adjustments, and learned idle air volume.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:57 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Default UpRev Tuned ECU Differences & Basic Information

UpRev Tuned ECU Differences & Basic Information
----------------------------------------------------------------------
An UpRev Osiris tune allows storing multiple maps in Flash-ROM so that you can switch maps using the cruise control buttons.

It also moves the "active/running" tables from Flash-ROM to being in RAM. This allow for Real Time Tuning (RTT) of the "active/running" maps. This way, there is no need to reflash the ROM every time that you change between maps (and you can change on the fly). Each of your maps exists in Flash-ROM as a source. When you switch maps, the source map from Flash-ROM is copied over to your "running" map in RAM.

It is important to realize that since the source maps are in FLASH-ROM, to change one of your source maps after using RTT (you make changes to the "active/running" maps & save a tune file to your computer first), you must reflash your ECU with the new source maps. My guess is that the source maps need to be in the FLASH-ROM so that they aren't lost/forgotten if the ECU loses power.

Due to limited space in RAM, certain data values and tables must remain in ROM instead of RAM and thus, cannot be changed without reflashing the ROM. Some of these static values are target idle rpm and cam advance. Since these values are not in RAM and can't be copied/changed/written without a flash, the can't be changed via switching maps.

Osiris also provides tuners with a way to save a tune as a "Loader" ROM. These have real time tuning disabled. These tunes can be applied if you have concerns about someone getting access to your tunes via real time tuning. That way a third party can't connect to the ECU and make a copy of the real time tuning.

For an Uprev ECU -

Flash-ROM
- Source tables of each of your maps
- target idle RPM
- cam advance

RAM
- your "active/running" tune

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 04-02-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:27 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Default have a ?

This question is for djamps and the other experienced tuners, because before I get too much further into the details, I want to make sure I have the basic 20,000ft concept right in my mind.

It sounds like the basic procedures/order in tuning would be:

1) Make sure K constant matches your injectors & MAF if upgraded
2) Configure your target AFR map
3) Use RTT to adjust fuel map to help each cell successfully get to its target AFR (map above)
4) Use RTT to adjust ign map to help maximize the torque you have in each cell (either with a dyno or street logging - dyno will provide best results)

NOTE: For safety, always use a knock sensor when tuning. In some cases, you'll hit knock before you hit peak torque.

I realize that there are a lot of other settings to be tuned and this not the whole picture, but am I on the right track?

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 04-10-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:08 AM
djamps

^ first step would be dialing in the injector latency if you have non-stock injectors. And without fuel system mods at all, K shouldn't be needed. So for N/A and F/I the process is different. And for (4) the knock sensor should always be utilized on or off the dyno (Sometimes you'll hit knock before you hit peak tq).
Old 04-03-2011, 04:47 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Default Settings/Terms to research

Thanks! I'm reading through the UpRev Osiris manual again, and I understand a lot more of it now. I'm up to 37.894% Reading Comprehension now.

I'm currently trying to learn about the following terms/values and the effects of changing their values (Google is my friend):

Injector Latency (Adder/Scaler) - If upgraded injectors
Minimum Injector Pulse Width - If upgraded injectors
K constant - If upgraded injectors or MAF
Base Fuel Schedule - (theoretical injector pulse to maintain stoich)
Idle Targets - ???
Intake Temp Calibration - ???
MAF Table - ???
Cranking Enrichment - ???
Cranking Ignition A - ignition multiplier based on coolant temp
Cranking Ignition B - ignition limiter based on coolant temp
Cranking Ignition C - ignition curve based on RPM
Calculated Load - ???
Low Det IGN Timing - "Main" Ignition Map
High Det IGN Timing - "Knock" Ignition Map
Fuel Map

I plan to add a post for each major topic detailing what I learn about the technology/theory behind the item and the effect that changing the values can have on your tune.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 04-03-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:04 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Default Basic Osiris Tuning Order

Basic Osiris Tuning Order
-----------------------------

1) Tune for Larger Injectors
2) Tune for Startup
3) Tune for MAF
4) Tune Calculated Load
5) Load ROM w/ basic parameters (AFR targets, rev limits, idle targets, etc)
6) Load RTT
7) Stretch/Adjust IGN table
8) Adjust Fuel MAP
9) Adjust IGN MAP
10) Save RTT tune file to your computer
11) Flash the RTT tune file to one of the Map slots on your ECU
Old 04-03-2011, 05:48 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 957 Likes on 722 Posts

having that cable gives you access to do cipher as well?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:12 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Default Yep

Originally Posted by Cux350z
having that cable gives you access to do cipher as well?
Yep. I got the Osiris Tuner version that allows me to do my own Cipher logging, RTT & flashes.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 04-03-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:37 AM
djamps

Hmmm I don't recall seeing any intake temp calibrations on my rom editor...where is that?
Old 04-03-2011, 07:40 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Default intake temp calibrations

Originally Posted by djamps
Hmmm I don't recall seeing any intake temp calibrations on my rom editor...where is that?
Page 18 of Osiris manual on the Uprev website. Number 11.9 halfway down the page.

