Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Low oil pressure at idle???

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 07:01 PM
NissanTracker

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Just did mine on my 07 Nismo. No check engine or p codes. Gasket is made of paper and it blew. I included the parts list for all the gaskets.

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...iast-151k.html
Old 05-10-2016, 10:32 PM
Xrabbix

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NissanTracker
Just did mine on my 07 Nismo. No check engine or p codes. Gasket is made of paper and it blew. I included the parts list for all the gaskets.

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...iast-151k.html
Yep finishing up mine shortly. Smaller oil galley gasket was blown out. Replaced both. Waiting on my RTV to cure so I can fill her with oil and coolant and hope she runs good.

Took it apart without taking the front end off...putting it together with the front end off was SO much faster lol.
Best advice for anyone doing this is rip that front end off first!

Last edited by Xrabbix; 05-10-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:36 AM
wisniaPl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any tips how much torque for oil galley?
Any grease or straight gasket?
Old 06-16-2016, 04:47 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wisniaPl
Any tips how much torque for oil galley?
Any grease or straight gasket?
Use copper spray. No rtv and definitely no ****ing grease. Replace the **** Phillips bolts with Allen bolts. Look up :vq35hr eps timing gallery kit" on Google. They specifically make a kit for this.
The following users liked this post:
rancor (01-27-2017)
Old 06-20-2016, 04:02 PM
wisniaPl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
Use copper spray. No rtv and definitely no ****ing grease. Replace the **** Phillips bolts with Allen bolts. Look up :vq35hr eps timing gallery kit" on Google. They specifically make a kit for this.
Ive bought concept z gaskets along with Allen bolts,how do they compare to eps ones?
Eps gaskets have metal.inside? I just dont feel like doing it again in case t hey will blow and leak again
Old 01-27-2017, 09:46 AM
Sheasta

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this threads old but I came across it when searching and my oil pressure is like 10 psi at idle... Normal/spec at other rpm ranges, no oil pressure light at idle, no code, no noise, just under 50k miles, running gtr oil (Mobil 1 0w40.) my shop foreman at the Nissan dealership said this happens on the 4.0 L motors too. He also said that the spec used to be 6-8 psi at idle and as long as its operating normal, not making noise (lifter from lack of oil etc) and there's no code then not to worry about it until it becomes bad enough to actually cause a problem... But in my case I can do this at anytime so I'm just gonna wait. He also said these cars rarely come in for this because only **** people like us even notice this and he has not seen it cause a problem yet... He's a master tech that's even gtr certified.

Note: my oil pressure is only showing that low on the gauge in the car and I have not put on a manual gauge yet or looked it up on consult. The pressure is also only this low after heavy driving when the oil gets really hot and thin. My engine runs like a top and makes no strange noises.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:14 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

What's the pressure at 3K rpm's with a hot engine? Spec is 42 psi minimum.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:23 AM
Sheasta

Originally Posted by dcains
What's the pressure at 3K rpm's with a hot engine? Spec is 42 psi minimum.
I believe it was 45, I'll recheck today after work.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:25 PM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheasta
I know this threads old but I came across it when searching and my oil pressure is like 10 psi at idle... Normal/spec at other rpm ranges, no oil pressure light at idle, no code, no noise, just under 50k miles, running gtr oil (Mobil 1 0w40.) my shop foreman at the Nissan dealership said this happens on the 4.0 L motors too. He also said that the spec used to be 6-8 psi at idle and as long as its operating normal, not making noise (lifter from lack of oil etc) and there's no code then not to worry about it until it becomes bad enough to actually cause a problem... But in my case I can do this at anytime so I'm just gonna wait. He also said these cars rarely come in for this because only **** people like us even notice this and he has not seen it cause a problem yet... He's a master tech that's even gtr certified.

Note: my oil pressure is only showing that low on the gauge in the car and I have not put on a manual gauge yet or looked it up on consult. The pressure is also only this low after heavy driving when the oil gets really hot and thin. My engine runs like a top and makes no strange noises.
Same here. Been that way since new to me at 35k miles now at 47k no issues just low at idle. Im also running mobil 1 euro spec 0w40 wich bumped me from 10-12 to 15-16 at full hot idle
Old 01-27-2017, 12:30 PM
Xrabbix

the tell sign of the oil gaskets blown out are low oil pressure at idle.

This was my only problem, I Replaced the gaskets and now i idle about 28PSI at warm idle.

I Was at around 8psi warm idle before.

i would NOT drive around with your oil pressure that low at idle, It will only get worse. I Parked my car until i was able to fix it AS SOON as i noticed a problem.

Anything below 14PSI warm idle IS a problem. Fix it if your that low.

changing oil viscocitys will not fix the problem, Your oil gaskets are blown out if your seeing pressure that low at warm idle. Oil pressure is not something to "just ignore and pretend its not a problem"

again, Anything under 14PSI @ warm idle = problem. Fix asap.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:33 PM
nizmo_0385

Originally Posted by Xrabbix
the tell sign of the oil gaskets blown out are low oil pressure at idle.

