VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Single turbo interest?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Single turbo interest?

I may have an HR (MT) car lined up for a twin scroll single turbo install some time in April next year. This is the kit that I build for the 370z guys, which will more than likely bolt right up to the HR platform without any modifications.

Build thread for that kit (there is a bit more on the 370z forums):

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...ication-5.html

Details on the kit, and what it comes with:

Complete twin scroll kit: $6,950 + paypal fee

Tuner kit: $5,990 + paypal fee (includes everything listed except fuel pump, injectors and UpRev)

-Precision 6266 750hp twin scroll turbo, T4 1.15 a/r turbine housing
-Large vertical flow intercooler (25”x9”x3.5” core)
-750cc Bosch EV14 fuel injectors with plug’n play pig tails
-340lph fuel pump (support up to 650whp)
-Exa 12V turbo scavenge pump
-Tial BOV
-Tial waste gates
-UpRev tuner with base map
-3” 304 stainless down pipe (built to work with the F.I dual 2.5” exhaust system)
-Tig welded 6061 aluminum intercooler piping
-30 row oil cooler kit
-Stainless braid oil cooler lines -8an
-Stainless turbo oil return lines -6an
-OEM oil filter relocation kit
-JWT oil pan spacer
-GTR spark plugs
-Air filter
-Plug'n play scavenge pump harness
-304 stainless steel tig welded exhaust manifold
-304 stainless brackets and hardware
-Instalation manual

I would like to know if there are any HR owners here seriously interested in this kit? If there are alterations that need to be made to it (I doubt it), I would make them with the donor car, and it would be a complete bolt on kit.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 11-24-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Da_tigga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought u made the twinscroll for the HR before the 370z. Anyways good luck if i had an HR id buy one.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Da_tigga
I thought u made the twinscroll for the HR before the 370z. Anyways good luck if i had an HR id buy one.
No, the very first twn scroll was made for the VQ35DE engine. There is only 4 of these twin scrolls out there on the DE's. There are 11 VQ37VHR's out there now with the twin scroll kit, but no HR's.

I am hoping that will chage. The local customer confirmed install for April, so this is a go.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:24 PM
tcode

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

I want DE TS kit .
Old 11-25-2013, 08:23 AM
Mr Wrex

Just playing devils advocate here... I have seen twinscrolls on 4cylinder and inline-6 motors working with great success, but not on a 350z. Do you have any mock diagrams that show how you plan on creating even exhaust pulses to each scroll?
Old 11-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mr Wrex
Just playing devils advocate here... I have seen twinscrolls on 4cylinder and inline-6 motors working with great success, but not on a 350z. Do you have any mock diagrams that show how you plan on creating even exhaust pulses to each scroll?
I don't have a diagram, that is why I provided a link to a fully built kit with a lot of pictures. The prototype car (370z) made 550whp at 11psi of boost.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Mr Wrex

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
I don't have a diagram, that is why I provided a link to a fully built kit with a lot of pictures. The prototype car (370z) made 550whp at 11psi of boost.
Interesting... love the weld job btw. If you don't mind me asking, what is the length of the runners from the driver-side header to the turbo? from the passenger-side to the turbo?
Old 11-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Interesting... love the weld job btw. If you don't mind me asking, what is the length of the runners from the driver-side header to the turbo? from the passenger-side to the turbo?
They are equal, within about 1/2". I can't remember the exact lenght off the top of my head right now.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:01 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

the community would like that greatly...

you may want to make a "Z speed shield" like diffuser that crosses that area for the paranoid buyers...many shy'd away because of the placement of the turbo.....not know it's no where near that low!

just an idea...you know some thing that would bolt right into the side skirt area...no need modification
Old 11-26-2013, 03:19 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by KingBaby
the community would like that greatly...

you may want to make a "Z speed shield" like diffuser that crosses that area for the paranoid buyers...many shy'd away because of the placement of the turbo.....not know it's no where near that low!

just an idea...you know some thing that would bolt right into the side skirt area...no need modification
I would also be concerned about the heat the turbo gives off. Looks like it sits at an area that doesn't have a heat shield and fairly close to the car. Just wondering if the heat can affect anything in its immediate area.

If I decide to keep my car I will probably go this route.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:55 AM
Mr Wrex

Yea the passenger floor look like it'd get pretty toasty... might help prevent your girlfriend from getting "cold feet" on your wedding day

But on a serious note... there's always the option of ceramic coating the turbo hotside

Last edited by Mr Wrex; 11-26-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:31 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Clearance and heat are not a concern at all. The turbo sits above the engine subframe, so if you were to run over something large enough to cause damage to the turbo, you would probably take out your oil pan first.

