Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

350z HR Bolt-Ons Dyno Updated 8/6/14

Old 02-22-2015, 11:49 AM
The_Assassin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MM'08_350Z
That's actually what went wrong, they installed the valves without having sent them to a machine shop and getting the valve seats machined to match the valves so the moment they started up my car it sounded like crap!!! They even said they were driving my car for hours at a time ( they were convinced the noise would go away) did not happen. After I took it the Uprev's hands the discovered a bunch of metal shavings in the oil pan (obviously scratch the crap out of my Cylinder walls. So I bought a brand new VQ35HR from courtesy Nissan and installed cams by themselves. So instead of trashing to effd up block I had it sleeved and built. So no my N/A build had only cams installed.
That sucks man makes me nervous. I want to get tome 272s in the future which springs and retainers.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:07 PM
The_Assassin

Originally Posted by T-dizee
well, we will soon see how my setup goes. im doing z1 headers, tomei 272 cams with 10.8 lift, cosworth oil pump, ill get it tuned once they are installed and keep you guys posted. getting uprev next week. ill be running a seperate tune with higher octane with a crap load of advanced timing. if i max out the stock injectors which im not sure if i can. i will order injectors and pump as well and retune it. see what i can even push out on stock compression. its all just a test and theory for me.
Sounds like a pretty solid set up you have there. What do you have installed now and did you ever do a baseline?..Just wondering but why not go 11.0 lift?. I want tomei 272 also so trying to learn as much as I can. Higher octane and you will definitely need bigger injectors. Am getting long tubes instead of shorties. I will most likely get cams in 2 months or so. Interested in seeing your results.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:02 PM
T-dizee

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Assassin
Sounds like a pretty solid set up you have there. What do you have installed now and did you ever do a baseline?..Just wondering but why not go 11.0 lift?. I want tomei 272 also so trying to learn as much as I can. Higher octane and you will definitely need bigger injectors. Am getting long tubes instead of shorties. I will most likely get cams in 2 months or so. Interested in seeing your results.
The reason I stuck with that lift, and not higher. Is becuase it will be to much over lap with the 272 duration. Honestly.... im pushing it with using the 272 duration on stock compression. Like I said, this is just a theory im trying out. I'm getting help from the same guys that helped setup sashas car with JWT. They are who I am going to have install the pump and cams. The reason for running shorty headers, is they do get better results than LTH with the correct tune. I think the HR/VHR motors like the shorties better. Everyone just buys LTH's. With the cams, I do not need to upgrade valve train at all. They are a Poncam. Not a Procam. 272's 10.8 lift is perfect for stock valve train. The 11.0 are useless unless you up the compression and make use of the additional overlap. You will lose way to much bottom end. Again, just a theory. I got the oil pump to move my redline up to 8K. I want to see how much i can make on the top end along with the mid range being thats where I am at all the time when playing with the car. This is all just a small setup to have possible fun with stock NA bottom end till I go boost. So i figured this might help awnser a lot of questions we have all had with this setup. Right now, im running z1 test pipes, tomei y-pipe, tomei full exhaust, and nismo shorty intakes. I'll be changing out the test pipes for the DE headers and adding uprev next week to have it ready for the tune and change the RPM for possible rough idle...... sorry for the spelling and grammer. I'm just being lazy.... keep you guys posted.

Last edited by T-dizee; 02-22-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:32 PM
The_Assassin

the reason i stuck with that lift, and not higher. is becuase it will be to much over lap with the 272 duration. honestly.... im pushing it with using the 272 duration on stock compression. like i said, this is just a theory im trying out. im getting help from the same guys that helped setup sashas car with jwt. they are who i am going to have install the pump and cams. the reason for running shorty headers, is they do get better results than LTH with the correct tune. i think the HR/VHR motors like the shorties better. everyone just buys LTH's. with the cams, i do not need to upgrade valve train at all. they are a Poncam. not a Procam. 272's 10.8 lift is perfect for stock valve train. the 11.0 are useless unless you up the compression and make use of the additional overlap. you will lose way to much bottom end. again, just a theory. i got the oil pump to move my redline up to 8K. i want to see how much i can make on the top end along with the mid range being thats where i am at all the time when playing with the car. this is all just a small setup to have possible fun with stock NA bottom end till i go boost. so i figured this might help awnser a lot of questions we have all had with this setup. right now, im running z1 test pipes, tomei y-pipe, tomei full exhaust, and nismo shorty intakes.... sorry for the spelling and grammer. im just way to lazy.
Ahh I see makes sense. I will eventually up my compression a bit. I thought you had proCams didnt realize they made ponCams in 272 I thought it only went to 264. Yea nothing too crazy still interested to see how all that turns out for you. Most people swear by their longtube headers. Even sasha has longtubes on his race car. I wanted to go with the tome y pipe but those bends seem way too sharp. An 8k rev limit should be fun. Am reving to around 7700.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:58 PM
T-dizee

