Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Ready to make the switch... Uprev-Haltech

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 02:37 AM
Eno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to make the switch... Uprev-Haltech

I got a lot of advice early on in my build to go with a Haltech... The shop that did my boosted tune dealt with Uprev so I did elect to go that route since they were the "go to" for me at the time and it made sense. In some ways I've regretted that move and others at least it was worth a shot. I bought the cable hoping that I would be able to spend enough time with it so that I could do some of my own adjustments but every aspect of it is foreign to me.

Last year I think it was that the new Haltech ECU came out and many guys with the MT platforms upgraded out of their platinum / pro kits and used Haltechs became available at a decent price.

The real driving factor right now is the local tuning scene tends to draw heavily on Haltech- it is more familiar and more available... meanwhile most scratch their heads when I even mention Uprev. Not to mention this idiotic problem I'm having when I drive over 110kph at relatively idle / cruising throttle settings- even people who are very knowledgeable have been unable to put their finger on it from a distance... and the locals don't know enough about uprev to do anything about it. I've had it.

I'm looking around the marketplaces and trying to figure out exactly what I'd need to adopt the Haltech... given that I'm an auto it seems to me I had one additional adapter harness I needed to buy...

I have a boost controller (Apexi AVCR) that I suspect I won't need anymore- probably don't need that upgraded Uprev GT MAF sensor... (right?)...

I do recall that keeping the Uprev license may have some benefits- but at the same time I'd like to offset some of the costs so I'm trying to decide if the benefits are worth the cost of the cable / license. Any insights on this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Eno; 05-22-2014 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:16 AM
tcode

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

With Plug in Haltech version you don't need uprev license/cable and MAF.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:35 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

using the red box harness (not the ECU replacement)

reasons to keep uprev. if any of these are important to you, then you want to keep it
1. increase idle rpm
2. disable codes
3. remove speed limiter (a must in a revup motor)
4. optimize throttle body response
Old 05-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Eno

This was the response I got from a local performance shop... I think he's under the assumption I wanted to go ECU version / pluggin since that's the one that wasn't supporting the auto...

I looked over your build and it honestly looked VERY promising... until I read it was Automatic. The Platinum Pro ECU's are really impressive and have great capabilities... but not with automatic, zero support.

I honestly don't have any great advise for this build. With a manual transmission the Platinum pro would cure all your problems, it no longer relies on any goofy software or way of fooling the factory computer into working. It no longer needs a MAF sensor to calculate load, and it works with the factory dash and canbus systems very well. The problem is the A/T is also controlled by the factory computer and not enough people have them to create the demand that Haltech requires.

I'm sure guys have tuned TT autos with Haltech before- granted I can't think of many with builds over 500... DAsh comes to mind and a couple others who have moved away from it (maybe for this reason lol).

I'll keep plugging away at it but that response wasn't promising...
Old 05-22-2014, 06:10 PM
Eno

Got another bit of feedback from them- and though I remain disappointed I was happy that he explained a little bit more of the particulars. This may be helpful to others as well so I thought I'd post it.

The older version as you are referring too has been discontinued for good reasons. The reason it was a harness originally is so the Haltech could control fuel and ignition and the factory computer could keep control of the throttle, as well as the CAN communication like the dash and tach ect. The truth is that the system worked... but not that great. Typically it still required a reflash from either COBB or Uprev to at least make the throttle linear, but other limitations including revving it past factory redline were impossible without reflashing as well because the factory ECU would just close the throttle.

Originally Haltech wasn't convinced the aftermarket ECU industry should be controlling throttle from a liability standpoint. After 3 years of research and significant hardware upgrades Haltech finally released the V2 which fully replaced the factory computer and gives us complete control over the throttle, so we can actually make exact and specific changes to the car properly.

Automatic transmissions make things MUCH more complicated even if we could control it because you never have a mechanical connection so trying to dial in a tune is very difficult.

I would suggest talking to JWT, or possibly Injected Performance (down in Kentucky) as they would likely have the most experience tuning these cars, especially with the Auto.

Sorry I couldn't be more use, I would rather turn you down then disappoint you later!

So the battle continues... this AT is truly proving to be a curse.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:50 AM
str8dum1

the red harness haltech works perfectly fine.

not sure what issues he had with it for him to form that opinion that it doesnt work great...
Old 05-27-2014, 11:42 AM
Eno

Yeah I was hoping to get some insights on that from people who had it or more familiar with it.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:57 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just use uprev + red box. Problem solved.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:08 PM
Eno

Right? So I don't know why this guy passed on me... I was practically money in the bank.

Lord knows I've blown more money on stupider things before...
Old 07-24-2015, 04:48 AM
mikesmad350z

i have uprev , and im thinking on making the switch aswell.....only one uprev tuner close and he prefers halteck. Would it be better to go full halteck , or as i see in previous comments...uprev+ red box?
Old 07-28-2015, 07:46 AM
str8dum1

obviously if you can afford the ecu replacement Haltech, thats the better option.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:35 AM
35reilly

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just started thinking of also going to a haltech myself. Im starting to learn more about the set up. I seem to be having issues with uprev and my plans are to do a few things this winter and in simple words. Turn it up a bit with power. So the red box i hear mentioned is haltech that u run with the factory computer with uprev?
Old 09-10-2015, 12:45 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I didnt read through the thread but I was running haltech in conjunction with uprev and i had minor issues that werent fixable on the car related to idle and throttle. My suggestion is either run uprev or if you go haltech make sure you get the unit that replaces your ECU not the one that piggy backs on it.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:17 AM
35reilly

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry if I'm not very informed on haltech. What are the advantages of haltech over the uprev? I'm running uprev now and seem to have issues with driveabilty. I'm tuned now at 19psi at bout 550rwhp. I'm planning on upgrading to 20g turbos and running few more psi of boost. I just started reading up on the haltech. I heard nothing bout good things so trying to figure pros\cons about it