Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

HR swap into an 03

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Amarao

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoooper
pretty outrageous assumption. considering the only real way to order it is to order through a dealer (even if you order online its through a registered dealer), NNA has no idea if its broken or not.
How is that an outrageous assumption? You can't order nismo edition body parts unless you actually own one. The VR engines are hand built and in low numbers, so I'm sure Nissan is very selective as to where the parts go. But if you'd like to prove me wrong, go for it.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:53 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Amarao
How is that an outrageous assumption? You can't order nismo edition body parts unless you actually own one. The VR engines are hand built and in low numbers, so I'm sure Nissan is very selective as to where the parts go. But if you'd like to prove me wrong, go for it.

https://my350z.com/forum/body-exteri...r-special.html

https://my350z.com/forum/body-exteri...ar-bumper.html

Old 08-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Lightning Guy

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KhanMan
so for this mod do we need an ecu swap also?
At least. I'm thinking a stand alone ECU is the minimum requirement.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:31 PM
KhanMan

I would think the ECU would be the hard part of this, not to mention harder to obtain?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:46 PM
KhanMan

Kind of like the HR except custom http://www.speedforceracing.com/prod...y_g35imani.php
Old 08-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Lightning Guy

I would think the ECU would be the hard part of this, not to mention harder to obtain?

I don't know if it is worht the gamble of even trying an OE ECU, the A/F ratio will be really skewed with the bigger TBs and MAFs. As well as the kick down and tip in.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Lightning Guy

That is part of my plan, if the DE intake will fit then I will jus torder one from them, if not then I'll purchase an HR plenum and do some measurements for cleance and send them the intake manifold to machine the lower plate for. I think I posted that pic a few pages back
Old 08-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by Amarao
I'm sure VR plenums and such will be available in the near future, if nothing else for powdercoating and stuff. Plus my best friend picked up his GTR this past Monday, so I have a VIN if I needed.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:21 PM
KhanMan

Originally Posted by Lightning Guy
That is part of my plan, if the DE intake will fit then I will jus torder one from them, if not then I'll purchase an HR plenum and do some measurements for cleance and send them the intake manifold to machine the lower plate for. I think I posted that pic a few pages back
But, if you do use the HR parts are you going to dual TB? If so won't that require a new ECU, custom ECU or something? If you are just going with the HR plenum in single TB setup will that give us DE owners more power? If you are able, can you see if the VQ37HR is any better or can yield us more power?
Old 08-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Morris

Of topic, but I see the GTR is in the house! Looks like time for a field trip.

I'm sure VR plenums and such will be available in the near future, if nothing else for powdercoating and stuff. Plus my best friend picked up his GTR this past Monday, so I have a VIN if I needed.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:52 AM
Amarao

Looks like I'm eating my words on this one. lol
Old 08-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by Morris
Of topic, but I see the GTR is in the house! Looks like time for a field trip.
The GTR is a Bomb!!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:40 AM
UpRev
Banned

I'm probably going to have to use a stand alone. I assume there are tuners out there will be willing to otry tuning it. I think stnd alone will be the only way to really get it to run.

I didn't actually work on the car, I made a 78mm TB that we just couldn't get to tune. It made power for sure, for a short time until the ECU went into limp mode. Doug sent it to the PLayboy team to see if they could do anything with it. I don't know if they really fooled with it much or not but they returned it. The part that was killing Doug, was when the voltage did not match the feedback with the stock ECu and UTEC. I figured with a standalone that could be ignored or tuned around.

This will be one ugly Hybrid if I can get it to work, but WTH I like a puzzle.

Haven't read the full thread yet, but depending on if you have time, we'll be working on HR support shortly. Just find a stock plenum and intake from a totalled car, grab the ECU also. I'm sure we can help figure out the minor stuff.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:49 AM
UpRev
Banned

Exclamation

I don't know if it is worht the gamble of even trying an OE ECU, the A/F ratio will be really skewed with the bigger TBs and MAFs. As well as the kick down and tip in.
We can scale MAFs with the stock ECU so it shouldn't be a problem at all once we get the HR support going. Doing twin intakes like the HR setup has makes life easy though, no real need velocity/flow wise to go to larger.

The single big throttle body we've done, full prototype, was expensive as hell for very little gain and wouldn't really recommend it unless it was just for the show factor. We just wanted to see if our software was up to snuff for custom things and it worked great, the throttle body didn't work very well though.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:53 AM
infinite

Wouldn't it be cheaper to get a used 07 350z or something?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:09 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by infinite
He already has the car, and the motor. How would it be cheaper to gut a whole new car?
Old 08-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pmohr@Altered
With an adapter, an HR manifold has been bolted up to the DE. Not sure how they worked out wiring for the dual TBs, though.
they run a standalone
Old 08-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by infinite
That kind of defeats the purpose. I want light wieght and each year they get heavier and heavier. I'm already stripped down as far as she'll go with out the big dollar items.

I've also only $350 in the long block and it is only missing a few things.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by UpRev
We can scale MAFs with the stock ECU so it shouldn't be a problem at all once we get the HR support going. Doing twin intakes like the HR setup has makes life easy though, no real need velocity/flow wise to go to larger.

The single big throttle body we've done, full prototype, was expensive as hell for very little gain and wouldn't really recommend it unless it was just for the show factor. We just wanted to see if our software was up to snuff for custom things and it worked great, the throttle body didn't work very well though.

In a nut shell I was wanting to the the GTM cams, Dual 69mm TBs on an HR, can the stock ECU deal with that?
Old 08-25-2008, 06:39 PM
UpRev
Banned

In a nut shell I was wanting to the the GTM cams, Dual 69mm TBs on an HR, can the stock ECU deal with that?
Sure, the ECU is actually quite a bit more powerful than any aftermarket ECU, it's just a matter of us figuring out the code that runs the HR ECU. We've already gotten the kung-fu grip on the previous ECU, HR is just around the corner.

My only question deals with the need for bigger throttle bodies, you can do it but to what real gain? I know it seems pedestrian when trying to do something custom, but messing with that causes alot of tuning stress as that's an unknown at this point. Plus you could spend the money on something else that makes your car perform better.

Quick Reply: HR swap into an 03