This was my only problem, I Replaced the gaskets and now i idle about 28PSI at warm idle.

I Was at around 8psi warm idle before.

i would NOT drive around with your oil pressure that low at idle, It will only get worse. I Parked my car until i was able to fix it AS SOON as i noticed a problem.

Anything below 14PSI warm idle IS a problem. Fix it if your that low.

changing oil viscocitys will not fix the problem, Your oil gaskets are blown out if your seeing pressure that low at warm idle. Oil pressure is not something to "just ignore and pretend its not a problem"

again, Anything under 14PSI @ warm idle = problem. Fix asap.
Yes i know the gaskets are blown however this will not result in any problems. Nissan minimum spec at idle is 14 psi. Oil pressure is normal during driving. So please enlighten us all on how this will cause an issue. Nissan wont touch my under warranty car because its in spec and no oil light. Id love for you to give me info to tell them to make em replace my gaskets under warranty
Old 01-27-2017, 12:38 PM
Xrabbix

Originally Posted by nizmo_0385
Yes i know the gaskets are blown however this will not result in any problems. Nissan minimum spec at idle is 14 psi. Oil pressure is normal during driving. So please enlighten us all on how this will cause an issue. Nissan wont touch my under warranty car because its in spec and no oil light. Id love for you to give me info to tell them to make em replace my gaskets under warranty
Your gaskets are already blown, They are paper so They will only get worse in time and your pressure will just continue to drop. You don't want to be driving around when all the sudden a big chunk of that gasket breaks off and massive lose oil pressure at 7000RPM

Read many many many stories about people ignoring these gaskets resulting in massive pressure loss blowing engines.

Oil pressure is pretty important, These gaskets are thin *** paper that are already breaking up in your motor, They will get worse in a few months absolutely.

There is a reason the min warm idle spec is 14 in the FSM
anything below that indicates a problem that needs addressing
Old 01-27-2017, 12:41 PM
nizmo_0385

Ill monitor it ive been on mobil 1 now for 8 months and not a change in oil pressure. My oil pressure prior to mobil 1 was 10-12 which oem guage reads low and it was consistent for 2 years. Not really sure
Old 01-27-2017, 03:55 PM
Sheasta

I'm not arguing that my gaskets are blown... I'm saying my idle is not low enough to hurt my motor. It's good to fix things before it's actually necessary but in my situation I can do it any day after work, so I'm gonna wait until it's an actual problem. My idle may be at 11 psi but my motor does not have any ticking, any oil pressure light, my oil pressure is 43 psi at 2k rpms and 59 psi at 3k rpms. It's also an option to just raise my idle with consult III +, just saying.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:51 PM
NR350z

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Im also experiencing this issue, recently, the past two days, my oil light will sometimes pop on at idle. Previous trial and error has lead me to believe that it was just an inaccurate gauge, but now I'm beginning to think otherwise.

My operating oil PSI's are close, besides idle, my gauge "wanders" so much its hard to get a consistent reading, sometimes the gauge reads perfect at "hot" temps (after 15-20min of driving) and sometimes its about ~5-8psi off the stock spec of >14 at idle and >45 at 2000RPM.

Two things, however, I am getting to the point of an oil change, ~7,000mi since last with RP 10w-30, which I've been told to switch to a 0W-40, and I also am about a little less than a quart low, could these issues be lending to my oil light popping on from time to time, 3x total in last 2 days, or is it the dreaded "oil galley" gasket?
Old 08-08-2017, 11:08 AM
Bilazaurus

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Gonna revive the old thread.
Some time ago I've noticed drop in oil pressure before changing oil (was 5w50 Miller's Oil) to new 5w50 Miller's Oil. It was 30psi at warm idle and 60psi at 2000rpm warm. Now it's about 20psi at warm idle and little over 45psi at 2000rpm warm. It's '06 revup. Do I need to panic now?
Old 08-08-2017, 11:53 AM
NR350z

Whats it at after driving for 20 min ? Are you burning any oil ?

You're still within spec, so I wouldn't worry too much, ...yet
Old 08-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Bilazaurus

Originally Posted by NR350z
Whats it at after driving for 20 min ? Are you burning any oil ?

You're still within spec, so I wouldn't worry too much, ...yet
It's as I mentioned. No oil burnt.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:57 AM
NR350z

Originally Posted by Bilazaurus
It's as I mentioned. No oil burnt.
You're above spec, so far, you're good.

Spec is >14psi at warm idle, >45psi at warm 2000RPM
Old 08-08-2017, 12:03 PM
Bilazaurus

Originally Posted by NR350z
You're above spec, so far, you're good.

Spec is >14psi at warm idle, >45psi at warm 2000RPM
Yup but these specs are for 5w30, my 5w50 is thicker, so I guess psi would be lower on 5w30.

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure at idle???