Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

VQ40 block swap in VQ35HR Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 PM
tilleys99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have a vq40de crank and rods layin around, i have a vq35hr in my garage that has bad bearings and needs repaired.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:20 PM
stealthz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe it would actually be easier to swap the vq40de into the older z's as the head technology is more similar than the HR.... the vq40 actually has a better head design and a stronger bottom end, than the older DE's... there is the deck height situation which is solved with an hr hood... and swapping in the vq35de cams and using the plenum from the 03-05 DEs and the upper oil pan, the sensors are interchangeable enough that you would be able to retain using your vq35de sensors and wiring harness and ecu with the vq40... I'm just curious which clutch set-up the vq40 would be using the DE, or Hr or something new.... I'm assuming the Hr since the short block seems to be more similar to the the Hr as the rest of the motor seems more like a refined DE motor, the timing covers are very similar to The 03-05 de's.... It seems as if nissan just made a DE motor out of the block and heads that the Hr share in common
Old 07-30-2009, 07:20 PM
tilleys99

VQ40 heads are almost identical too vq35de i have a set im using in my new motor for my 240sx.

Originally Posted by stealthz
I believe it would actually be easier to swap the vq40de into the older z's as the head technology is more similar than the HR.... the vq40 actually has a better head design and a stronger bottom end, than the older DE's... there is the deck height situation which is solved with an hr hood... and swapping in the vq35de cams and using the plenum from the 03-05 DEs and the upper oil pan, the sensors are interchangeable enough that you would be able to retain using your vq35de sensors and wiring harness and ecu with the vq40... I'm just curious which clutch set-up the vq40 would be using the DE, or Hr or something new.... I'm assuming the Hr since the short block seems to be more similar to the the Hr as the rest of the motor seems more like a refined DE motor, the timing covers are very similar to The 03-05 de's.... It seems as if nissan just made a DE motor out of the block and heads that the Hr share in common
Old 07-30-2009, 09:34 PM
stealthz

Originally Posted by tilleys99
VQ40 heads are almost identical too vq35de i have a set im using in my new motor for my 240sx.
Yea pretty close it has better cooling/ water flow...
Old 08-31-2009, 09:35 PM
Z&G's Parts Dis
Vendor - Former Vendor

hmmm... im very interested... subscribing
Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Z&G's Parts Dis
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by stealthz
Stealthz... can you please provide a link that states that the VQ35DE cams can be used in the VQ40DE? Im trying to find as much info, on this possible Frankinstein swap, as possible.

Last edited by Z&G's Parts Dis; 09-01-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:51 AM
CRIDDA

very cool idea, subscribing
Old 09-01-2009, 12:16 PM
stealthz

Originally Posted by Z&G's Parts Dis
Stealthz... can you please provide a link that states that the VQ35DE cams can be used in the VQ40DE? Im trying to find as much info, on this possible Frankinstein swap, as possible.
When I get home I'll search for the link I'm just on my phone right now, but I found the information on the frontier forums... They were putting the z cams in there trucks.... I was going to do a full write up on this swap if I found a vq40 for a good price...

Last edited by stealthz; 09-01-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Z&G's Parts Dis
Vendor - Former Vendor

Heres a quote from eTraxx on http://www.*********.com/forums/inde...opic=11632&hl=
Originally Posted by eTraxx
The question raised was .. could we simply slip the Nissan VQ40DE into our 350Z (specifically, into Toykilla's Z. If the theory proves out (meaning that the majority of those present declaim it so) then I'm proposing that Toykilla use the VQ40DE as a *********.com project car. That being said .. what then IS the VQ40DE? (some of the following I freely admit I posted earlier .. just more together here).

Freshalloy.com (Nisan Infiniti Enthusasts) has an Nissan Engine Catalog. Here you find Nissan Engine Series including VK, VH, VQ, RB, VG, VE, QR, QG, SR, KA and GA.

Focusing in on the VQ series we find that they are a V-6, DOHC, 4-valves per cylinder. The VQ35DE has Variable valve timing and that the VQ30DE-K has Variable intake manifold. They are all aluminum, Direct Ignition with Microfinished crankshafts and camshafts and moly coated pistons. New for the VQ35De : Fifty percent of internal components were redesigned.

Examples:

- Reworked camshaft,

- Variable induction system,

- Composite plastic intake runners and

- VCariable capacity muffler (whatever THAT means).

