Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Tuning w/ Boostane or Torco Octane Accelerator

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 08:55 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Tuning w/ Boostane or Torco Octane Accelerator

Hello all, I am currently rebuilding my motor for High compression and boost, and was wondering if anyone had ever tuned for a more aggressive map on either Boostane or Torco as opposed to using race gas, and how much did you gain from it after Tuning?

I noticed Z1 Motorsports advertise this product at their site and facility. I have read on Evo, Subi and other forums praising Boostane and Torco especially on how well it reduced knock and allowed more stablity in fuel and potential advance timing, often gaining at least 40+whp/tq with tuning.

I currently am using and plan on using a Methanol injection kit with a 10 Gph spray nozzle in conjunction with Boostane and was also wondering if it would be overkill on getting at least a number of 104 octane under WOT. Thanks.

Last edited by BluestreamDE; 12-03-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:58 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Its only my opinion but I think you're thinking backwards...dont tune for the dyno, tune for the street...if you tune with 110 octane(octane booster) then you should run 110 octane for your street driving and unless your using the octane booster with every tank of gas then you are setting yourself up for failure...

WTF do I know?? I'll be tuning with one grade-less-octane than I normally run. I'm also going to put a piece of cardboard my intercooler during my dyno tune. Seems back-assward but after the dyno tune, with a more-stable fuel and a intercooler is providing a decreased intake air temp I'll have much higher confidence in my tune and the engines ability to hold the power.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:02 AM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by bealljk
Its only my opinion but I think you're thinking backwards...dont tune for the dyno, tune for the street...if you tune with 110 octane(octane booster) then you should run 110 octane for your street driving and unless your using the octane booster with every tank of gas then you are setting yourself up for failure...

WTF do I know?? I'll be tuning with one grade-less-octane than I normally run. I'm also going to put a piece of cardboard my intercooler during my dyno tune. Seems back-assward but after the dyno tune, with a more-stable fuel and a intercooler is providing a decreased intake air temp I'll have much higher confidence in my tune and the engines ability to hold the power.
I think I didn't explain myself well. This is just a question I want answered for a seperate aggressive tune. I do my own tuning. I have a 93 pump map, 93+Meth, and want to venture into using higher octane with Boostane with Meth and 93. It's not like I will be using the same map on the street, this is why UpRev has 5 slots to modify in the tune.

Last edited by BluestreamDE; 12-03-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:53 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

that makes a little more sense ... use that tune when you have the octane booster in the tank...

are you dyno tuning yourself or road tuning yourself, both??
Old 12-03-2016, 12:58 PM
BluestreamDE

that makes a little more sense ... use that tune when you have the octane booster in the tank...

are you dyno tuning yourself or road tuning yourself, both??
Right now, I only street tune and data log my wot runs, as well as log my daily driving. At first I was tuning with a friend of mine, now I do it myself since I have the basic understanding of how everything works together and I make changes based on the logs as well as monitor my Innovate MTX wideband I have installed to log my AFR/Lambda during runs thru UpRev. That's how I've been learning. I would only rent a dyno to see where I am at with power.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:58 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
only street tune and data log
assuming you've left the timing for the dyno tune? I sorta enjoy the street tuning & data logging side of things.

From what I've learned (and don't take my word on this - research to confirm) your engine will be very tolerant of a wide variety of AFRs - you can run relatively lean without detonating. While your timing is a different animal. You'll pop your engine far sooner with a bad ignition tune as compared to a bad AFR tune. I would imagine the octane-boost would have more influence and provide a bigger security blanket once you start tuning your timing.

Last edited by bealljk; 12-03-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:44 AM
BluestreamDE

assuming you've left the timing for the dyno tune? I sorta enjoy the street tuning & data logging side of things.

From what I've learned (and don't take my word on this - research to confirm) your engine will be very tolerant of a wide variety of AFRs - you can run relatively lean without detonating. While your timing is a different animal. You'll pop your engine far sooner with a bad ignition tune as compared to a bad AFR tune. I would imagine the octane-boost would have more influence and provide a bigger security blanket once you start tuning your timing.
I do adjust timing on the street, I monitor knock strength and make sure my high detonation table is minus at least 8°. I also check to see if I picked up speed in the log monitoring time and mph. If my changes to timing increased my mph in that time of the run compared to the previous log, I'd keep the change as long as knock was not present. If there is no change on the rate of speed I back out on the timing to reduce unnecessary cylinder pressure.

I've been tuning on .78-.79 Lambda or in AFR, 11.5-11.7 at wot and was running 21° advance timing going down to 19° from 5400 to redline With Meth injection and no knock at all. Before I was running super rich like 10.8- 11.3 with Meth and decided to run leaner taking advantage of the added octane Meth provided with great results in power.

I agree that the octane booster would help to blanket detonation especially since higher compression is more unforgiving. Also with more octane, there is more potential for power thru tuning, not on the ragged edge, but enough to safety increase power and keep it safe.