Notices
VQ37HVR Mods and Support related to the 2009+ VHR engine

Mine's 370z A Work In Progress

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:50 AM
RedSled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stop photoshopping the headlights. 100% of all headlight photoshops I've seen look like complete garbage, including the monstrosities on this thread. The stock headlights are perfect. Even if you aren't happy with them, not much you can do unless you have thousands of dollars to spend to modify the fenders, hood, bumper, etc, and to custom fab up a set of a headlights of your own.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:25 PM
UCIgrad

^^^ Well, the more images/complaints/overlays that are produced, the more likely Nissan might get rid of the wings in a couple years.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:31 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

I must say after seeing it in person the headlights really hooked me...

Short story I have some gray tape at home (duck tape I think)...I was bored yesterday ,and wondered what it would look like on the nismo...doesn't look bad at all...
Old 12-17-2008, 04:12 PM
greekguy824

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UCIgrad
^^^ Well, the more images/complaints/overlays that are produced, the more likely Nissan might get rid of the wings in a couple years.
Why don't people understand that the lights were designed to flow with the curves of the car? Nissan will not be changing anything because messing with the lights makes the car look disgusting.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:48 PM
WShade

Originally Posted by greekguy824
Why don't people understand that the lights were designed to flow with the curves of the car? Nissan will not be changing anything because messing with the lights makes the car look disgusting.

.... and I be GD if my rims ain't too! Add that to your sig
Old 12-17-2008, 05:58 PM
singh

Originally Posted by RedSled
Stop photoshopping the headlights. 100% of all headlight photoshops I've seen look like complete garbage, including the monstrosities on this thread. The stock headlights are perfect...
+2
Old 12-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

Stop photoshopping the headlights. 100% of all headlight photoshops I've seen look like complete garbage, including the monstrosities on this thread. The stock headlights are perfect. Even if you aren't happy with them, not much you can do unless you have thousands of dollars to spend to modify the fenders, hood, bumper, etc, and to custom fab up a set of a headlights of your own.
wrong. imo of course
Originally Posted by gsingh350Z
+2
Old 12-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

digging this headlight chop
Old 12-17-2008, 07:25 PM
RedSled

^ The problem with that chop is it just doesn't flow very well with the rest of the car. It looks like it's squinting at something, or possibly even like someone punched it in the "temple", causing the area by the "eye" to swell. The stock headlights are perfect, and I'm sure they look even better in person.

People that want the headlights changed and think that their opinion on the subject is that important should go apply for a job at Nissan, because you're not going to make them flinch otherwise.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

^ The problem with that chop is it just doesn't flow very well with the rest of the car. It looks like it's squinting at something, or possibly even like someone punched it in the "temple", causing the area by the "eye" to swell. The stock headlights are perfect, and I'm sure they look even better in person.

People that want the headlights changed and think that their opinion on the subject is that important should go apply for a job at Nissan, because you're not going to make them flinch otherwise.
i like the tall, skinny headlights, thats why i liked the front of the cadillac 16 concept:

we're not complaining about the headlights and dont think nissan is stupid,l we're just voicing opinions. i know they made the boomerangs for a reason, all the posts again them are just 'IMHO'
Old 12-17-2008, 09:10 PM
RedSled

Of course. This is all subjective

Personally though I feel nissan did a great job with the headlights, and while those tall skinny headlights look great on that caddy, they just don't flow well with the lines on the 370Z imo.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:56 PM
UCIgrad

Do the boomerang/wing lights come from any sort of previous Z influence? Not to my knowledge. I believe this deviation in design will eventually swing back the other way to normalcy.

Someone mentioned above that the chopped lights don't flow??? And the boomerang lights do?? And what the hell is all this crap about, "You have to see it in person." I'm tired of reading that. Sure, things in person look better sometimes, but the truly great designs look great in the photos as well!

The lights are a design element that most people have had to "get used" to. That's not "rock your socks" design.

One of the things that changed on the 350 in the last model was indeed the lights. Granted, the shape didn't change, but the lights did change so why is it so hard to postulate the lights on the 370 will change in a few years? Nissan always changes the lights at some point in the product lifecycle. (Altima, Maxima, Z, etc.) It's the cheapest way of differentiating the product without introducing a new model.

I'm not hating on the 370, I actually like the car and am somewhat jealous of those who will own it. (I'm getting hitched and buying a house so my 350 and me are going to be buds for a while longer.) Nevertheless, the yellow chop above clearly has better flowing lines than the boomerangs. Boomerangs = not streamlined.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:00 PM
iceman21_23

Do the boomerang/wing lights come from any sort of previous Z influence? Not to my knowledge. I believe this deviation in design will eventually swing back the other way to normalcy.

Someone mentioned above that the chopped lights don't flow??? And the boomerang lights do?? And what the hell is all this crap about, "You have to see it in person." I'm tired of reading that. Sure, things in person look better sometimes, but the truly great designs look great in the photos as well!

The lights are a design element that most people have had to "get used" to. That's not "rock your socks" design.

One of the things that changed on the 350 in the last model was indeed the lights. Granted, the shape didn't change, but the lights did change so why is it so hard to postulate the lights on the 370 will change in a few years? Nissan always changes the lights at some point in the product lifecycle. (Altima, Maxima, Z, etc.) It's the cheapest way of differentiating the product without introducing a new model.

