bump from the dead...

I'm waiting for serious review on:
exedy stage 1 and 2 with exedy flywheel
and osgiken dual plate.

do they mess up the CSC?????
Old 06-24-2009, 03:18 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I will do a review on the OS GIKEN clutch as soon as I install it.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Ataru074

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by midz350
I'm seriously thinking about going for the OS GIKEN too...

if you don't mind could you do something quite useful?
do a video of how the RPM are going down right now... from, let say.. at least 4K to 1K...
press the clutch, rev to 4K.. let it go to idle couple of times..
and than do it with the os giken....

just curious to see if it drops rpm quite faster or isn't really noticeable.

I don't expect to be quick like a racing tilton clutch (that isn't available for the VQ35HR btw)... but at least a lot quicker than the stock one.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:00 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by midz350
Mine is getting installed tomorrow (DE though).

JDM ****

Name:  IMG_0237.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  10.7 KB
Old 06-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Mamounas123

Quick question guys. I heard that lightweight flywheels are bad for drag racing is this true? One of my buddies told me that the lightweight flywheels dont handle abuse as a regular flywheel since there aluminum and they shatter. Anybody with experience shed some light on this since I was planning on getting the JWT combo Flywheel and clutch?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by Mamounas123
Quick question guys. I heard that lightweight flywheels are bad for drag racing is this true? One of my buddies told me that the lightweight flywheels dont handle abuse as a regular flywheel since there aluminum and they shatter. Anybody with experience shed some light on this since I was planning on getting the JWT combo Flywheel and clutch?
The JWT's suck for drag racing, but not because of the AL flywheel.

Personally, I want an iron (or stock) flywheel back on my car, with a grabbier than stock clutch disc and stock pressure plate.

Just an opinion though.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Ataru074

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Mine is getting installed tomorrow (DE though).

JDM ****

can you please do the same?
video before and after? clutch pressed down.

(I'm asking because I'm fighting with my flywheel on the track... is too heavy and takes too long to lose revs. It's annoying upshifting and it's even annoying braking.. because you have to slow down even the engine in a low gear)
Old 06-24-2009, 06:12 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

I'll see what I can do. I have some vids of the car with the stock set-up and I will take some later this week.

I should mention this is a super single......not a dual plate.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Ataru074

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I'll see what I can do. I have some vids of the car with the stock set-up and I will take some later this week.
I really appreciate that.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:32 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They don't make a single disk for the HR, only twins, triples and quads. While something custom could possibly be done, the purpose of these is not to be super light, as that kills driveability. The Single disk with the steel cover for the DE's weighs 27.5 lbs, and 27lbs for the aluminum cover version. Few lbs lighter than stock

Especially in the case of multidisks, it is not going to rev appreciably different than stock, as the weight doesn't differ much (nearly identical to stock actually)

We have the known weights and specs listed in the drivetrain section of our site for those interested.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:27 AM
Ataru074

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
We have the known weights and specs listed in the drivetrain section of our site for those interested.
stock assembly (on the DE) is about 46lbs.. I don't know if the HR is even heavier
the osgiken twin disk is about 36lbs...
tilton (for the DE) 17.9 with the bonus of really small diameter rotating masses.
jwt assembly is estimated 36/38lbs
Old 06-26-2009, 09:50 AM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems the general recommendation is not to go with the JWT set up becasue the CSC could possibly give out. I'm guessing this goes for other clutch setups, besides ATS, as they would use the same CSC?

I've also heard around some of the threads that the JWT setup tends to break the CSC when the car is pushing more hp than stock. So would I still be taking a chance with the JWT clutch if stock? Excuse my ignorance.

Does anyone know if ATS does something different to their twin clutch system than the OS Giken twin clutch to specifically rid the car of CSC issues? Or, another way of putting it is, does OS Giken eliminate the CSC problem?

Seems the only reliable alternatives are stick with stock or do the ATS. I hoping there's more.

