Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

50-55 mph Whistle when cold

Old 09-25-2009, 06:11 AM
danlee1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread but did anyone come to some conclusive theory on this? Mine also makes the whistling sound but it doesn't happen just in cold weather. It sounds as though it could be a seal or something that compromised the aerodynamics but I can't seem to find it....very frustrating.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:37 AM
Peak350

Mine went away.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:24 PM
ODEHBOY

Guys, i had the same exact problem, took it to the dealer they said they didn't hear anything. And i kno for a fact the car was making the whistling noise early in the morning when i went to college, so i told the tech im gonna leave the car at the dealer, and i want him to ride with me in the car. So i went to the dealer and he rode with me and it was pretty cold out too. It whistled, so they said that they had some sort of device they can hear is coming from the tranny? so they said their going to replace the tranny in which they did. The problems sure did go away, i read up alot about this, and it sure did work.

Also, i did have the JWT intake and it made the whistling noise with and without the JWT. hope this helps.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:03 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by ODEHBOY
Guys, i had the same exact problem, took it to the dealer they said they didn't hear anything. And i kno for a fact the car was making the whistling noise early in the morning when i went to college, so i told the tech im gonna leave the car at the dealer, and i want him to ride with me in the car. So i went to the dealer and he rode with me and it was pretty cold out too. It whistled, so they said that they had some sort of device they can hear is coming from the tranny? so they said their going to replace the tranny in which they did. The problems sure did go away, i read up alot about this, and it sure did work.

Also, i did have the JWT intake and it made the whistling noise with and without the JWT. hope this helps.
Yeah, come to think of it, mine went away after I did a fluid change.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:18 AM
danlee1

Hmmm...the noise on mine doesn't seem to go away after a few mins. It does seem to vary day to day however, which is baffling to me. It started a couple of years ago...pretty irritating.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:14 PM
ODEHBOY

Originally Posted by danlee1
Hmmm...the noise on mine doesn't seem to go away after a few mins. It does seem to vary day to day however, which is baffling to me. It started a couple of years ago...pretty irritating.
do you still have warranty? if so i'd have them just replace ur whole transmission. when they were trying to figure out my problem they even replaced my motor mounts, and clutch
Old 01-08-2015, 09:12 PM
QuickSilver94

sorry guys i dont mean to be reviving an ancient and old thread, but i recently changed my tranny oil with lucas 75w-90 synthetic gear oil (it "exceeded ratings for gl 4, gl 5, mt1" and a few others) i knew that tranny needs gl4 and lsd is gl5, and i thought exceeding the ratings should be good right? (i only changed tranny, not lsd oil)

anyways i change the oil on a lift and use a pump to pump the oil up into the tranny

after a few miles i noticed shifting got a bit more notchy (drove home right afterwards).

the next day (very cold day) i noticed a whining noise (like a jet engine increasing speed) from 35-40 mph and going from 3rd to 4th, but it gets a deeper tone when in 4th (still, sounds like its increasing speed)

silent in 5th

slight whining noise in 6th that came and went (at a constant whine, no hint at speed change [then again, i was at a constant speed of about 70-75ish])

recently i started noticing that it is HARD to get into first and second, and even more so if not at a complete 100% stop. it seems to lessen a little bit when the engine and tranny are fully warmed up, however still much notchier than normal, but noise is still there, and it wasnt there before i changed the tranny oil, it started after the change, also noticed that when im pushing in my clutch, it feels as if its "forcing fluid out from behind the clutch" as if there is a thick fluid behind it and im having to push through, however is it a slight difference but still noticeable.

I asked a few knowledgable people and they said it sounds like my tranny has oil starvation and that the tranny holds 3.3-ish quarts, however i used a full 3.8-4.0 quarts. (maybe too much oil?) (also got an answer for worn out synchros)

car is 08 6mt with 67k miles, and ive only had the car for 2weeks...
therefore...
i dont have enough knowledge of trannies or enough personal experience with my z to be able to make judgements so im shooting out to all my fellow *****s in the z and g community.

any help or tips or feedback is appreciated

P.S. i got an appt with a nissan tech tomorrow and we'll see how things go and i'll report back to this forum (unless of course, there is a more current thread then please point me in the right direction). (is there a praying emoji?)
Old 01-09-2015, 04:26 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

