Notices
VQ37HVR Mods and Support related to the 2009+ VHR engine

New 370z (13.5 @ 105 mph) combined times

Old 11-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Endgame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The improvements are more than slight...

* .99g skidpad (from .91g)
* 101 feet stopping from 60mph (from 109)
* 4.7 0-60 (from 5.1) ... I go by MotorTrend as that one is more logical. If they hit that with the MT, the AT will hit it for sure
* handles like the Nismo

That is a hit my fellow Romans.... Very similar to the difference between the C6 and the C5 Z06. That is a big improvement for the base model with room to grow. Stand by for the Nismo...
Old 11-28-2008, 04:04 PM
zsport1

Originally Posted by Firebase99
For the most pasrt I agree. However, the market is extremely volatile. It's competitive and very cut throat. People want, DEMAND their dollar go a long way in todays economy. Im no different. I have about $40 grand to spend on a car. If Nissan wanted my repeat business, they could have, they SHOULD have done more with SIX years of evolution from the Z33 to Z34. A MARGINALLY SLIGHTLY better, faster Z is NOT justification for MY $40k. FWIW, my 2 cents.
You might have $40K to spend on a car. But there is a huge market out there for customers who can afford right around the $30K mark. That's where the Z comes in and fills the niche perfectly. And that's the way it's always been for the Z Car (Except maybe the Z32TT. Which was still lot's of car for the $). The Z car will do just fine the way it is. And for those who are looking for more and like the new Z, the will buy it and mod it.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:09 PM
BobDigi5060

It's not like the 03 350Z was head and shoulders better than the 300ZXTT. A lot more time for R & D in the Z33 too. 350Z is a more complete package and may handle better outta the box but acceleration was still only slightly better if at all any better. Not to mention the base and track model being several hundred pounds lighter.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:13 PM
OldDirty Z33

Even tho I love the new look I can deal that that mid 13 crap. I was thinking a very very low 13 would come out of it
Old 11-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Endgame

Originally Posted by OldDirty Z33
Even tho I love the new look I can deal that that mid 13 crap. I was thinking a very very low 13 would come out of it
Is 13.3 mid 13's??? I would consider that low 13s...
Old 11-28-2008, 05:06 PM
skaterbasist

LOL @ all the baby criers and other people trying to make themselves feel better about their 350Z.

Bottom line is at the track, whether its the drag strip or the circuit track, the 370Z should easily outperform an 07-08 Z.

As far as the 7AT, its NOT going to be faster. But it should be as quick as the 6MT. People need to actually look at their gearing (seems like no one is doing that). The first 2 gears, the 7AT has a clear advantage. The 6MT in the other hand, has an advantage on its 3rd (negligible), 4th, 5th, & 6th gear. And not to mention, thought AT's have been improving on this, they still have a little more drivetrain loss.

IMO, 370Z > 350Z by a long shot. In looks, interior, and performance.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:18 PM
scmtkings4

^^^interior and performance. Def ill give you that

looks is subjective. And i dont agree with you there

and dont bring up the whole "trying to make me feel better bout the 350" crap.

i kno that there will always be cars faster/better than yours and im fine with what i have

no hate for the 370, just saying it like it is
Old 11-28-2008, 06:20 PM
SniperHunter

I think perhaps one of the reasons for the not so great 1/4 mile times and great 0-60 times are the wheels. At 19'' each, with 275'' of width at the rear, there is no doubt in my mind that this isn't exactly a lightweight wheel combo. The 19'' forged rims on the Grand Tourings weighed 30lbs, with an additional 30lbs for the tire (if I recall correctly). That's a 10lb difference over the standard OEMs (24lbs in the rear) and the OEM tires (27lbs in the rear).

Both the new tires and rims are wider, so there's an extremely good chance they may be even heavier than the wheels on 07-08s. I'd like to see mags run the base model Z through some 1/4s, since it wears 18s.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:22 PM
laswyguy

that trap is pretty weak..
Old 11-28-2008, 07:05 PM
highflyinkilla

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
I think perhaps one of the reasons for the not so great 1/4 mile times and great 0-60 times are the wheels. At 19'' each, with 275'' of width at the rear, there is no doubt in my mind that this isn't exactly a lightweight wheel combo. The 19'' forged rims on the Grand Tourings weighed 30lbs, with an additional 30lbs for the tire (if I recall correctly). That's a 10lb difference over the standard OEMs (24lbs in the rear) and the OEM tires (27lbs in the rear).

Both the new tires and rims are wider, so there's an extremely good chance they may be even heavier than the wheels on 07-08s. I'd like to see mags run the base model Z through some 1/4s, since it wears 18s.
These new rims are suppose to be 6lbs. lighter for each.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:11 PM
SniperHunter

Hmm, what tires are the 19s wrapped with? Also, doesn't increasing wheel size still have an affect on acceleration?

At the end of the day, I know that the best thing to do is to wait until real drivers do this at a real drag strip, so I'm just speculating for my own entertainment. I have no doubt in my mind this car will hit 12s.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:12 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by black06z
Absolutely dreadful!!!
That's what I was thinking.

