Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

UPREV Blues... No longer able to turn of DTC codes by Law

Old 02-17-2017, 12:26 AM
karletto66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seymore4
Its a bad idea to go along with it when the federal govt forces you to do something?

Its called the tuner version because you can tune yourself.. no restrictions on that.

They've only raised the price ONCE in the history of the company, and that's been over a year ago now. Its called inflation. When every year their employees want to get paid more, their rent increases, taxes go up... how are they supposed to keep the price the same forever?? How much was your salary in 2005 vs 2016?

You seem like a really smart guy
Thanks for compliment, coming from a GENIUS like u is that !

Go to buy a Matiz and stay on federal law...
USA is becoming a place of very funny laws, they don't take care if you put bi turbo on engine but about removing pollution test (that u can avoit with other hardware way)
Really smart thinking, to take care of that....

The price has to be go DOWN after 10 years, is called selling OLD pruducts that doesn't need more developing.
You sell always the same product and need 1 empoyer on it maybe, no more 10...

I see u are really smart in market business...
Old 02-17-2017, 02:25 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its evident that the software is still being supported and updated, Not really an "old" product if new features are released. Additionally they have clear market advantage in this space. Last I check, there is no intermediate tuning solution for the Z33 platform.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:30 AM
karletto66

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
Its evident that the software is still being supported and updated, Not really an "old" product if new features are released. Additionally they have clear market advantage in this space. Last I check, there is no intermediate tuning solution for the Z33 platform.
Features REMOVED better to say...

And also the law about emission is really "funny" : you can map the ECU, put twin turbo and have lot more pollution and you cannot disable the LIGHT on dashboard ?
In pollution testing in USA they look for light or "sniff" the gas emissions ?

So seems to me a really BAD way to prevent pollution. If they want you can simply FORBID to sell such softwares. That is more logic. In italy for example all this mods are NOT legal, so you can buy what you want FOR RACE not for normal usage. And if you use on streets is YOUR problem.
Seems me really stupid to sell a "cutted" software for this motivation...

Last edited by karletto66; 02-27-2017 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:36 AM
ZMoneyPIT

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Checking an engine light in which all cars are now equipped with turns out to be a much easier and cheaper solution because 98% if people on the road aren't doing anything to their vehicles. Adding a turbo can increase emissions from the vehicle but running a cat can still make the pollution "acceptable." We are also a nation of many states and each state has different requirements unlike Italy I assume. Making a blanket law like no car modification is un-American.
This slight change to the software keeps them in compliance, keeps their business, and still allows people to tune their cars freely. Smart if you ask me. Don't like it? Go spend 2400 on a haltech sour puss.

Last edited by ZMoneyPIT; 02-27-2017 at 05:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZMoneyPIT:
BluestreamDE (02-27-2017), seymore4 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 10:20 PM
karletto66

Really ?
For pollution test they check THE LIGHT ?
Really really ?
BIG BIG BIG LOL !
In that case take out the light from dashboard, is easy...

PS: some guys wrote me pm for the "old" version : i'm not able from days to send PM, i don't understand why. I get an error from firefox, of page not found. Maybe is the pollution...
So if someone is interested write me pm with mail address and i'll send a link, directly.

Last edited by karletto66; 02-27-2017 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old 02-28-2017, 11:19 AM
ZMoneyPIT

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Not a light... A CODE! That says your O2 sensors aren't reading correctly possibly meaning a faulty cat...
Old 02-28-2017, 11:35 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

2x o2 extenders will not throw a code with test pipes/full exhaust. Single exhaust catless turbo with only one o2 extended will not throw a code either.
I've had both setups and passed emissions
Old 02-28-2017, 10:46 PM
karletto66

Originally Posted by ZMoneyPIT
Not a light... A CODE! That says your O2 sensors aren't reading correctly possibly meaning a faulty cat...
You say LIGHT up, now a code...
So they read the ecu with some scan tools ?
Different behaviuor in every different car ?
Is better and more smart to SNIFF the emissions...
Old 02-28-2017, 10:46 PM
karletto66

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
2x o2 extenders will not throw a code with test pipes/full exhaust. Single exhaust catless turbo with only one o2 extended will not throw a code either.
I've had both setups and passed emissions
Exactly....

Really SMART law, you cheat and pass test and pollution is the same....
Really smart...
Old 03-01-2017, 07:16 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Before in Massachusetts they used to hmake you hook your exhaust up to a machine to read emissions which stopped people from tricking the sensors to passing. They stopped that though...people just hooked up different cars to do illegal stickers
Old 03-14-2017, 08:55 PM
evan@uprev
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karletto66
Thanks for compliment, coming from a GENIUS like u is that !

Go to buy a Matiz and stay on federal law...
USA is becoming a place of very funny laws, they don't take care if you put bi turbo on engine but about removing pollution test (that u can avoit with other hardware way)
Really smart thinking, to take care of that....

The price has to be go DOWN after 10 years, is called selling OLD pruducts that doesn't need more developing.
You sell always the same product and need 1 empoyer on it maybe, no more 10...

I see u are really smart in market business...
Hi karletto66,

I'm sorry you feel this way. If it helps, I'd like to take a little bit to try and explain to you a small part of the software development process, perhaps then you will understand why a 10 year old software maintains/increases in price.

Firstly, the ROM Editor (and all other software we develop) is developed using what is called "continuous integration/continuous development" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_integration). This means that while there was an initial software that was released a long time ago, small changes have been continuously made to this old software over the years, and over time the old version becomes deprecated. Because of this the current software is very different from the old version, whether you are able to see the changes made or not (many of the software updates are made without end-user knowledge since they are targeted at the tuners rather than the customers of the tuners).