We told you on facebook days ago to get that crap out your tranny and put the proper oil in it. The car was fine, you changed the oil and put the wrong type in. Now you kept driving and its worse. What more advice do you need?
Old 01-09-2015, 05:52 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by QuickSilver94
sorry guys i dont mean to be reviving an ancient and old thread, but i recently changed my tranny oil with lucas 75w-90 synthetic gear oil (it "exceeded ratings for gl 4, gl 5, mt1" and a few others) i knew that tranny needs gl4 and lsd is gl5, and i thought exceeding the ratings should be good right? (i only changed tranny, not lsd oil)

anyways i change the oil on a lift and use a pump to pump the oil up into the tranny

after a few miles i noticed shifting got a bit more notchy (drove home right afterwards).

the next day (very cold day) i noticed a whining noise (like a jet engine increasing speed) from 35-40 mph and going from 3rd to 4th, but it gets a deeper tone when in 4th (still, sounds like its increasing speed)

silent in 5th

slight whining noise in 6th that came and went (at a constant whine, no hint at speed change [then again, i was at a constant speed of about 70-75ish])

recently i started noticing that it is HARD to get into first and second, and even more so if not at a complete 100% stop. it seems to lessen a little bit when the engine and tranny are fully warmed up, however still much notchier than normal, but noise is still there, and it wasnt there before i changed the tranny oil, it started after the change, also noticed that when im pushing in my clutch, it feels as if its "forcing fluid out from behind the clutch" as if there is a thick fluid behind it and im having to push through, however is it a slight difference but still noticeable.

I asked a few knowledgable people and they said it sounds like my tranny has oil starvation and that the tranny holds 3.3-ish quarts, however i used a full 3.8-4.0 quarts. (maybe too much oil?) (also got an answer for worn out synchros)

car is 08 6mt with 67k miles, and ive only had the car for 2weeks...
therefore...
i dont have enough knowledge of trannies or enough personal experience with my z to be able to make judgements so im shooting out to all my fellow *****s in the z and g community.

any help or tips or feedback is appreciated

P.S. i got an appt with a nissan tech tomorrow and we'll see how things go and i'll report back to this forum (unless of course, there is a more current thread then please point me in the right direction). (is there a praying emoji?)
Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
We told you on facebook days ago to get that crap out your tranny and put the proper oil in it. The car was fine, you changed the oil and put the wrong type in. Now you kept driving and its worse. What more advice do you need?

You knowingly used the wrong oil, then question why you are having issues?

I guess you can't fix stupid, right jiggy?
Old 01-09-2015, 10:59 PM
QuickSilver94

no, i didnt not, i used 75w-90 GL4 and gl5 rated, if this isnt the right fluid, then tell me what is?

i also got a tranny oil change at a nissan dealer (oem fluid) and the noise is still here...

Last edited by QuickSilver94; 01-09-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:59 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

no, i didnt not, i used 75w-90 GL4 and gl5 rated, if this isnt the right fluid, then tell me what is?

i also got a tranny oil change at a nissan dealer (oem fluid) and the noise is still here...

The weight is fine. However, it's been commonly noted that the Z transmission only likes GL-4. That means NO GL-5 or GL-4/5. None.

The FSM specifically states GL-4.

GL-5 is too "slippery" and will damage the synchros.

It's also been noted that lots of the dealers will pour in GL-5 without reading the FSM. If the noise is still there, they either dumped in GL-5, or you ran long enough with the wrong oil to cause some other damage.

Last edited by Syner; 01-10-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:26 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The damage may have already been done. You believed Lucas Oil marketing crap, that sucks but lesson learned.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:48 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Syner
It's also been noted that lots of the dealers will pour in GL-5 without reading the FSM. If the noise is still there, they either dumped in GL-5, or you ran long enough with the wrong oil to cause some other damage.
This! I never had a tranny issue until the dealership changed my fluid. Ended up needing a new tranny after about 75-100 miles of driving. It destroyed my synchros so quickly.

I recommend doing a flush and using Redline MT-85. It's made specifically for the Z/G, and IMO blows away the OEM fluid.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:49 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
The damage may have already been done. You believed Lucas Oil marketing crap, that sucks but lesson learned.
Yes, I couldn't believe how quickly the tranny got damaged on mine. Like I said in my previous post, under 100 miles of driving.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:48 PM
Doodles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, i had the same issue for about a year. It comes only when engine is cold. When it warmed up this whistle sound gone away. As my friend told me: if something should broke - it would. So just ride and wait )) 2008 58k km