Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

VQ Frankenstein

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:22 AM
MREDDLE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by archangel72
Lol, I was expecting this. It happened in the regular forum, everyone viewd it, nobody responded. I'm assuming this is an avenue no here has experimented with and/or knows anything about. It would be a great opportunity for us though. I don't have the funds to experiment, but you'd be surprised how many parts of the same series engine can be swapped.
I am the one that started the thread in the regular forum. I just wanted everyone to know that I just bought an 05 VQ35DE out of an Altima and I will be recording every measurement for this community. Also, I am looking for a VQ40DE to buy and do the same. So if anyone knows of one on the cheap or in pieces, please let me know.

What im looking at putting together is the VQ40DE block and crank with sleaves, bored to 100mm+/-. I like this combo for the deck hieght and crank. Im trying for the largest displacment and longest rods I can get. As stated above the rods and pistons are the easy part. We'll see.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:33 AM
archangel72

^Sweet, thanks for pioneering this. I know it would be cheaper to buy the parts used, I would just buy the parts new, I wouldn't want something to go wrong because one of the parts came out of a crashed vehicle. This is the website I was looking at: http://www.courtesyparts.com. good luck.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:38 PM
MREDDLE

^Sweet, thanks for pioneering this. I know it would be cheaper to buy the parts used, I would just buy the parts new, I wouldn't want something to go wrong because one of the parts came out of a crashed vehicle. This is the website I was looking at: http://www.courtesyparts.com. good luck.
I am not pioneering this. I am just tired of looking for information and not finding any. So I am going to try and document everything. My VQ35DE will avrive at my machine shop this week. I am not under any time schedule so I'm going to take my time. I will still need to buy a longblock VQ40DE or a block and crank. I'm hoping the VQ35DE heads fit the VQ40DE block. I'll find out and take pictures.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:16 PM
huyrua

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In for the progress
Old 01-25-2010, 07:53 PM
MREDDLE

Originally Posted by huyrua
In for the progress
Well here some progress. I got a call from the guy that I bought my engine from and he told me that "his son must of sold it last week" and he no longer has it. I'm still going to do what I set out to do.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Resurrecting this thread from the dead.....

I'm currently having my VQ35HR motor built, and the subbed builder my shop sent the motor to informed us that a VQ37VHR crank is being used in their rebuild allowing for the 3.7L displacement, so a poor man stroker if you will.

This piqued my interest because I didn't realize it could be done, and I have seen like only this thread, so from the sounds of it, just the wrist pins needed to be moved up for clearnace purposes correct?

Was wondering if there are any other gotcha's as I know they were working on some bearing install issues and they're now just waiting on getting some rod bearings in before completing the rotating assembly.

Was curious if there was any more information on this type of VQ frankensteining that may be beneficial to those folks whom have a VQ35HR's and could benefit from a cheap slight stroker to 3.7L. I'll welcome any little bit more torque the .2L can get me heh, its for a boosted setup, GTM stage 2.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 PM
XChacalX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Juztin
Resurrecting this thread from the dead.....

I'm currently having my VQ35HR motor built, and the subbed builder my shop sent the motor to informed us that a VQ37VHR crank is being used in their rebuild allowing for the 3.7L displacement, so a poor man stroker if you will.

This piqued my interest because I didn't realize it could be done, and I have seen like only this thread, so from the sounds of it, just the wrist pins needed to be moved up for clearnace purposes correct?

Was wondering if there are any other gotcha's as I know they were working on some bearing install issues and they're now just waiting on getting some rod bearings in before completing the rotating assembly.

Was curious if there was any more information on this type of VQ frankensteining that may be beneficial to those folks whom have a VQ35HR's and could benefit from a cheap slight stroker to 3.7L. I'll welcome any little bit more torque the .2L can get me heh, its for a boosted setup, GTM stage 2.
I did swap the VHR crank/rod into my spare HR engine .
Im using the HR piston and some minor grinding had to be done on the pistons for clearance issues other than this , everything fitted like a glove !
Old 02-20-2013, 12:26 PM
redline06

Sadly awesome things like this dont go far on this forum, people are more concerned with non Z related things, bashing each other and what the most hella flush , most aggressive wheel, smallest tire, absurd camber etc.etc. set up is.
Yes the 3.7 crank fits the only problem is you will need a custom piston to move the wrist pin up some so the piston can clear the deck. From what I have gathered the GTR crank fits as well with slight machine work to the snout of the crank, something about the oil pump , I dont remember correctly. Best person to ask on here is JohnWiggs the man knows his **** . Sorry john lol
Old 02-20-2013, 02:21 PM
XChacalX

Originally Posted by redline06
Yes the 3.7 crank fits the only problem is you will need a custom piston to move the wrist pin up some so the piston can clear the deck. From what I have gathered the GTR crank fits as well with slight machine work to the snout of the crank, something about the oil pump , I dont remember correctly. Best person to ask on here is JohnWiggs the man knows his **** . Sorry john lol
btw did you read what I just wrote the post previous to this one ?