Secondly, we need far more than 1 employer to do this job on the development side of things. There are many things that the average user has no idea about that take a large amount of time for only a few developers to take care of. We aim to please everyone, however since not every end-user has the same priorities, that becomes difficult and we have a very limited amount of time.

Finally as for the DTC removal, this was an unfortunate but necessary update we had to make. This wasn't in our control, however hopefully in the near future this will be rectified.
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 02:26 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by evan@uprev
Hi karletto66,

...Finally as for the DTC removal, this was an unfortunate but necessary update we had to make. This wasn't in our control, however hopefully in the near future this will be rectified.

Honestly not having the ability to remove codes on DTC is my only issue with UpRev. As a self tuner it was a bit hard to understand the hex language but I eventually learned a lot with This software on tuning, especially with the various pdfs on the site (Maybe elaborate on K multiplier a bit more or generate a calculator with preloaded general values for type of cc injector used and MAF housing size) It still is a great tool for myself and my car.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:21 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

I still don't see how this is an issue.

I really think you guys should fight or try to fight back. Sure you encourage it, but that is not criminal. You offer a product with a capability, what they do with that should not fall on you guys.

Its like banning computer companies from giving people and techs access to roms and computer files, or the web... Because they "could" do bad or illegal things.

I really hope this gets over turned. I hate when big gov does this crap when there is much bigger and more important things to focus on.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:15 AM
karletto66

Originally Posted by evan@uprev
Hi karletto66,

I'm sorry you feel this way. If it helps, I'd like to take a little bit to try and explain to you a small part of the software development process, perhaps then you will understand why a 10 year old software maintains/increases in price.

Firstly, the ROM Editor (and all other software we develop) is developed using what is called "continuous integration/continuous development" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_integration). This means that while there was an initial software that was released a long time ago, small changes have been continuously made to this old software over the years, and over time the old version becomes deprecated. Because of this the current software is very different from the old version, whether you are able to see the changes made or not (many of the software updates are made without end-user knowledge since they are targeted at the tuners rather than the customers of the tuners).

Secondly, we need far more than 1 employer to do this job on the development side of things. There are many things that the average user has no idea about that take a large amount of time for only a few developers to take care of. We aim to please everyone, however since not every end-user has the same priorities, that becomes difficult and we have a very limited amount of time.

Finally as for the DTC removal, this was an unfortunate but necessary update we had to make. This wasn't in our control, however hopefully in the near future this will be rectified.
I OWN a software company developing programs for Hospitals from 15 years so i know well thet price is made by one factor : NO other makes similar software for these NISSAN (or are very old or is very specialized and expensive). So you made the price you want. That's the trick...

Is called "dominant position". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominance_(economics)
If there was other software (maybe free as for example a lot other ecu brands) for sure you have to lower the fee.
I CAN map my Nissan ecu in Italy in "normal" way but is quite difficult tricky...
I CAN map my Turbo gasoline Audi ecu in 2 minutes with a 15 euro cable and FREE (not hacked, FREE!) software...
That's the "lucky" for your business.

But i don't complain, no one HAS to buy so you can ask what you want, is a choice of buyers....

But such a software for sure has developing expenses and time lot lower than a new one, all "technology" is almost already knew by your men and that is totally different from develop a brand new one tool.
Anyway yours is a SMART tool and i have buyed lot of time ago, never hacked also if is possible ( no interest in doing that and little tricky for me) and only say that selling at lower price maybe is a better marketing way (lower price-more selling, these cars are becoming old and more people can buy with less money)

About DTC removing i'm really smiling about this USA law, sometimes is really ILARIUS (you can put biturbo solution remove pollution dtc in hard way without problems from masking led to use distancers), i understand you had to remove to avoid legal problems, not your fault.
Why the simply don't "sniff" emitions ? Is very easy, in that way you can take out DTC lights but u are fu%ked the same...

Last edited by karletto66; 03-27-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:18 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by amr_electron
Thanks for sharing. But how about upgrading the cable firmware, Does this have any effect or was it only disabled in ROMeditor.exe ?

I would like to know this also.

I have not updated both in years
Old 04-06-2017, 01:46 AM
karletto66

Originally Posted by Frostydc4
I would like to know this also.

I have not updated both in years
If all is working good for your car WHY upgrade firmware ?
Usually new firmware is needed for new implementation of software or maybe new ECU compatibility...
So if all is good don't care about that...
Old 05-23-2017, 11:39 AM
karletto66

Sorry to write again but some friends wrote me asking old software...
I'm not able from days to send PM, i don't understand why. I get an error from firefox, of page not found. Maybe is the pollution...
So if someone is interested write me pm with mail address and i'll send a link, directly.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:28 AM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you update the firmware on your cable then there is no going back from what I hear.

I wish I never did. My car is race only. It never sees the street. Its not registered and does not have tags on it so preventing me from disabling some codes pretty much sucks big time. There are no emissions stuff left on the car because its a race car. I also use an 87mm GM TB that works ok for the most part, but it did occasionally throw TB codes that would put the car into limp mode which pretty much means I can't drive it.

I understand Uprev's stance on this, but I wish exceptions could be made for cases like mine where the car is not ever on the street so no foul towards the EPA whatsoever.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:53 PM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does ECUTEK support 350z's or just the 370?

I recently removed my tune. I have my tuned rom saved, does this mean when I reload my tune I will throw DTC codes? I only have intake/Art pipes/ and Exhaust??
Old 06-01-2017, 05:05 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by rich2342
Does ECUTEK support 350z's or just the 370?

I recently removed my tune. I have my tuned rom saved, does this mean when I reload my tune I will throw DTC codes? I only have intake/Art pipes/ and Exhaust??

Only if you update the UpRev Software with Uprev Updater. As long as you have your old updated programs u will be fine.. DTC codes wont come up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UPREV Blues... No longer able to turn of DTC codes by Law