Notices
VQ37HVR Mods and Support related to the 2009+ VHR engine

vvel tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:16 PM
welderz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vvel tuning

Will the vvel be able to be tuned. The system is tuned for a balance between economy and performance. Is there any horsepower that can be gained from tuning. Honda tuners adjust vtec but can it be done with the vq37.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

ohhh my loowddd.... You can swap the Vtec for the VVEL and then gain massive amounts of hp that way. Definitely the way to go!
Old 01-21-2009, 01:00 PM
welderz

I was hoping this could be a serious thread but i guess not.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Zero350z

^ dont worry about it, people on here are notorious for the unnecessary flaming
Old 01-21-2009, 01:12 PM
welderz

Do you think it will bring up the price of tuning and aftermarket engine management like utec.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:14 PM
quietkilla6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it will be tunable but i know acouple of vtechs that ruined there heads and cams because of vtech controllers. So ima say it will be possible but probley not a good idea. Although im hearing if you bolt headers back and new intakes you get real good gains that might be due to tuning the vvel?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VVEL is nothing like Honda's VTEC. As far as modifications, I am sure someone will start altering the ECU to begin playing around with the lift and duration to make more power. However, considering the mass of the components, I would be hesitant to raise the rpm in a search of gains. There's a reason BMW doesn't use valvetronic on its M cars, and while the Nissan system is a good bit simpler in design, high rpm use seems sketchy.

Will
Old 01-22-2009, 01:48 AM
quietkilla6

Originally Posted by Resolute
VVEL is nothing like Honda's VTEC. As far as modifications, I am sure someone will start altering the ECU to begin playing around with the lift and duration to make more power. However, considering the mass of the components, I would be hesitant to raise the rpm in a search of gains. There's a reason BMW doesn't use valvetronic on its M cars, and while the Nissan system is a good bit simpler in design, high rpm use seems sketchy.

Will
yea since its in the lifters instead of the cams im thinking theres alot of llittle parts that can give easier than just cams... no? just seem more sensable to just free power than to make it by altering enginering.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:16 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you'll find it's going to take some time for the software to come out for tuning this aspect to be possible.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:32 AM
supergoji

Originally Posted by Resolute

Will
iirc the E46 has Vanos. and i just checked bmwusa and sure enough the E92 M3 V8 uses double vanos. so ya M cars do have that.

mass is an issue with the components. but if you took a look at the video of how they work it should be no problem for VHR engines.

nissans sports cars have engines that are built to rev high.

i just want nissan to build another high revvin inline 6. with the RB technology mixed with the VH engine goodies, and the VQ technology as well.

it would be sick in the head. a 3.2 inlinne 6 twin turbo with a
aluminum block and head
itb's
closed deck
- Forged steel connecting rods.
- 6 Bolt main bearing caps with studs.
- Full-length main bearing girdle.
- Lightweight, floating pistons with molybdenum coating.
- Sodium-filled exhaust valves.
- Cross-flow cooling system.
- Hydraulic lash adjusters.
- Single-row silent timing chain.
- Coil-on-plug ignition system.
- Roller rocker arms for reduced friction.
- Variable Valve Timing.

and some other goodies.

Last edited by supergoji; 01-22-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Vanos is not the same - Vanos is BMW's marketing name for cam timing control. Single Vanos is the intake side, double Vanos is intake and exhaust. It's the same essential type of system that Nissan calls VTC, and Porsche called Vario Cam. It controls the timing of the valve opening and closing independantly of where the crank is. It has nothing to do with the VVEL systems that Nissan now is using, and that Porsche uses (they call it VarioCam Plus). Those systems not only alter the valve timing, they vary the lift as well.