I installed the OEM HR piston with the VHR crank/rod and there is only 2 spots that need to be either grinded or filed down a little bit for the clearance

other than that everything fitted no problem , the engine turn without problem
there is no need to have custom piston with that wrist pin moved up .. not sure where that came from. probably from when John tried to fit the VHR crank + HR connecting rod .. yeah you WILL need a custom piston
but not with the VHR crank/rods

Last edited by XChacalX; 02-20-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:59 PM
redline06

I mustve been thinking of that my bad lol. Good too know its such a simple fit.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:13 PM
archangel72

Thats awesome juztin, please keep us posted on how this goes. Also XchacalX thanks for the info, do you have a thread on this build?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:17 PM
stascom

in 4 science
Old 03-26-2013, 01:06 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In for updates, nice work guys
Old 03-26-2013, 01:43 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

In...
Old 03-26-2013, 02:33 AM
XChacalX

Thats awesome juztin, please keep us posted on how this goes. Also XchacalX thanks for the info, do you have a thread on this build?

I dont have a thread only about the engine but the car as a whole.
look up (Megan370z) Megan Journal on the 370 z dot com
Old 04-05-2013, 09:53 PM
Juztin

Thanks for the info peeps, the short block is back and the shop will be getting the rest of the built motor crap coming together over the next month+. Im going to look to dig up the extra info on what all was done to get everything to jive and post that here. The update will probably be slow, just fyi as the car's been down for months so not expecting it back anytime soon.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:12 PM
johnwigs

HR piston with VHR rod... I am sure it will fit, make sure you use the HR intake sprocket and not a VHR, I am sure the 67* of phase control will kiss the valves and piston together, since the valve relief is smaller on an HR piston... GTR crank will fit (although there is no rod/piston combination to make it work right now) crank will need an oil pump boss put on it or go dry sump... I haven't been doing much VQ work lately, so no crazy new things to try. The Grand Am engine is about as maxed out in power as the rules and money permit... It would be nice to get to build an all out HR motor I predict close to 500 hp is possible NA with all the right components.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:58 AM
Juztin

So just a slight update. The motor was just assembled recently and failed to rotate, looks like the valves & pistons are making contact. The car is on it's 3rd shop now since posting in this thread over what has been a long road to say the least. My builder inherited a turd of a motor from the original shop when I first posted in this thread and it's been a lot of setbacks getting it back up to the point for reassembly that just happened recently.

Slight info:
*VQ35HR motor w/ VQ37VHR crank (unknown on the rods, CP pistons IIRC; the subbed motor shop clearly did a **** job and the motor would never have run for more than a few reasons now aside from this latest development)
*It measures out to 3.7L
*GTM stg 2 turbo cams (272)
*BC valvetrain IIRC... been so long since I ordered it originally
*This combo did NOT WORK; piston+valve contact... Looks like the pistons the original shop did not do their homework with the GTM cams. Current builder is going to see if the stock cams rotate and measure the clearance problems to see how bad the situation is with the GTM cams. If it's feasible the pistons may be cut down if there's enough material to allow or possibly stock cams. At this point with how long the car has been down off the road I am more inclined to throw out the cams if the stocks work or if the piston cut can't be the final solution.

I reached out to Megan for some info on 370z as someone pointed out previously in this thread as it looks like he's running a similar build with a tall cam. After 2 years of down time, hoping for this latest setback to be resolved in the next month or so. It's been 2 years of hell to say the least... but hoping to salvage the 3.7L motor. I'll update this thread when there is more news to post.

Last edited by Juztin; 08-09-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:41 AM
XChacalX

Originally Posted by Juztin
So just a slight update. The motor was just assembled recently and failed to rotate, looks like the valves & pistons are making contact. The car is on it's 3rd shop now since posting in this thread over what has been a long road to say the least. My builder inherited a turd of a motor from the original shop when I first posted in this thread and it's been a lot of setbacks getting it back up to the point for reassembly that just happened recently.

Slight info:
*VQ35HR motor w/ VQ37VHR crank (unknown on the rods, CP pistons IIRC; the subbed motor shop clearly did a **** job and the motor would never have run for more than a few reasons now aside from this latest development)
*It measures out to 3.7L
*GTM stg 2 turbo cams (272)
*BC valvetrain IIRC... been so long since I ordered it originally
*This combo did NOT WORK; piston+valve contact... Looks like the pistons the original shop did not do their homework with the GTM cams. Current builder is going to see if the stock cams rotate and measure the clearance problems to see how bad the situation is with the GTM cams. If it's feasible the pistons may be cut down if there's enough material to allow or possibly stock cams. At this point with how long the car has been down off the road I am more inclined to throw out the cams if the stocks work or if the piston cut can't be the final solution.

I reached out to Megan for some info on 370z as someone pointed out previously in this thread as it looks like he's running a similar build with a tall cam. After 2 years of down time, hoping for this latest setback to be resolved in the next month or so. It's been 2 years of hell to say the least... but hoping to salvage the 3.7L motor. I'll update this thread when there is more news to post.
if you don't know about the rods , I do hope they aren't the HR rods !!
btw im Megan from the other forum. You didn't mentioned anything about the rods in your previous post on there.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:21 PM
Juztin

Actually my builder got it figured out. He said following the Nissan manual process to get the cams into the motor; for some reason the chains were slipping and causing the assembly to be all off and make contact. He had to rig his own way of getting the timing components together where the chains seated properly and no contact now and rotates freely.

Now we're just waiting on some missing cam bolts to come in from Japan, every damn little part we have had missing has had to come from Japan and weeks of waiting in between. Hopefully the motor will be together this month of September; but rather have that news then having to scrap the internals and redo all over again. So still a frankenstein motor

Quick Reply: VQ Frankenstein