VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

An Unusual Clutch Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 08:27 PM
MB037

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default An Unusual Clutch Sound?

Hi all,

I've spent the last couple of days searching, trying to find out the cause of an unusual sound when slipping the clutch.

I have no video of it yet, as it is very hard to nail down exactly when it will do it. I'll do my best to describe it

I have the normal sound in neutral with the clutch engaged, marbles rolling in a bowl. It isn't very loud, but it is noticeable. There are no other sounds when the pedal is pushed in, no whining from bearings, etc

The sound I hear is when I'm slipping the clutch, and it is a "groaning" sound. Not a click or a rattle or anything like that, but a drawn out groan. It usually does it when cold, but quite often in the afternoon heat too.
I did a reasonably long trip a few days ago (500kms non stop each way), and that is when I started to notice the same sound when selecting first after sitting in neutral at a light, just a very quick burst of that same groan sound. Sometimes it would do it when changing gears too.

That is what has got me a bit more curious, having the noise appear after a long time running. My thought is that it is noise coming from the actual friction material when it's slipping, and that maybe the heat build up while doing a longer distance run is somehow involved. Maybe the material expanding, just letting it drag a little?

I'm all eyes and ears for some ideas, and I'll try my best to get a video of it up.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:09 PM
MB037

I spent a while trawling Youtube to find clips that show the same sound, but I have been unable to find any.
So I have managed to get some videos done to show the sounds. Hopefully some people will be able to chime in with their thoughts or experiences.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NhF5NFej4D8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-30-2016, 10:10 PM
MB037

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9j8xzfFP5LE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-01-2016, 03:48 PM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Throw Out Bearing?
Old 11-02-2016, 09:52 PM
MB037

Originally Posted by Deteria
Throw Out Bearing?
I don't think it is, as I hear no odd sounds when the pedal is held in.
It's leaving me a bit baffled at the minute, as it's one I haven't been able to find others mention online.