You're not going to see an I-6 from Nissan in the near, or I'd guess even distant, future
Old 01-22-2009, 11:59 AM
in.the.dark

Originally Posted by supergoji
iirc the E46 has Vanos. and i just checked bmwusa and sure enough the E92 M3 V8 uses double vanos. so ya M cars do have that.

mass is an issue with the components. but if you took a look at the video of how they work it should be no problem for VHR engines.

nissans sports cars have engines that are built to rev high.

i just want nissan to build another high revvin inline 6. with the RB technology mixed with the VH engine goodies, and the VQ technology as well.

it would be sick in the head. a 3.2 inlinne 6 twin turbo with a
aluminum block and head
itb's
closed deck
- Forged steel connecting rods.
- 6 Bolt main bearing caps with studs.
- Full-length main bearing girdle.
- Lightweight, floating pistons with molybdenum coating.
- Sodium-filled exhaust valves.
- Cross-flow cooling system.
- Hydraulic lash adjusters.
- Single-row silent timing chain.
- Coil-on-plug ignition system.
- Roller rocker arms for reduced friction.
- Variable Valve Timing.

and some other goodies.
Someone should consider the 335i... I almost bought one, but went with the 370Z instead. It was close, but the 370Z is more my taste than the Teutonic Tourer.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:19 PM
DIGItonium

I think what we're seeing here is VVEL is like BMW's Valvetronic. VVEL varies intake lift and duration. IIRC, it doesn't need a throttle body. It's there for emissions reasons.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:17 AM
morepower2

I wrote in detail about the tuning posibilites of the VHR engine here.

http://www.370z.com/MagazineArticles...e-VQ37VHR.aspx

Its going to be diffcult, FA is limited with a stock bottom end due to the high 11:1 compression and the high ring land on the piston.

Cams and other NA tricks are going to be hard as well. I was at Technosquare the other day and there are a whole bunch of new unknown maps in the ECU. Once the maps the control VVEL and CVTC are found, then some tweeks can be done, perhaps valve springs, a new exhaust cam and tuning tricks to the VVEL system.

On an easy gains note, the 370 has a tiny diameter exhaust, both in the down pipes and after the Y. I think there is a bunch of power to be found there.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

exhaust diameter is indeed small, but space is a sever premium under the car as well - it's not going to be the easiest car to fit large piping to I suspect
Old 01-23-2009, 01:18 PM
morepower2

Its tight but the car has deep frame rails so I think larger tubing can easily be fit there. The downpipes should be 2.25-2.5" and the main pipe 3" for an engine of this size and power. Under the heat shields, its like 1.7 and 2.25" in some places!

Where i agree with you is in the muffler area, tranverse mufflers are lame and there isnt much room for anything else.

Look at here- http://www.370z.com/MagazineArticles...e-VQ37VHR.aspx

lots of room!

Look here as well

http://www.370z.com/MagazineArticles...e-VQ37VHR.aspx

More room than the 350z I think.

When is Z1 coming out with 370z parts?
Old 01-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

yep the rear is what I was referring to. When I looked at the car in the air, it was clear something would have to be done with the rear stabilizer type thing that came off the subframe for any meaningful piping to fit. The rest of the car was easy though
Old 02-06-2009, 04:08 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DIGItonium
I think what we're seeing here is VVEL is like BMW's Valvetronic. VVEL varies intake lift and duration. IIRC, it doesn't need a throttle body. It's there for emissions reasons.
Just one note, the duration changes are proportional to the lift variance. It's a direct byproduct of the increased lift, it doesn't adjust duration independently.

You're right about the throttle bodies, they are there for emission purposes and also as a fail safe for the throttle.

TK
Old 02-08-2009, 07:38 PM
GodSendsDeath

Tunning is gonna be a *****, but the car is very fast in stock form that will get us through it. Well I do not have one, but after the test drive am considering it more and more.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:18 PM
UpRev
Banned

Guys VVEL is your throttle control, not just cam advance etc.

Will it be tuneable? YES. When will it be available in most EMS systems? Who knows.

We've already begun development, so we should have some basic controls on it shortly. The VVEL may mean the end of the aftermarket cam business on Nissan motors, but thats fine, software cams will work just as well.

Quick Reply: vvel tuning