I'm not hating on the 370, I actually like the car and am somewhat jealous of those who will own it. (I'm getting hitched and buying a house so my 350 and me are going to be buds for a while longer.) Nevertheless, the yellow chop above clearly has better flowing lines than the boomerangs. Boomerangs = not streamlined.
have u actually seen the car in person? if not then you really cant comment on how it looks. So im sorry that you can not tell from the pictures that the lights go PERFECT with this car.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:12 PM
UCIgrad

Originally Posted by iceman21_23
have u actually seen the car in person? if not then you really cant comment on how it looks. So im sorry that you can not tell from the pictures that the lights go PERFECT with this car.
Actually, I saw the car at the LA Auto Show. So I can comment on the car according to your rule, ridiculous as it is. People can't comment on the looks of the car until they see it in person? What take photos? I guess the people who still don't like the lights in person are just haters, right? Gimme a break.

Let me reiterate, I'm not hating on the car. The lights will indeed eventually grow on me because I'm a Z fanboy. That doesn't mean that the lights could have been better designed.

Let's ask a question to try and gain some perspective. If the production lights were like those on the yellow chop above, would we all be asking for Nissan to make them look more like boomerangs? Would we say, "Hey Nissan, I think the headlight needs to take a 90 degree turn so it looks like a quasi Nike swoosh." Probably not.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:28 AM
RedSled

Actually, I saw the car at the LA Auto Show. So I can comment on the car according to your rule, ridiculous as it is. People can't comment on the looks of the car until they see it in person? What take photos? I guess the people who still don't like the lights in person are just haters, right? Gimme a break.

Let me reiterate, I'm not hating on the car. The lights will indeed eventually grow on me because I'm a Z fanboy. That doesn't mean that the lights could have been better designed.

Let's ask a question to try and gain some perspective. If the production lights were like those on the yellow chop above, would we all be asking for Nissan to make them look more like boomerangs? Would we say, "Hey Nissan, I think the headlight needs to take a 90 degree turn so it looks like a quasi Nike swoosh." Probably not.
No, we wouldn't be asking them to put boomerang headlights on the Z car because they're unique. No one would have ever thought of that in the first place, which, once again, adds even more uniqueness to the car. And as subjective as this is, your opinion will not be changing Nissan's stance on the headlights. Also IMO (and many others) the headlights look great.

Your other argument was that we've never seen the headlight design used in a previous Z car. This is a ridiculous argument because hey, we've never seen the lines from the Z32 used on a previous Z car, nor the triangular tail-lights on the Z33, right? Look at how they are today, and the Z32 sure wouldn't look out of place on a dealership floor if you were to put one in there right now. The same is going to become of the Z34 whether you like it or not.

Also as I've stated before, those of you who think you can do a better job than Nissan who are so vocal about the so-called headlight issue, feel free to apply for a job with them. I'd love to see you try and best their design, because I guarantee that you won't be able to.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:59 AM
UCIgrad

No, we wouldn't be asking them to put boomerang headlights on the Z car because they're unique. No one would have ever thought of that in the first place, which, once again, adds even more uniqueness to the car.
Uniqueness does not always equate to goodness. Have the lights grown on people? Yes. Will the lights grow on me? Yes. Are the lights what I prefer, not really. I realize that it is my opinion, but I'm not alone. I can guarantee you the lights will change and will refer back to this post in 3-4 years.

Your other argument was that we've never seen the headlight design used in a previous Z car. This is a ridiculous argument because hey, we've never seen the lines from the Z32 used on a previous Z car, nor the triangular tail-lights on the Z33, right? Look at how they are today, and the Z32 sure wouldn't look out of place on a dealership floor if you were to put one in there right now. The same is going to become of the Z34 whether you like it or not.
Well, it wasn't an argument. . .just an observation correlated with the large number of people who say it is a return to the 240.

Also as I've stated before, those of you who think you can do a better job than Nissan who are so vocal about the so-called headlight issue, feel free to apply for a job with them. I'd love to see you try and best their design, because I guarantee that you won't be able to.
This is just silly. So every manufacturer I disagree with I should apply to work there? People can disagree with product designs and hope that manufacturers change designs more to their liking. ESPECIALLY when they have done so in the past.

I'll say it a 4th time, I'm not hating on the car. I actually really like it despite a couple things. The boomerang lights are a design fad Nissan is working through many of its models right now. It won't last and model-generations from now the boomerang lights will be iconic in the sense that they will define a styling fad. . . .a deviation from a proven styling convention, and didn't last.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:47 PM
ENS350z

car looks great just needs a wing.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:11 AM
ttuberz
Banned

^stfu
Old 07-21-2009, 08:41 AM
MyownNismo

I like the one picture with the CE28N's. Those are my favorite volk wheels.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 PM
vthao

Originally Posted by 370Zfanatic
Finally the sweet video of the new Z34 tearing up the Fuji racetrack is here. Video is courtesy of member "Shin" (who is the owner of Zcar-world.net) from *******.net

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3jdLOdHLBPU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3jdLOdHLBPU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Enjoy the video. I know I did

I like how the sun glares through the window and "mines" can be seen on the seats, awesome HAHA! Anyway, that thing is badass.

Quick Reply: Mine's 370z A Work In Progress