They have been produced in 2.0L, 2.5L, 3.0L, 3.5L and 4.0L versions. Engines have been VQ30DET (Gloria/Cedric - Japan), VQ35DD - Japan), VQ30DE (Maxima 1995-1999), VQ30DE-K (Maxima 2000-2001), VQ35DE (Maxima 2002+, Pathfinder 2001+, 350Z), VQ40DE (Frontier, Pathfinder/Xterra 2005+).

Note: The VQ35DE was in the Pathfinder. That's a truck (ok .. like a truck!)

From a post on Acurazine

Don't forget so was the VQ35DE in the Pathfinder for several years. It can have a different cam and a few changes to make it into a G35 over 300 hp.

Note: Freshalloy also has a Nissan Engine Designations page. Here we find :

VQ = Series (we knew that)

40 = Displacement in liters (we knew that too)

D = Valve train

E = Fuel delivery

That's all well and good you may say .. so what about the VQ40DE? Specifically?

Nissan Infiniti News Bureau

The new Frontier powerplant is derived from the Nissan's award-winning VQ engine series utilized in the 350Z, Maxima, Altima, Murano and Quest. The 3.5-liter V6 VQ has been named to Ward's Communications' "Ten Best Engines" list for each of the last 10 years.

The new Frontier engine features a longer stroke than the 3.5-liter version (92.0 mm versus 81.4 mm) and has been specifically tuned for truck applications.

In addition to the taller engine block, the engine has been modified to include additional block reinforcements and increased main journal diameter for improved NVH (noise, vibration and harshness control).

Like other engines in the VQ series, the new 4.0-liter version includes such advanced design features as Continuous Valve Timing Control (intake only), Nissan variable Induction Control System (NICS), Nissan Direct Ignition System (NDIS), silent timing chain, microfinished camshaft and crankshaft surfaces, molybdenum-coated pistons, resin intake manifold, digital knock control system, high capacity muffler, lightweight aluminum block and platinum-tipped spark plugs.

The new Frontier powerplant will be produced at Nissan's engine assembly plant in Decherd, Tenn. The facility produces 950,000 engines and 300,000 transaxles annually and recently announced a $47.3 million expansion program. In addition to the Frontier's new 4.0-liter V6, the Decherd plant builds all the engines for the complete line of Nissan and Infiniti vehicles manufactured in the United States, including a 2.5-liter 4-cylinder, 3.5-liter V6 and a 5.6-liter V8.

From some posts on V6Performance.net

The current VQ35DE is already approaching the limit on bore (96 mm bore with a 108 mm bore spacing on the block = 12 mm cylinder wall). They could probably go a tad more, but in 3.5L configuration the engine still only has an 81.3 mm stroke. A big stroke would be something more around 95-100 mm, like on a Honda K24, or a Nissan QR25DE (Sentra, Altima). So there is tons of room to stroke. Since trucks need lots of torque and don't care about high revs much, I suspect the VQ40DE will be a stroker engine and that bore won't be changed much from the VQ35.

Also, it'll be interesting to see what anybody might venture to try as far as parts swapping in the VQ35DE or other cars now that there will be parts available in the US for bigger things ala the 3.2TL guys swapping in longer stroke MDX parts for 3.5 setups. So anybody with a VQ35 would be able to up the displacement very easily now I bet.

(and later)

As predicted, it's a stroker motor. The 4.0L has the same 95.5 mm bore size as the 3.5L engine, but stroke goes from 81.4 mm on the 3.5L up to 92.0mm on the 4.0L. IIRC, a Nissan press release somewhere stated that the VQ40 had "minor block modifications". I believe SR20DEN from Maxima.org measured and predicted that they would have needed to extend the deck height of the VQ short block to accommodate the additional stroke, as the existing one for 2.0-3.5L displacements might have come up a bit short. (can't have pistons impacting with the head).

From a post on Max-World Forums

It appears that one of my predictions were right. They didn't increase the bore size at all which I anticipated they would. But in order to use a 92mm stroke they would need to increase the height of the block and that is what they did.

Specs thus far on the VQ40DE for the Frontier

265hp

284tq

95.5mm bore

92mm stroke

3954cc

So. The blocks are the same .. right?

From a post on NissanClub.com

Has anyone looked into swapping a VQ40DE from the new Nissan trucks into a 350z or G35 yet? I wonder if they (VQ35DE and VQ40DE) use the same bellhousing pattern or location of engine mounts. It could be an interesting combination. I know that there is already a 4.3L stroker kit for the VQ35DE, but this new engine could be a more viable alternative, as that kit costs a good bit if I remember correctly. (After a little research, one price was found to be $7800, which should be quite a bit more than a "new" VQ40DE, if one could be found or ordered.) But, back to my question. Has anyone looked into how related these two engines are, or is naming the new truck motors as VQ engines just a marketing ploy?