11.9 Intake Temp Calibration – Intake temp can be adjusted based off of sensor voltage.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 04-03-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:25 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Default The real learning starts now

I just got both books and my Osiris Tuner cable today. I will begin reading and playing with the Osiris software tomorrow, so I expect updates.

One question to the pros out there... When I am logging using Cipher and then opening up the CSV later to review, is it best to filter out the following items so they don't skew things:

Vehicle Speed = 0
Throttle Pos 1 (V-Throttle) < 0.70
Brake = 1
Cal/LD Value < 20

I ask because it seems that the above would be situations where you are either stopped, engine braking, or braking - and would be situations that are abnormall (rich AFR, etc) and aren't targets for tuning, right?

For those reading this thread to learn, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself with this question because I haven't yet learned the above and written it up, I'm just guessing at some things from looking at the logs that I just generated.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 PM
djamps

On my tool there are options to filter out based on those kinds of things, so don't worry so much about the log files themselves. I typically set the tool for accel(v) > 1.0v that cuts out all the decel.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Default Graphs FTW

On my tool there are options to filter out based on those kinds of things, so don't worry so much about the log files themselves. I typically set the tool for accel(v) > 1.0v that cuts out all the decel.
Cool. Since I hadn't used your tool yet, I was just charting things inside of Excel to start getting an idea of what parts of the logging would be useful and what wouldn't.

Also, I really want to understand/learn what's happening at each step of acceleration/idle/decel for the different sensors, etc. - even in the areas that aren't related to building my tune. I have so much to learn that it's helpful for me to see the graph of each sensor and move them under another graph in Excel just to see the relationships between the two sensors/values and how they are changing throughout the idle/accel/decel. That kind of stuff would be obvious to someone that understands the big picture, but for a noob like me, it's very helpful right now.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:19 AM
djamps

Uprev has some built in graphing, but yea excel is much nicer. Another member wrote a graphing tool:

https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/5147...-csv-file.html
Old 04-16-2011, 08:17 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Uprev has some built in graphing, but yea excel is much nicer. Another member wrote a graphing tool:

https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/5147...-csv-file.html
That graphing tool is very handy. I was traveling this whole week and spent a lot of time reading. I am finishing some of my notes to post in here, but had one pretty important item that I just don't understand yet. How is the Base Fuel Schedule Calculated? Is it purely something that is matched up off of the MAF table based on the voltage & "Data Word" mappings? Understanding this one key item might pull it all together for me.

Also, I've read and searched with no luck for these answers as well:

How do you tune/calibrate the MAF voltage to Data Word table, or is that static and only changes with an aftermarket MAF?

I've read about some generic AFR targets for engines in general that produce the best fuel efficiency at cruise (15.5:1) and best power (13.2-13.4:1). Are these also the general AFR target ranges that I should be shooting for on a NA VQ35DE to accomplish those goals? I realize that I'll need 14.7 for idle purposes and then a gradient/slope to get me there in each table, with a map for economy and another for power.

For my power map, is it safe to add a little timing across the entire IGN table compared to stock and then drive the engine to detect knock, trying to hit as many different cells as possible using the trace feature? Or do I need to target and test cells individually, working up until I detect knock, then moving the timing back to leave some wiggle room for bad gas?

Thanks in advance. Also, I will be sharing notes on "Why EFI exists vs carburetors", "Measuring - Sensors", and "Outputs - Controls" tomorrow once I have them edited.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:16 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
That graphing tool is very handy. I was traveling this whole week and spent a lot of time reading. I am finishing some of my notes to post in here, but had one pretty important item that I just don't understand yet. How is the Base Fuel Schedule Calculated? Is it purely something that is matched up off of the MAF table based on the voltage & "Data Word" mappings? Understanding this one key item might pull it all together for me.
BFS is an equation that they show in the Uprev manual. It's a combination of basically everything multiplied together that equals the 'theoretical' injector pulse width needed to hit the target AFR.

How do you tune/calibrate the MAF voltage to Data Word table, or is that static and only changes with an aftermarket MAF?
MAF tuning is 1-dimensional. There's no RPM, BFS or 'data byte' to worry about... just voltage vs afr/target. So simple it's almost a requirement for street tuning!

I've read about some generic AFR targets for engines in general that produce the best fuel efficiency at cruise (15.5:1) and best power (13.2-13.4:1). Are these also the general AFR target ranges that I should be shooting for on a NA VQ35DE to accomplish those goals? I realize that I'll need 14.7 for idle purposes and then a gradient/slope to get me there in each table, with a map for economy and another for power.
Even though the ECU will let you enter more than 14.7 it won't actually target higher than 14.7. For NA, you want 14.7 for idle and cruising and 12.5-13.0 for WOT.

For my power map, is it safe to add a little timing across the entire IGN table compared to stock and then drive the engine to detect knock, trying to hit as many different cells as possible using the trace feature? Or do I need to target and test cells individually, working up until I detect knock, then moving the timing back to leave some wiggle room for bad gas?
You should really be on a dyno to mess with timing... more timing doesn't always mean more power... putting timing just before knock doesn't always mean max power... it's trial and error. Best thing you can do for now is get your A/F's corrected, you will see some gains from that and it's much safer. Once you get on a dyno you can worry about max power.

Quick Reply: Wanted: UpRev Tuning DIY - Tuning 101?