VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Idle air Relearn with Catch Can issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 01:26 PM
Mike Wait

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle air Relearn with Catch Can issue

Hi,
I'm about to install an open loop catch can (similar to the project imports kit) with an air filter venting to atmosphere, however I've run into a slight problem regarding the Idle Air Relearn procedure.

The procedure will only work if the coolant is a certain temperature and all these other conditions are met. Essentially, I'd have to run the car for a good 10 minutes at least to get to the normal operating temperature.

That being said to install my catch can i'd have to modify some hoses, cap a port or two, remove my PCV etc. Once the cans installed I won't be able to run without a PCV value, as the crank case pressure will be different. The car will barely even idle... (I tried disconnecting the PCV and starting the car... it stalls almost immediately)

Anyone have any suggestions?

My only idea was to have the can installed with the plumbing ready, but have my stock PCV system In place, then run the car to warm it up then quickly, swap over my hoses for the catch can and preform the relearn...
However this seems very inconvenient and might not even work.
Help!

I'd value your input

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-26-2016, 07:30 AM
John_B

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Idle air relearn shouldn't be required when removing the PCV. I had mine removed and replaced with just two breathers on each side. I will be also doing the coolant elimination to the TB.

To remove the PCV properly, you would need to cap off the hole behind the intake manifold.

Photos are not mine, but variation of how to eliminate the PCV using breathers or catch can.