It's likely that the 4.0L motor from the new truck shares a lot with the VQ35, since the 6-speed in the Frontier is probably very similar to the 6-speed from the Z/G35. I doubt that Nissan built a completely different transmission for a new application - one strong enough to handle the power potential of the Z should be able to handle the truck application. Even if they are different, you could always throw the 4.0 transmission in with the motor. But why?

So. The blocks are the same .. right?

From a post on Fresh Alloy

Q: Hi, is the VQ40DE using the same block as the VQ35DE?

A: Absolutely not the same.

Rear of block that accepts transmission bellhousing has a totally different shape.

That would be the major obvious difference I noticed; there are most certainly others.

From a post on Maxima.org

No specs have been released on the VQ40 engine, the heads are totally different from the current 3.5L. Nissan has its R&D department around my work and I talked to Yiko the guy who does alot of testing for Nissan at one stop light. I got to check out the new Pathfinder in person a month ago. The intake manifold is different and resembles more of a VK56DE than the 350Z one. I'm gonna use my rebuild-15K miles ago 5spd tranny with 100K miles on it. 6spd tranny sucks up too much WHP compared to the 5spd in the 3.5L Altima- ever notice how Altimas put out way more power than Maximas with bolt ons ?

From Autodurocher

With a new VQ40DE, 4.0L, 24-valve, DOHC V6 engine under the hood, it produces 265-horsepower at 5,600 rpm and 284 lb-ft of torque at 4,000 rpm, an increase of 85-horsepower and 82 lb-ft of torque, making it the most powerful V6 not only in its class, but on the light truck market today. The new engine is based on the award-winning VQ engine series that powers everything from the Altima sedan to Infiniti's M35 sport sedan, although it was specifically modified to meet the demands of truck use with a longer stroke, reinforced block and revised camshaft profile for notable torque response.

So .. what about the tranny?

From 2006 Nissan Xterra

6-speed close-ratio manual transmission

5-speed automatic transmission

from

Four Wheeler

Thankfully, Nissan didn't neglect the engine on the new model, featuring an all-new tall-block version of the VQ-series V-6. With a nearly 10mm increase in stroke over the VQ35, the still-oversquare VQ40DE cranks out a V-8-like 270 horsepower at 5,600 rpm, and 291 lbs./ft. of torque at 4,000 rpm. The only transmission available with the Pathfinder is a version of the Titan and Armada's 5-speed automatic.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Z&G's Parts Dis
Vendor - Former Vendor

continued...
Originally Posted by eTraxx
A final thought from FreshAlloy

And finally Nissan has now decided it was time for the VQ (all-aluminum, DOHC, and 24 valves) to go into the new Frontier. For the V-6 models, Nissan bumped the already large 3.5 liter displacement to 4 liters! This larger V-6 features the usual VQ formula for success: Continuous Valve Timing Control (C-VTC), Nissan variable Induction Control System (NICS), silent and long-life timing chain, microfinished camshaft and crankshaft surfaces, moly-coated pistons, resin intake manifold, cross flow engine coolant pattern, high capacity muffler, and platinum-tipped spark plugs.

Nissan, in their usual mind game with other manufacturers, won't announce final horsepower figures until the vehicle is close to release. They're giving out an estimate of over 250 bhp and 270 lb-ft of torque. Uh-huh. If the VQ35DE in the 350Z makes 287 bhp, we'd bet a few dollars the new VQ40DE would (or could easily) crank out over 290 horsepower and a lot more torque. One reason behind the secrecy may be the Frontier's arch- enemy, the Toyota Tacoma, which will be offered with a factory supercharger option good for over 300 bhp. (Editor's note: If you look in Toyota's press release, they actually say their new truck is faster than the 350Z.) The other hesitation might be that Nissan didn't want the VQ stepping on the Titan's 305 bhp figure. Nissan will offer both a 5-speed automatic or 6 speed manual ("sportstruck" anyone?). According to Nissan, the new Frontier will be able to tow over 5,500 lbs. (up 500 lbs. from the previous Frontier)

Ok. There you have a start. Should be plenty of 'beef' there to start a discussion.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:10 PM
stealthz

yes I've read that before but it was posted before the new hr transmission came out which shares the same bellhousing pattern as the vq40... the vq40 and the hr share the same bare blocks... thats why the deck hieght is a little taller, they also share similar bare heads with the better flowing design.... its just the head technologly is more like the older vq35de which is why it would be easier to make it work in the older z's rather than the newer ones since you retain using your DE sensors and ecm to make everything run right

Last edited by stealthz; 09-01-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:57 AM
G35_Guy

So...what's the consensus?