Ahh I see makes sense. I will eventually up my compression a bit. I thought you had proCams didnt realize they made ponCams in 272 I thought it only went to 264. Yea nothing too crazy still interested to see how all that turns out for you. Most people swear by their longtube headers. Even sasha has longtubes on his race car. I wanted to go with the tome y pipe but those bends seem way too sharp. An 8k rev limit should be fun. Am reving to around 7700.
The reason why Sasha's does so well with LTH's, is because his have a custom collector that we don't know of or ever seen and may have larger diameter primaries. Sources I wish not to name off or take any kind of credit which may not ne true. His car is decked out for grand am racing. R&D like we've never seen before. During some of the R&D they got amazing results when shrinking the primaries back from the Longtubes to shorties. Especially the torque. Major contributing is to tuning so may never see the results I'm shooting for with stock compression. The car isn't my daily. I'll fill the tank up with the highest octane I can make the most gains out of it and advance the crap out of it. See how it goes. I may even lose power. But, screw it. Lol.

Last edited by T-dizee; 02-22-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:14 PM
The_Assassin

The reason why Sasha's does so well with LTH's, is because his have a custom collector that we don't know of or ever seen and may have larger diameter primaries. Sources I wish not to name off or take any kind of credit which may not ne true. His car is decked out for grand am racing. R&D like we've never seen before. During some of the R&D they got amazing results when shrinking the primaries back from the Longtubes to shorties. Especially the torque. Major contributing is to tuning so may never see the results I'm shooting for with stock compression. The car isn't my daily. I'll fill the tank up with the highest octane I can make the most gains out of it and advance the crap out of it. See how it goes. I may even lose power. But, screw it. Lol.
Lol well lets see how it goes, best of luck bro. You will definitely gain power with e85. So what about the 272 poncams? did you mean to put 264 because if they make a 272 in poncam i might look into that. Yea a well designed short should produce similar gains. Just as the mm08 posted above, his car lost power by going from stollen shorties to ppe long tubes.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:53 AM
T-dizee

Lol well lets see how it goes, best of luck bro. You will definitely gain power with e85. So what about the 272 poncams? did you mean to put 264 because if they make a 272 in poncam i might look into that. Yea a well designed short should produce similar gains. Just as the mm08 posted above, his car lost power by going from stollen shorties to ppe long tubes.
No, I've always wanted to try the 272 poncams. Tomei website is confusing. 272 duration 10.8 lift is a poncam. Requires no valve train upgrade. Tomei designed the poncams specifically to be able to run with stock valve train. Also, take note.... If you choose to go with 272 duration 11.0 lift. The moment you tune it and advance timing there is a chance of the valves coming in contact with the pistons. Tomei recommends 1mm of piston recess with 11.0 lift starting from the 272 durations and up, along with upgrading valve springs and retainers. Since I'm not changing factory pistons for a while, I have no need to use 11.0 lift with the chance of hitting the piston when tuning and advancing timing.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:10 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Personally I would feel uncomfortable running something like that on the stock valve train. There is a guy on the vq35hr fb group that dropped a valve doing this.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Frostydc4

Originally Posted by MM'08_350Z
That's actually what went wrong, they installed the valves without having sent them to a machine shop and getting the valve seats machined to match the valves so the moment they started up my car it sounded like crap!!! They even said they were driving my car for hours at a time ( they were convinced the noise would go away) did not happen. After I took it the Uprev's hands the discovered a bunch of metal shavings in the oil pan (obviously scratch the crap out of my Cylinder walls. So I bought a brand new VQ35HR from courtesy Nissan and installed cams by themselves. So instead of trashing to effd up block I had it sleeved and built. So no my N/A build had only cams installed.

