Notices
VQ37HVR Mods and Support related to the 2009+ VHR engine

370Z with a 3.7L??? When there is a 4.0!

Old 11-28-2008, 02:24 PM
bruddahmatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by newtkindred
About what? The VQ37VHR is basically a stroked VQ35DE with a modified head and intake.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:29 PM
newtkindred

Originally Posted by bruddahmatt
So you fap to SAE PDFs every single day. What do you want for that a medal?

Perhaps by some miracle after all of your SAE review sessions you somehow know more than I do about BBC Rats, FE BBs and Chrysler RBs. Perhaps your wealth of statistical knowledge is indeed a vast one.

But IMO:

= ignorant.
Man, you are funny. Perhaps that one line I quoted may not be accurate but I doubt that anyone who knows me would say I do not know much about cars. Did I say I know more than you about cars??? How would I even know how much you know about cars? I do not even care. But I have had many Nissan engines in my garage and have rebuilt a couple of them.

Are you a master mechanic, automotive engineer, etc. Just curious?

What is your point anyway? My point was that the VQ in the 370Z is from the SAME VQ family of engines found in other Nissans and that most auto manufacturers use the same engines through out their total car range.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:50 PM
newtkindred

OK, now I am at a loss. Please explain to me what is so humorous about me saying the VQ37VHR is a variation of the VQ35DE. Here is a quote from Ward's.

http://wardsauto.com/reports/2008/te...ssan_3-7l_v-6/

"By now, Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.’s all-conquering VQ V-6 architecture needs no introduction.

The 3.7L variant’s 2008 10 Best Engines award marks the 14th consecutive win for the VQ, and it is the only engine to win every year of the competition’s history.

The VQ “brand” was established in 1995 on the pillars of landmark refinement and ultra-low noise, vibration and harshness levels.

Like many rivals, however, Nissan has not resisted the temptation to increase displacement, and over the years it grew into three distinct iterations: the original and oh-so-smooth 3.0L, the 3.5L introduced in 2002 (and still powering the majority of models from Nissan and its premium Infiniti brand) and the new 3.7L DOHC V-6 (VQ37VHR), which wins the 10 Best Engines award for 2008 and for now is available exclusively in the ’08 Infiniti G37 Coupe.

In the quest for punchier power and torque numbers, the move to 3.5L was, to our senses, a tradeoff that peeled back on the VQ’s signature refinement. But when the company’s engineers unleashed the HR (High Rev) generation last year, many of the design changes – a structural ladder frame in the block, larger crank journals and asymmetric piston skirts, to name a few – had the tertiary effect of improving NVH while enabling higher, more satisfying engine speeds.

Now the stroked 3.7L variant of the VQ’s HR design enjoys the same, only moreso. Our favorite: the sweet sting of 330 hp, a power improvement of almost 10% compared with the VQ35HR.

A little perspective helps, too. The latest VQ V-6’s 330 hp is 30 horses stronger than Ford Motor Co.’s standard 4.6L Mustang V-8.

A prime goal was permitting engine speeds even higher than the 3.5L HR variant. Here, Nissan’s octane-crazed engineers didn’t mess around. The hair-raising new redline of 7,500 rpm is effortlessly and smartly accessed with almost no adverse auditory or tactile sensations.

Nissan says about 35% of the parts are unique to the 3.7L VQ, and the major new addition is the electronically adjusted variable valve lift (Variable Valve Event and Lift), imparting a “throttleless” effect not unlike BMW AG’s Valvetronic, which also markedly reduces pumping losses by essentially throttling the engine with the intake valves.

Even with the efficiency claims for VVEL, we believe fuel economy, at 17 mpg (13.8 L/100 km) in the city and 26 mpg (9 L/100 km) on the highway is hardly encouraging, and is one of our few complaints about the 3.7L DOHC V-6.

But this latest 3.7L variant of Nissan’s special VQ V-6 may be the best in 14 years and is a magnificently focused engineering effort."
Old 11-28-2008, 02:58 PM
bruddahmatt

OK, now I am at a loss. Please explain to me what is so humorous about me saying the VQ37VHR is a variation of the VQ35DE. Here is a quote from Ward's.
You did NOT say it was a variation of the DE. You said it was simply a long stroke DE with dual intakes and modified heads. Actually you said "a modified head." You know the motor comes with two right? I kid I kid.

About what? The VQ37VHR is basically a stroked VQ35DE with a modified head and intake.
Or did you forget what you typed 10 minutes ago?

If you had said that the VQ37VHR was basically a longer stroke VQ35HR with VVEL, I would have agreed with you as that's actually pretty accurate. But you said DE...three times...in three separate posts.

Last edited by bruddahmatt; 11-28-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:11 PM
bruddahmatt

I'll give you a hint. Start from the "bottom end" up.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:15 PM
OldDirty Z33

I read from the bottom up backwards and it didn't work
Old 11-28-2008, 03:48 PM
newtkindred

You did NOT say it was a variation of the DE. You said it was simply a long stroke DE with dual intakes and modified heads. Actually you said "a modified head." You know the motor comes with two right? I kid I kid.

Or did you forget what you typed 10 minutes ago?

