Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

New to test pipes have a few questions, is this normal?

Old 10-24-2014, 05:21 PM
Louis21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to test pipes have a few questions, is this normal?

Hey Guys
I just got test pipes installed and have a few questions. First off I got them not so much because i wanted extra power or for future mods, but mostly because one of my cats went bad and it was cheaper to get test pipes installed than the price of 1 new OEM Cat.
Car is an 07 Enthusiast MT (stock everything, other than the pipes now)
I got them installed at a local shop, and I just have some questions to see if its normal or not. I've only had them on for a couple of days so maybe this is all me just needing to get used to things...
First and foremost the car is really loud, but mostly inside the cabin, not so much outside. So loud that you really have to raise your voice a bit to talk to the person next to you especially when accelerating. Its a loud growling noise not the raspy noise i was warned I would have (non resonated pipes). It happens mostly throughout the rpm range when I accelerate, if at idle its ok or when keeping the car at a constant speed
Another thing I have noticed is almost like its slower off the line, like i really have to make more effort to give it gas from a stop for it to move. Again not sure if this is just me that Im taking it easy because of how loud it is that Im afraid to punch it and have something pop but its almost like its sluggish even when starting from a stop light.
I also got of course CELs, p0420 and p0430 for both cats which I understand is normal.
I guess my questions are mostly are test pipes really that loud inside the car as well? I figured they'd be loud but mostly outside, its almost like i installed an exhaust inside the car.
Also did you lose any low end torque with them , as it seems I did since the car seems sluggish to get off from a stop? Sometimes Its almost like it gurgles a bit after first starting the car and at idle..

Thanks!
Louis
Old 10-24-2014, 05:29 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

you will notice some cabin noise, you are are more free flowing now and they are right by the kick panels inside. anytime you open things up (test pipes and large diameter exhaust) you are going to lose some low end torque but gain mid to high end HP
Old 10-25-2014, 02:40 AM
Suwaidi

Test pipes will make your car significantly louder, it also depends on what exhaust setup you're running with them. If you're done with mods or have a significant number of bolt-ons (exhaust, intake, test pipes), consider an UpRev tune not only to optimize your gains, but to keep AFR values within a safe range.

The codes will appear with most test pipes unless (1) you can turn them off through UpRev, or (2) you weld o2 bungs.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:53 AM
Louis21

Thanks for the replies. About the uprev? Do you know how much am I looking at for one? Would I be better off getting hfc's ? I read up revs aren't cheap so if getting HFCs installed comes out cheaper and helps with the hp might be something to consider. I thought for an uprev u had to buy software etc. can I just get the tune done at a shop? Sorry lots of questions.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:02 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

with the question you are asking, DONT TRY IT YOURSELF.... pay someone to do it. mine was about $700 to be dyno tuned
Old 10-25-2014, 09:49 AM
Suwaidi

UpRev will cost you $500 to $700 for the initial tune and license, after that any re-tunes will usually be charged hourly (~$200). Since you're in Florida, I would suggest looking at ZFever, S&R Performance or Z1Motorsports. Look @ UpRev.com for more info.

If you're looking to optimize gains (assuming you have other mods) and possibly looking to restore that low-end, an UpRev tune might be your solution. If you're just looking to get the same butt-dyno feel you had before test pipes, just find used OEM cats.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:27 AM
Louis21

Would HFC's be quieter than test pipes? I am seriously considering swapping. It is really annoying not to be able to have a conversation in the car without raising your voice, or having to crank the radio just to hear the music. Not to mention that I take long trips on my car daily and i cant see this not affecting your hearing. If it was only loud at certain rpms id be fine but it is loud all tru the band, just gets louder when i accelerate, regardless whether that is at 1k or 3k rpms. I wouldn't mind if it was loud outside but it really is louder inside the cabin than outside....
Old 10-25-2014, 11:48 AM
The_Assassin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Louis21
Would HFC's be quieter than test pipes? I am seriously considering swapping. It is really annoying not to be able to have a conversation in the car without raising your voice, or having to crank the radio just to hear the music. Not to mention that I take long trips on my car daily and i cant see this not affecting your hearing. If it was only loud at certain rpms id be fine but it is loud all tru the band, just gets louder when i accelerate, regardless whether that is at 1k or 3k rpms. I wouldn't mind if it was loud outside but it really is louder inside the cabin than outside....
I have test pipes and single 3inch exhaust and i can have a convo in my car. I dont see why your pipes are so loud inside that you cant talk.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:40 PM
Fun40zx

Are the test pipes resonated? You could have a leak from the gaskets too.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:38 AM
Louis21

They were not resonated, as far as I know....even though for the price I paid they should have. I ended up swapping them for Kinetix HFC's and its been night and day since then. To be honest I am not sure why they were so loud. I know the guys at the shop hat fitment issues with them, the driver's side pipe would not line up properly and they had to literally cut and re-weld the pipe so it would align properly.
That was a waste of 250 bucks..if anyone wants them I'm not using them, they're just sitting there..
Old 11-18-2014, 04:02 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There was probably a leak. Test pipes arent THAT loud.