VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Stillen Generation 3 long tube intake for VQHR

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dynojet.. http://blog.stillen.com/2009/10/stil...take-released/

There are a bunch of independent dynos on Gen 3's on all the different flavors of boards backing up our claims. In this day and age any false claims get sorted out pretty quickly with the guys willing to do independent dynos.. except it seems on some of the offshoot brands that doesn't attract the serious performance guys from the beginning.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:24 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Either way, i'm sure if I went from my Injens to your intakes I wouldn't feel any bit of a difference
Old 12-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

5hp is difficult to measure with the butt dyno.. that's definitely a fair statement..
Old 12-12-2009, 09:14 PM
acharney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NISMO_558
BS, they look EXACTLY the same and much like any inatake, the maker always inflates it's HP numbers, 20WHP my @ss.
If you read back a few pages you will see my results of 30WHP gain independantly dynoed on a dyno dynamics between the headers and intake. I have no connection to Stillen, and have solid documented gains from their products. It's pretty reasonable to conclude that the intakes gained around 20WHP. Unless you want to say the intakes gained 10WHP and the headers 20WHP, in which case those would be some kick *** gains from their headers. I believe others have experienced about 10 WHP from the headers, so it's pretty solid evidence that the intakes did about 20WHP.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:19 PM
acharney

Originally Posted by josh@stillen
5hp is difficult to measure with the butt dyno.. that's definitely a fair statement..
Yeah, I agree. But if you haven't gotten an intake yet, go with the Stillen.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

HP adds up..
Old 12-13-2009, 03:06 AM
67ZNISMO

is it me, or the filters on these compared to the injen's are significantly larger?
Old 12-13-2009, 03:53 AM
Nismo1534

Glad to see some Nismo guys trying this out. With the Nismo front bumper though, are there any extra modifications needed other than enlarging the composite core support and relocating the horns? I thought I saw a thread where a Nismo owner had a tough time installing the Injen version because there was extra stuff behind the bumper. What about cleaning the filters? Looks like you need to pull the bumper off, correct? And a big concern for me is also the location of the MAF sensor. I see it is mounted right after a hose clamp. Wouldn't that create air turbulence and yield an incorrect reading?
Old 12-13-2009, 07:32 AM
acharney

Originally Posted by Nismo1534
Glad to see some Nismo guys trying this out. With the Nismo front bumper though, are there any extra modifications needed other than enlarging the composite core support and relocating the horns? I thought I saw a thread where a Nismo owner had a tough time installing the Injen version because there was extra stuff behind the bumper...
Actually with the Nismo you don't have to enlarge the core support, it fits through as is. So it's easier on the Nismo. But you do have to relocate the horns.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Slyde77

Originally Posted by acharney
Actually with the Nismo you don't have to enlarge the core support, it fits through as is. So it's easier on the Nismo. But you do have to relocate the horns.
Yeah i was thinking about getting these also. I actually saw these before your post doing a late night internet surf. I said wait i though they did make a gen 3 for the HR's lol. But what about cleaning them??? do i have to take off the front everytime if i need to clean them??? if so dam that sucksss lol.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Slyde77

what did they use to tune your car ?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Slyde77
Yeah i was thinking about getting these also. I actually saw these before your post doing a late night internet surf. I said wait i though they did make a gen 3 for the HR's lol. But what about cleaning them??? do i have to take off the front everytime if i need to clean them??? if so dam that sucksss lol.
Yes, the bumper needs to be removed to get to the filters for cleaning. But most who've done it report that it's about 10 minutes to get off and on once you know how to do it.

And the recommended cleaning on the filters is every 50,000 miles.. which for most would be years of enjoyment before needing to clean them..
Old 12-13-2009, 12:18 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by acharney
If you read back a few pages you will see my results of 30WHP gain independantly dynoed on a dyno dynamics between the headers and intake. I have no connection to Stillen, and have solid documented gains from their products. It's pretty reasonable to conclude that the intakes gained around 20WHP. Unless you want to say the intakes gained 10WHP and the headers 20WHP, in which case those would be some kick *** gains from their headers. I believe others have experienced about 10 WHP from the headers, so it's pretty solid evidence that the intakes did about 20WHP.
I read that, but you also had Fast Intentions Intimidator exhaust and Crawford HFC's installed as well, which are supporting mods, which also means that it wasn't an independent dyno.

Independent dyno meaning one, and only one modification.

much like what lakeside said:
Originally Posted by lakeside
Whoa whoa whoa!!!! Alot went into these gains not just the Stillen intakes!!!

The Headers alone with a tune & exhaust will net you serious gains IMHO! The intakes yes indeed helped some! But its hard to say what gains they provided! Its not like you installed the headers & had the car tuned. Followed by installing the Stillen Gen 3 intakes followed by another tune and dyno

So in conclusion! This proved nothing!
Old 12-13-2009, 02:35 PM
acharney

Independent, as in not done by Stillen. This was what was being discussed -whether the advertised WHP by Stillen is accurate.

As to the supporting mods/tune, dyno was done with HFC and Fast Intentions exhaust, then another dyno with the headers and intake. Then a tune and another dyno. Sharif didn't have time to do a dyno in between the intake and headers, which would have ultimately been better. They barely had time to finish it all and worked well into the evening.

If you are suggesting that HFC, exhaust and headers will cause the intakes to gain more than if you had no other mods, I'm not sure, and if so by how much it would be affected. It's a good question for someone else to answer, but from my experience it seems Stillens advertised numbers are in line with my results.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Nismo1534

I just confirmed with the guys over at CobbTuning that Stillen intakes work great with our MAF sensor (minimal air turbulance and the MAF sensor housing size is comparable with the stock housing).

Last edited by Nismo1534; 12-14-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:26 PM
raz0rbladez909

so where can i buy this without paying 550 bucks??? i mean cmon 550 for intakes?
Old 12-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

Sign up for our specials: http://www.stillen.com/catalog.asp and keep an eye out soon.. I think you'll be happy..
Old 12-14-2009, 04:41 PM
raz0rbladez909

looking forward to it thanks
Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 PM
baspence

Originally Posted by josh@stillen
Sign up for our specials: http://www.stillen.com/catalog.asp and keep an eye out soon.. I think you'll be happy..
I see no where to sign up

I want them to see the gains but like others have said. I don't wanna pay 550.00 for them. I already paid 450.00 for popchargers (which I gained from) but want to build up as much N/A as I can unless I get my bonus and go TT and start hurtin fools soon
Old 12-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

near the bottom.. there is an arrow that says sign up.. and has a spot for an email address and the year/make/model..

You'll be very happy in the difference in performance if you upgrade.. not that I'd like to say anything about your current installation, just basing it off customer feedback..

Quick Reply: Stillen Generation 3 long tube intake for VQHR