Didn't someone run like a 13.3 stock on the 350z?
Old 11-28-2008, 07:18 PM
SniperHunter

So? Who cares? Magazine times are always slower than real drivers. Magazines also ran 13.7-14.0 with HR-Zs. There is very little correlation.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:37 PM
trebien

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
As far as the 7AT, its NOT going to be faster. But it should be as quick as the 6MT.
+1

The 7AT and 6MT will be neck-and-neck... with neither substantially faster or slower. Now, a 7 spd DCT tranny... that's a different story.

The 7AT has more gears, but still has higher drivetrain losses... so it negates those advantages. However, it's still quite an achievement: It has the same performance AND economy as a 6MT... good for those that want an auto, with no fuel economy hit and no acceleration hit.

Look at the weights and power, people. Nothing revolutionary, here... no matter how much fanboyz wanted a 3100 pound Z with 350 HP. Now THAT would have been interesting.

And to this person:

Originally Posted by Firebase99
If Nissan wanted my repeat business, they could have, they SHOULD have done more with SIX years of evolution from the Z33 to Z34. A MARGINALLY SLIGHTLY better, faster Z is NOT justification for MY $40k.
Well said. It's MY money... and I will spend it how I see fit, for the performance that I demand. As I've said before, the 370Z IS an improvmenet, and it SHOULD be. But I still feel that Nissan over-hyped how much better it would be...

And someone, somewhere, on a cold night, with a sticky track, and a perfet launch... might just break into the 12's... but this is not indicative of the typical 370Z performance.

For a first year launch, I didn't expect hugely revolutionary performance numbers... but they could have tried a little harder, considering the state of things.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:07 AM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by scmtkings4
^^^interior and performance. Def ill give you that

looks is subjective. And i dont agree with you there

and dont bring up the whole "trying to make me feel better bout the 350" crap.

i kno that there will always be cars faster/better than yours and im fine with what i have

no hate for the 370, just saying it like it is
You're right. The exterior is purely subjective. I honestly have to say that no one really should make a final judgement on the car until they see it in person. I was just like any of you... my initial thoughts on the car was best described as "meh...". But after seeing it in person, everything just clicked. It simply looks fantastic. I honestly didn't expect pictures to hide so much from the 370Z.

As far as the "trying to make me feel better about the 350Z", you have to understand that some people will naturally think that way. And I wasn't directing my post to anyone in particular.

Before, the Z never crossed my mind. But the 370Z has changed that
Old 11-29-2008, 01:10 AM
skaterbasist

So? Who cares? Magazine times are always slower than real drivers. Magazines also ran 13.7-14.0 with HR-Zs. There is very little correlation.
Yep. Too bad so many people fail to analyze anything magazines throw at them. It's usually all the 0-60 fanatics that do so.

There is no doubt in my mind that the 370Z should easily be .3-.4 of a second quicker and trap 1.5-2.0 mph over the 350Z (which is significant in a drag run)
Old 11-29-2008, 07:14 AM
Endgame

Hmm, what tires are the 19s wrapped with? Also, doesn't increasing wheel size still have an affect on acceleration?

At the end of the day, I know that the best thing to do is to wait until real drivers do this at a real drag strip, so I'm just speculating for my own entertainment. I have no doubt in my mind this car will hit 12s.
Agreed.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Liquid

Originally Posted by highflyinkilla
These new rims are suppose to be 6lbs. lighter for each.

Just because the new, larger wheels are lighter, doesn't mean that it will be faster. It could be lighter standing stationary on a scale, but its all about dynamics and rotational inertia. I hate to quote Wikipedia, but I also don't feel like digging through my physics, and rigid body dynamics engineering books either. Wikipedia states the same thing:

"The moment of inertia of an object about a given axis describes how difficult it is to change its angular motion about that axis. For example, consider two discs (A and B) of the same mass. Disc A has a larger radius than disc B. Assuming that there is uniform thickness and mass distribution, it requires more effort to accelerate disc A (change its angular velocity) because its mass is distributed further from its axis of rotation: mass that is further out from that axis must, for a given angular velocity, move more quickly than mass closer in. In this case, disc A has a larger moment of inertia than disc B."

Too be honest, if I had a 370z, I would be putting 17's on that car.

Also, the equation for rotational inertia is I = m * r^2, where m = mass, and r = radius. Even if the mass is less than the outgoing wheel, the larger radius of the newer wheel governs the behavior of this equation due to the fact its squared.

Last edited by Liquid; 11-29-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Liquid

I also don't think this car is a let down. I think this car is a stellar performer for the money. People need to understand that different magazines will get different times. This is due to the fact that they will have drivers of different skils available to them at any given time.

Additionally, its important to know where these magazines conduct their tests. Temperature and elevation have a huge impact on 1/4 mile times.

I like the 370z a lot.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:05 AM
scmtkings4

i think i would be happy with the looks of the 350z

with the performance of the 370z

that would be a good compromise for me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 370z (13.5 @ 105 mph) combined times