How does an 03-08 (primarily 03-05) 350Z or G35 sound with say a...

VQ40DE engine
VQ35HR 6MT tranny

use the factory ECU...should work fine with the VQ40DE right?
The HR tranny would bolt up and fit just fine I would suppose since the 08 Z is still the same body style as the previous years.

is the main difference between the DE and HR tranny (fitment) just the bell housing? would the shift linkage, clutch, and tranny mounts be the same? would the drive shaft have to be modified?

I'm strongly considering this build, and if it looks plausible, I will be ordering the engine and tranny in the next few days and will document the whole build.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:21 AM
danieluser

Originally Posted by G35_Guy

VQ40DE engine
VQ35HR 6MT tranny

The HR tranny would bolt up and fit just fine I would suppose since the 08 Z is still the same body style as the previous years.

is the main difference between the DE and HR tranny (fitment) just the bell housing? would the shift linkage, clutch, and tranny mounts be the same? would the drive shaft have to be modified?

I'm strongly considering this build, and if it looks plausible, I will be ordering the engine and tranny in the next few days and will document the whole build.
I hope you complete it and good luck xD
Old 09-07-2009, 04:43 AM
tilleys99

Good luck with that, the vq40 has a similar VTC design as a vq35de but has a block design like a vq35HR. Tran will work but clutch slave will need changed over too the new internal style.

Originally Posted by G35_Guy

VQ40DE engine
VQ35HR 6MT tranny

Old 09-07-2009, 11:29 AM
G35_Guy

Originally Posted by tilleys99
Good luck with that, the vq40 has a similar VTC design as a vq35de but has a block design like a vq35HR. Tran will work but clutch slave will need changed over too the new internal style.
sounds doable, changing the clutch slave over shouldn't be too hard I would think...i'll need to look into that, i haven't seen the new internal design yet... would the shift linkage from a de tranny work an a hr tranny? or would I need to acquire all of the hr linkage as well.
So..the VQ40de engine and VQ35hr tranny share the same motor and tranny mounts as the VQ35de?

thx guys.

Hi btw! New to the my350z forums

wish me luck!

Last edited by G35_Guy; 09-07-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:44 AM
G35_Guy

Originally Posted by Z&G's Parts Dis
should shed some light to show the cams are swappable. at least aftermarket ones. not sure about stock VQ35DE, but I don't see why not.

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/customer_results.asp
S2 and C2 to be specific, I'm sure S1 is too, but they didn't put the actual "VQ40DE" in the part description, but "frontier, pathfinder" is so they probably just made a typo.

I'll probably go with http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/cus...asp?PartID=461 on my build...if I decide to undertake it.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:23 AM
MREDDLE

Thumbs up

I would like to bump this theard, say how great this would be and to point peaple to help with a thread that I've started: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...ine-specs.html. I beleve we can really get the ball rolling on such a great idea.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:29 AM
nismology1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's up with all the ECU and internal swap talk? IMO HR heads on a VQ40 block is the simplest option. Original sensors and wiring. IIRC it has been proven that DE heads will mate to an HR block and vice versa. The only thing that would be left to determine is the resulting compression ratio and valve-to-piston clearance. Easy stuff.

P.S. I guess the only other significant variable is HR inner timing cover to VQ40 block interaction. Once that has been determined to be fine the rest is cake.

Last edited by nismology1; 09-21-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:21 AM
G35_Guy

^I think the ECU/parts and mix/match stuff was geared more towards the VQ35DE.
A little off topic of the thread title.

Personally...I'd rather just get my hands on a 2006 350Z GT-S and call it a day!
I wish Nissan would of put this into production! http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...title&resnum=1
Factory Supercharged! sweet!

Last edited by G35_Guy; 10-26-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Lakeside

The Stillen Supercharger for the VQ40 is available.

They are claiming around a 97 HP gain with 83 lbs of Tq increase! Thats pretty tempting for me to get for my Frontier! Not sure how the pretuned system would run if the truck had a Gibson exhuast & UpRev tuned. Hmmmmm.... My frontier is completely stock so far. I haven't seen any threads on http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/

I'll have to double check now.

Quick Reply: VQ40 block swap in VQ35HR Z