If you had said that the VQ37VHR was basically a longer stroke VQ35HR with VVEL, I would have agreed with you as that's actually pretty accurate. But you said DE...three times...in three separate posts.
Ok, I get what you are saying. When I said "basically" I meant "real basic". The same "family" of engines sharing the same architecture. No worries. I think we both know what we are saying so no big deal. Either way it is a darn good motor?

Last edited by newtkindred; 11-28-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:59 PM
bruddahmatt

Ok, I get what you are saying. When I said "basically" I meant "real basic". The same "family" of engines sharing the same architecture. No worries. I think we both know what we are saying so no big deal. Either way it is a darn good motor?
When I said bottom end, I meant the bottom end of the HR. I'm guessing you've never seen the underside of an HR. When I responded to your comment that the 37VHR was just a DE with a set of dual intakes and new heads, I was implying that it goes WAY beyond that and that your assumptions about the motor being a simple update are wrong. Compared with the 35DE the HR engines have built bed plate bottom ends, a taller deck height, different internals, a higher CR and many more changes beyond just a set of dual intakes and new heads. If anything, I believe the block received more changes than the heads rendering your statement about the HR being "just a DE with new heads" incorrect as well.

The reason I made such a big deal out of it is because we're all familiar with Nissan's obnoxious cost cutting measures when it comes to their vehicles. They penny pinch in the most retarded places sometimes (weird things like removing the auto dimming feature on the passenger side mirror of the QX56 for 2009 come to mind) but amazingly enough, they actually went above and beyond with regards to the HR. I too wish that sometimes they'd set our motors up for a bit more low end torque, but what gets me is the fact that the HR (both the 35HR and the 37VHR) is actually a pretty amazingly well engineered mass production engine. Especially when compared with the somewhat flawed VQ35DE Rev-Up. I doubt we'll see a V8 Z anytime soon, but I wouldn't be so quick to rule out Nissan going FI on either the Z or the G37. These motors are stout pieces that are built to take some serious punishment and make some serious power.

In other words, while a handful (not everyone) of people are already criticizing the Z for making "only" 332hp, what they don't realize is the potential within the motor and the room for improvement via either the aftermarket, or some sort of factory update from Nissan. The HR is one hell of a motor and much more than a bolt ons DE. Show me another mass produced (i.e. not limited production) 3.7L engine that can rev to 7500rpm...reliably...and be covered under warranty for 4 years/60k miles (Infiniti warranty). The HR is a hell of a motor. And the fact that it can be had for a little under 30k in what looks to be one heck of a bargain sports car deserves a pair of thumbs up IMO. So the next time a Z guy hangs his head because the Maxima next to him also has a VQ under its hood, he needs to remember that his HR ISN'T just another VQ and that it IS in fact something special. THAT was my point.

Last edited by bruddahmatt; 11-28-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:17 AM
newtkindred

When I said bottom end, I meant the bottom end of the HR. I'm guessing you've never seen the underside of an HR. When I responded to your comment that the 37VHR was just a DE with a set of dual intakes and new heads, I was implying that it goes WAY beyond that and that your assumptions about the motor being a simple update are wrong. Compared with the 35DE the HR engines have built bed plate bottom ends, a taller deck height, different internals, a higher CR and many more changes beyond just a set of dual intakes and new heads. If anything, I believe the block received more changes than the heads rendering your statement about the HR being "just a DE with new heads" incorrect as well.

The reason I made such a big deal out of it is because we're all familiar with Nissan's obnoxious cost cutting measures when it comes to their vehicles. They penny pinch in the most retarded places sometimes (weird things like removing the auto dimming feature on the passenger side mirror of the QX56 for 2009 come to mind) but amazingly enough, they actually went above and beyond with regards to the HR. I too wish that sometimes they'd set our motors up for a bit more low end torque, but what gets me is the fact that the HR (both the 35HR and the 37VHR) is actually a pretty amazingly well engineered mass production engine. Especially when compared with the somewhat flawed VQ35DE Rev-Up. I doubt we'll see a V8 Z anytime soon, but I wouldn't be so quick to rule out Nissan going FI on either the Z or the G37. These motors are stout pieces that are built to take some serious punishment and make some serious power.

In other words, while a handful (not everyone) of people are already criticizing the Z for making "only" 332hp, what they don't realize is the potential within the motor and the room for improvement via either the aftermarket, or some sort of factory update from Nissan. The HR is one hell of a motor and much more than a bolt ons DE. Show me another mass produced (i.e. not limited production) 3.7L engine that can rev to 7500rpm...reliably...and be covered under warranty for 4 years/60k miles (Infiniti warranty). The HR is a hell of a motor. And the fact that it can be had for a little under 30k in what looks to be one heck of a bargain sports car deserves a pair of thumbs up IMO. So the next time a Z guy hangs his head because the Maxima next to him also has a VQ under its hood, he needs to remember that his HR ISN'T just another VQ and that it IS in fact something special. THAT was my point.
You're correct. Never seen the underside of a HR. But I was aware of the internal changes and in the block itself. Again, I think you misunderstood what I meant. It is all relative. I agree the HR is a great motor. I think many of Nissans motors are great. Always been a fan.