Notices
VQ37HVR Mods and Support related to the 2009+ VHR engine

Possible V8 for new 370Z... with source

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 10:30 AM
35Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAHAHAHA....believe all that you read people. it's like those damn entertainment magazines telling you brit spears is having another baby when she' s not. In todays world with gas prices sky rocketing around the globe i highly doubt the japs will throw a big gas guzzling v8 into the Z. If you get off nissan a while and look into the american car companies, there going out of damn business all over. Read whats going on with GM. NO MORE V8's. # 1 there not selling due to gas prices and it's just not economical anymore. Even SUV's arent selling anymore. HUMMER's going down the tubes as well. If the Japs want the Z's to sell like they should putting in a v8 will probably only get most enthusiasts with $ to buy it and drive it. Otherwise the AVG Joe is sticking to 4 n 6 banger's to keep some $ in his or her pocket. What nissan should do like BMW is now incorporating into their 6's is turbo off the line. And even thats going to guzzle the gas, but hey it's better than filling up a v8 at the pumps!
Otherwise if you want the Z to be somewhat of a SUPERCAR throw the damn gtr engine into it already instead of a slightly worked 3.5 or 3.7 engine thats going to be shared with the MAXIMA/ALTIMA/PATHFINDER. The Z needs to be on it's own path with the GTR's engine. Then and only then will the Z be the greatest RWD! haha less they make it AWD...
Posted by Dr. Venture

+1!

I think the hood has potential. From these pics it is unclear whether the Z will remain a hatchback. The rest seams cobbled together (rendings/photo shops pics).

I like the idea of actual different trim levels base on different engine set-ups.

V6 vs. V8 potential gas mileage may not be a hugh difference depending how its is tuned. A V8 torque potentially may be greater vs a V6. A 6sp manual and 7spd CVT auto trans? I guess AWD "Z" is unlikely.

I guess we will have to stay tune to the LA auto show!
Old 06-28-2008, 05:59 PM
280z/300zx

Not sure why everyone is so down on V8's for gas mileage and same for FI. We just got back from driving between Vegas and Ca. On the trip to Ca going downhill from Vegas we got 28.7mpg and on the way home coming uphill we got 27.0. Mind you we averaged 85mph the whole way with several passing runs that had me nailing the throttle a little. This was in a 2006 C6 Vette automatic. My 2006 WRX doing the same trip I get 28 going to Ca and 26 coming home. We also have a 2000 T/A with the V8 and on the hwy it gets 24-26. I mean they don't compare to a Yaris or corolla but they aren't exactly horrible in gas mileage either. Now I admit, in town with liberal amounts of throttle these three cars will see 16-20mpg but it's a small price to pay for the amount of fun these cars are. Much better than driving around some 4-banger with no power.

All I'm saying is that with todays technology V8's and FI aren't that bad with gas mileage. Personally i would hate to see a V8 in the Z; keep it a 6. However, I will say that if done right a V8 Z could get decent mileage
Old 06-28-2008, 08:46 PM
stepuckey

highway miles are always going to own city. like you said, closer to 16ish is going to be more common for most of us. And at the rate our gas prices are going, I don't know how feasible/economical a v8 would be.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:41 AM
350zsunshinefl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

V8 is a thing of the past, I don't think we will be seeing many v8 cars in the future only a select few like ferrari maybe.. even they are considering going to 6.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With all the diversity of people from all over the globe living and coming into America i believe slowly this country will change it's ways and do what the rest of the world is doing and go with smaller engine for economical uses. As far as less power in a 4 banger that may be true off the line, but if you look at what can be done to a 4 banger and a 6 they can produce much more power than speculated. Take the B series Honda Engines for example. Or the Toyota Supra engine as well. Not to mention the M3 6 banger's engine. They all put out good power and some with out help. I believe if it wasn't for our shitty government and their Greedy ways about $, we'd all have a sick *** car running on water instead of petrol because we do have that technology. And not to mention all the restraints the USA put son vehicles for Power and Emissions, Laughing stock of the world we are these days!
Old 06-29-2008, 04:42 PM
UnFairLady Z

G
Old 06-30-2008, 01:27 AM
Greg06

Originally Posted by stepuckey
And at the rate our gas prices are going, I don't know how feasible/economical a v8 would be.
That opinion would vary from person to person. (everyone has a different budget )

Last edited by Greg06; 06-30-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:43 AM
in.the.dark

Shrugging off those that don't understand what I'm going on about and calling for a ban, I think someone has presented an interesting counter-case for what I'll refer to as the 500Z, supposing Nissan goes with the VK50 they're already using in other applications of the FM platform. That case is based on the current price of gasoline. Greg06 has very simply and correctly put that this is a perspective issue. I think he said he's put me on his ignore list (fine by me, not everyone understands what I'm saying, and I'm betting some of that fault lies with me), so he can't see this, but he's right. On top of that, the next Z34 with a VK would weigh maybe 100lbs more at most than the standard Z34 with the VQ37. If Nissan is dropping 200lbs from the current Z, then the net loss for the 500Z would be only 100lbs. less than the current Z (which is conservatively high), or roughly 3300lbs-ish (controversial curb weights aside). The fuel economy in the FX35 AWD is 16/21 and the FX50 AWD is listed at 14/20. I'm using the AWD's because they show the change in mpg for the same drivetrain. This comparison shows a 12.5% loss in the city and a 4.7% loss on the highway. Ok, so we now have a rough basis for how a VK50 will fair in comparison to a VQ35. So for a comparison to today's Z, which is listed at 18/25, applying the same percentage loss nets 15.75/23.8. So figure the drop in weight to the next Z give us 16/24, or 20 combined mpg.