I also have customers that Autocross, no heat issues at all. It is hard to tell by looking at the pictures, but there is a decent amount of room between the turbo/exhaust and the classy. There is also a lot of air moving under the car, and it takes the heat away very fast.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 11-26-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:47 AM
Mr Wrex

Speaking of air moving under the car and past the turbo, what about during wet weather... will moisture present a problem for the intake filter since it's sitting fairly close to an opening? Also, is the intake pulling hot air from next to the headers?

Last edited by Mr Wrex; 11-26-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Speaking of air moving under the car and past the turbo, what about during wet weather... will moisture present a problem for the intake filter since it's sitting fairly close to an opening? Also, is the intake pulling hot air from next to the headers?
No issue in the rain at all. I have driven through many down pours myself and no issues. Remember, some people spray water/Meth in to the engine on purpose. This is no different than having a cold air intake in your bumper as the air filter is enclosed well from three sides, and one slightly open to the wheel well.

The filter is a good distance from the manifold, so heat is not a concern either.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 11-26-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Mr Wrex

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
No issue in the rain at all. I have driven through many down pours myself and no issues. Remember, some people spray water/Meth in to the engine on purpose. This is no different than having a cold air intake in your bumper as the air filter is enclosed well from three sides, and one slightly open to the wheel well.

The filter is a good distance from the manifold, so heat is not a concern either.
Well there is a difference between water/meth injection and hydrolocking your engine from sucking water through the intake... Thanks for the info and once again... I really loved your fabrication thread.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Well there is a difference between water/meth injection and hydrolocking your engine from sucking water through the intake... Thanks for the info and once again... I really loved your fabrication thread.
Well, there are 60+kits out there, and no issues. I would not drive the car through deep pools if water, everything else is fine. The only way you would hydrolock anything is if you completely submerge the air filter.

You asked about rainy conditions, so I said that it is fine. No mention of driving through a pond.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 11-26-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:53 AM
03Screamer

This is a sweet piece of kit I'm seriously interested in buying a complete twin scroll kit, but wouldn't be ready to purchase one until the middle of next year (realistically anwhere from June-August).

I was dead set on buying the CARB legal Stillen supercharger because of the smog ****'s out here in Cali, and wanted a more linear/predictable powerband...but with this kit, it looks like it wouldn't take too much time nor effort (not much worse then having to throw on the stock cats) to take off enough parts to where I could pass smog fortunately

I also really like how the majority of the weight will be very low and torward the middle of the car, where as with the Stillen supercharger you got a bulky supercharger and bracket hanging over the front axle (on the driver side to make it worse) lol

Last edited by 03Screamer; 11-28-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 03Screamer
This is a sweet piece of kit I'm seriously interested in buying a complete twin scroll kit, but wouldn't be ready to purchase one until the middle of next year (realistically anwhere from June-August).

I was dead set on buying the CARB legal Stillen supercharger because of the smog ****'s out here in Cali, and wanted a more linear/predictable powerband...but with this kit, it looks like it wouldn't take too much time nor effort (not much worse then having to throw on the stock cats) to take off enough parts to where I could pass smog fortunately

I also really like how the majority of the weight will be very low and torward the middle of the car, where as with the Stillen supercharger you got a bulky supercharger and bracket hanging over the front axle (on the driver side to make it worse) lol
Great, just let me know when you are ready.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:20 PM
03Screamer

Certainly will do...for the time being I'll keep my eyes peeled on this thread, and the BP thread on the 370z forum

I was just wondering what turbo size/spec you might reccomend for my engine setup and goals - Which would ultimately be a 3.7 stroker (with Z1 shorty headers, 280 Tomei cams, and ported GT-R manifold/TB's if it ever hits the market) with 10:1 compression and ~ 700whp on E85...likely revving to about 8k. The car will be a fairly serious track machine, so I'm after something with very quick spool and transient response.

My turbo knowledge is a bit outdated, so I thought I'd ask someone more knowledgeable. Thanks for any insight.

Last edited by 03Screamer; 11-29-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:55 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 03Screamer
Certainly will do...for the time being I'll keep my eyes peeled on this thread, and the BP thread on the 370z forum

I was just wondering what turbo size/spec you might reccomend for my engine setup and goals - Which would ultimately be a 3.7 stroker (with Z1 shorty headers, 280 Tomei cams, and ported GT-R manifold/TB's if it ever hits the market) with 10:1 compression and ~ 700whp on E85...likely revving to about 8k. The car will be a fairly serious track machine, so I'm after something with very quick spool and transient response.

My turbo knowledge is a bit outdated, so I thought I'd ask someone more knowledgeable. Thanks for any insight.
This is the turbo you would want to go with:

http://www.precisionturbo.net/Street...T6766-CEA®/480

T4 1.32 a/r turbine housin for sure. "Quick spool" is a relative term, so for that kind of power, spool will bit a bit slower, but you can also go with the BB option to help with that.