Ataru074, would be interested in knowing what you end up with.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Peak350

Lost my CSC on a stock engine with JWT setup. 10k miles to failure, a new one was put in, 1k miles later got the clutch and flywheel, 9k miles later lost my slave.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

The issue surrounding the CSC, we suspect, is related to the amount of pressure the fingers of the pressure plate exert. A single disk clutch has to have stiffer fingers on the pressure plate because there is only 1 clutch disk in order for it to hold a meaningful amount more torque vs stock. On the flipside, the multidisk clutches can get away with lighter pressure plates because there are more friction disks in the first place. What is odd, is that the CSC issues are still relatively isolated - while a fair number of people have reported issues, it hasn't been a widespread issue which is why Nissan has just been replacing it, vs issuing a TSB (at least I'm not aware of it moving to recall status yet)
Old 06-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Ataru074

/rant mode.
I want a tilton!
I want a DAMN tilton.

about the CSC.. there is a revised part for the 350z (HR engine) and it's the same that is installed on the 370 and G37. considering that is less than 80$ for the revised CSC and hosing (also that is revised) I guess is a good safety investment to change it.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I wanted a Tilton for my car till I drove it - it had 0 driveability to it, and was insanely grabby. No manners whatsoever. Upside was it's low weight, but I just could not use that thing even if the car was a pure track toy
Old 06-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Ataru074

I wanted a Tilton for my car till I drove it - it had 0 driveability to it, and was insanely grabby. No manners whatsoever. Upside was it's low weight, but I just could not use that thing even if the car was a pure track toy
I had something like that on my racecar... it's insane, I love it.
of course. no traffic driving at all. stop by... and when the road are clean restart. It's the only way.

I know I'll learn how to live with the os giken... because there aren't any real alternative as quality. but to me the 2K+ (including new CSC and install) is going to be bittesweet.. because I know it isn't what I'm really looking for.

but I cannot wait too much longer.. last saturday my cutch was slipping in the 4th to 5th gear change on the track. ( I wasn't powershifting)
Old 06-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Peak350

The issue surrounding the CSC, we suspect, is related to the amount of pressure the fingers of the pressure plate exert. A single disk clutch has to have stiffer fingers on the pressure plate because there is only 1 clutch disk in order for it to hold a meaningful amount more torque vs stock. On the flipside, the multidisk clutches can get away with lighter pressure plates because there are more friction disks in the first place. What is odd, is that the CSC issues are still relatively isolated - while a fair number of people have reported issues, it hasn't been a widespread issue which is why Nissan has just been replacing it, vs issuing a TSB (at least I'm not aware of it moving to recall status yet)
Yup, which is why a multidisc (or grabbier material) seems to be the right approach to go.

I drag raced a lot on the CSC that failed, probably only 30-40 passes, but it got 6 hotlapped passes and saw some abuse...
Originally Posted by Ataru074
/rant mode.
I want a tilton!
I want a DAMN tilton.

about the CSC.. there is a revised part for the 350z (HR engine) and it's the same that is installed on the 370 and G37. considering that is less than 80$ for the revised CSC and hosing (also that is revised) I guess is a good safety investment to change it.
Thats what I had fail.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I'm sure the CSC in the bellhousing isn't doing much for reliability either. That being said, perhaps there is one from a different car that could work? Time will tell, I have one very good source that is going to start looking into this.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:24 PM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Peak350, sorry to hear about your clutch issues. Are you still running the JWT setup?

Z1 Performance, I can't remember if you told me this already, but how streetable are the twin clutch systems such as the ATS and OS Giken etc. for stock or near stock hp setups?
Keep us posted on your source's findings. Sounds hopeful.

Ataru074, the revised part you mention, is that what the recall replaces the old CSC with? Sounds like Peak350 still had the CSC fail after replacement.

Quick Reply: HR - Aftermarket Clutch & Flywheel