That's spot on for a modern 400hp V8. Now, as Greg has kindly pointed out, whether this is affordable for some is a question of whether or not you can afford a 20mpg car at $4.00+ a gallon. This car would be a posterchild of performance.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:27 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you STFU already. You are a clueless moron.

Originally Posted by in.the.dark
Shrugging off those that don't understand what I'm going on about and calling for a ban, I think someone has presented an
interesting counter-case for what I'll refer to as the 500Z, supposing Nissan goes with the VK50 they're already using in other applications of the FM platform. That case is based on the current price of gasoline. Greg06 has very simply and correctly put that this is a perspective issue. I think he said he's put me on his ignore list (fine by me, not everyone understands what I'm saying, and I'm betting some of that fault lies with me), so he can't see this, but he's right. On top of that, the next Z34 with a VK would weigh maybe 100lbs more at most than the standard Z34 with the VQ37. If Nissan is dropping 200lbs from the current Z, then the net loss for the 500Z would be only 100lbs. less than the current Z (which is conservatively high), or roughly 3300lbs-ish (controversial curb weights aside). The fuel economy in the FX35 AWD is 16/21 and the FX50 AWD is listed at 14/20. I'm using the AWD's because they show the change in mpg for the same drivetrain. This comparison shows a 12.5% loss in the city and a 4.7% loss on the highway. Ok, so we now have a rough basis for how a VK50 will fair in comparison to a VQ35. So for a comparison to today's Z, which is listed at 18/25, applying the same percentage loss nets 15.75/23.8. So figure the drop in weight to the next Z give us 16/24, or 20 combined mpg.

That's spot on for a modern 400hp V8. Now, as Greg has kindly pointed out, whether this is affordable for some is a question of whether or not you can afford a 20mpg car at $4.00+ a gallon. This car would be a posterchild of performance.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Jabdo233

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
+1.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:41 PM
in.the.dark

Quick to make this personal, eh? Chill. I'm not here calling names or breaking any rules. I'm just here making a case for a car that was reported to have been in consideration by top Nissan officials. I've even said that it's possible (and I'll even say probable at this point) that this car would not make it to market.

I've never seen a group of forum posters so quick to yell, "BLASPHEME! HERESY! BURN HIM!" It's pretty funny actually and I guess I shouldn't expect much better from the Internet types.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:48 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Quick to make this personal, eh? Chill. I'm not here calling names or breaking any rules. I'm just here making a case for a car that was reported to have been in consideration by top Nissan officials. I've even said that it's possible (and I'll even say probable at this point) that this car would not make it to market.

I've never seen a group of forum posters so quick to yell, "BLASPHEME! HERESY! BURN HIM!" It's pretty funny actually and I guess I shouldn't expect much better from the Internet types.
Never was reported. Again no evidence. Just some magazine that no one heard of mentioned it. Back the facts up boy.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:54 PM
brooke

Some people just don't have anything else to do but ***** and complain..

Myself would love to build an awsome v8 Twin Turbo if the internals are some what strong enough....
Old 06-30-2008, 01:47 PM
in.the.dark

Never was reported. Again no evidence. Just some magazine that no one heard of mentioned it. Back the facts up boy.
You can claim 'no evidence' all you want, but it's been provided and discussed across many Z sites. But for you, I'll repost ('cause I love you so much). Best Car is a well known Japanese magazine. They interviewed Z34 Chief of Production Shinjiro Yukawa last month. They stated that direct from the lips of Mr. Yukawa himself a V8 was being considered.

Go here: www.google.com

Type in "Best car nissan z v8".

Click the "Google Search" button.

You will find the Z community is alight with discussing this very article. At this point, I don't know what further evidence you want that a V8 Z34 is being discussed. Nissan (nor any other car company) don't put out press releases on what they are considering. Should Mr. Yukawa come out and deny having stated they are considering a V8 and discredit Best Car, then so be it, but I don't think we will se that.

Last edited by in.the.dark; 06-30-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:10 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Funny thing is I found nothing from Nissan stating this. LOL believe everything u read on the net right.

You can claim 'no evidence' all you want, but it's been provided and discussed across many Z sites. But for you, I'll repost ('cause I love you so much). Best Car is a well known Japanese magazine. They interviewed Z34 Chief of Production Shinjiro Yukawa last month. They stated that direct from the lips of Mr. Yukawa himself a V8 was being considered.

Go here: www.google.com

Type in "Best car nissan z v8".

Click the "Google Search" button.

You will find the Z community is alight with discussing this very article. At this point, I don't know what further evidence you want that a V8 Z34 is being discussed. Nissan (nor any other car company) don't put out press releases on what they are considering. Should Mr. Yukawa come out and deny having stated they are considering a V8 and discredit Best Car, then so be it, but I don't think we will se that.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:04 PM
in.the.dark

Funny thing is I found nothing from Nissan stating this. LOL believe everything u read on the net right.
Again, Nissan would not put out a press release stating that they are thinking about putting a V8 in the car. Once they made up their mind, you could then expect some kind of press release.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:46 PM
zsport1

Originally Posted by Jabdo233
+1. Go away
+2

Last edited by zsport1; 06-30-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:59 PM
in.the.dark

Originally Posted by zsport1
+2
Are you serenading me?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:50 PM
zsport1

Oh yes. This thread looks so much better now that IDT idiot is on my ignore list. I highly recommend it.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:37 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

arguing with ITD, is like arguing with a 6 year old, theres just no point. You would have a more intelligent conversation talking to a wall. and yes, it is a hell of alot better when he's on your ignore list

Last edited by NISMO_558; 07-01-2008 at 12:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Possible V8 for new 370Z... with source