Maybe I have been around Hondas for a while but is there any machine work needed to upgrade the valve train? I did cams on my previous Hondas and never had to do any machine work when replacing the springs and retainers.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:37 PM
T-dizee

Originally Posted by Frostydc4
Personally I would feel uncomfortable running something like that on the stock valve train. There is a guy on the vq35hr fb group that dropped a valve doing this.
Ya, I know him. He didn't drop a valve he found out on the tear down. Timing chain skipped a few teeth. Had nothing to do with the cams. The tensioners are very sensitive. You don't do it right, then it's easy mess!
Old 02-23-2015, 01:43 PM
T-dizee

Maybe I have been around Hondas for a while but is there any machine work needed to upgrade the valve train? I did cams on my previous Hondas and never had to do any machine work when replacing the springs and retainers.
If your just doing cams, springs and reatainers. Ive heard of no such thing of needing machine work unless you go so extreme you need to round out spots off the side of the walls of the head for the lobes to clear, or anything else of any kind. I'm just trying to keep it simple. I'm not going crazy on the cams. No need to with stock compression. The lift is close to stock. It's the duration is what I'm making a huge jump to. Just trying it to see how it does.

Last edited by T-dizee; 02-23-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:23 PM
The_Assassin

The problems he had was not because of anything wrong with the cams. He also went 272 procams so he should have gotten springs and retainers but he didnt.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:32 PM
The_Assassin

No, I've always wanted to try the 272 poncams. Tomei website is confusing. 272 duration 10.8 lift is a poncam. Requires no valve train upgrade. Tomei designed the poncams specifically to be able to run with stock valve train. Also, take note.... If you choose to go with 272 duration 11.0 lift. The moment you tune it and advance timing there is a chance of the valves coming in contact with the pistons. Tomei recommends 1mm of piston recess with 11.0 lift starting from the 272 durations and up, along with upgrading valve springs and retainers. Since I'm not changing factory pistons for a while, I have no need to use 11.0 lift with the chance of hitting the piston when tuning and advancing timing.
Ahh i see...I didnt go on the tome website I checked on conceptz performance website and on google. I could't find 272 pon cam. I found 272 10.8 lift pro cam though. So you eventually going boost or just NA?

https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart...n.php?II=15712

Last edited by The_Assassin; 02-23-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:45 PM
Frostydc4

If your just doing cams, springs and reatainers. Ive heard of no such thing of needing machine work unless you go so extreme you need to round out spots off the side of the walls of the head for the lobes to clear, or anything else of any kind. I'm just trying to keep it simple. I'm not going crazy on the cams. No need to with stock compression. The lift is close to stock. It's the duration is what I'm making a huge jump to. Just trying it to see how it does.
Are you doing the install yourself?
Old 02-24-2015, 02:08 PM
T-dizee

Are you doing the install yourself?

I am, and I ordered the springs and retainers too as a update. Again, you don't need them. But, I am getting them anyways.....
Old 02-24-2015, 06:28 PM
rugbyforlife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am, and I ordered the springs and retainers too as a update. Again, you don't need them. But, I am getting them anyways.....
I'd be curious to see how bad the install is def keep this posted up!
Old 02-25-2015, 04:22 AM
T-dizee

Ahh i see...I didnt go on the tome website I checked on conceptz performance website and on google. I could't find 272 pon cam. I found 272 10.8 lift pro cam though. So you eventually going boost or just NA?

https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart...n.php?II=15712
Eventually going boost.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:58 PM
07HR

Default My 07 hr dyno tune w/ mods

Car had around 112k miles when dyno tuned, mods are fujita intakes, cnt racing test pipes (ark look alike), magnaflow x pipe w/ muffler, hks replica with h pipe cut out and replaced by x pipe. tranny and whiteline differential mount/bushings. btw: (this dyna-pack came out this year & is modified to read like a dynojet)

274whp 07 350z hr before tune w/ mods (listed above). Can anyone explain that weird dip at the top end?

After the tune. 286whp dip fixed through tune