Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:26 AM
NGZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm... "treat them just like the paint on your car". I'm thinking of Zaino-ing my wheels now
Old 08-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by redlude97
Andy, could we get a little clarification on what you posted?
For the 2 piece wheels, are you saying the removable center pieces are anodized and not powdercoated? Then coated with a clearcoat? Is the clearcoat a painted clearcoat or a powdercoated clearcoat?

On the barrels, you also said they were anodized, then clearcoated. Is the clearcoat paint or powdercoat?

It just seems unusual that Volk would use such a process when all other manufacturers clear anodize the lips of their wheels only without a clearcoat.

Do you have a source for your info?
The face on the 2 piece wheels vary and depends on the color. It is either painted and clear coated or powder coated and clear coated. The face is not anodized but has the same clear coat finish as the barrels. The barrels have no paint on them what so ever. A lot of wheel manufacturer's use a completely different process like HRE or iFORGED. I believe their barrels are completely polished if I'm not mistaken. My source comes directly from Mackin Industries and which their sources come directly from RAYS Japan.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:06 PM
07JimmyZ

I wonder if Zoopseal would work on an anodized clearcoat. I know from experience, it works wonders on my old polished wheels. I think it would be a great way to keep these wheels clean. Anybody try this on these wheels?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:13 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by Andy@Performance
The face on the 2 piece wheels vary and depends on the color. It is either painted and clear coated or powder coated and clear coated. The face is not anodized but has the same clear coat finish as the barrels. The barrels have no paint on them what so ever. A lot of wheel manufacturer's use a completely different process like HRE or iFORGED. I believe their barrels are completely polished if I'm not mistaken. My source comes directly from Mackin Industries and which their sources come directly from RAYS Japan.
Thanks for the response Andy, that is what I thought, its just your wording was a little ambiguous.
The finishes of the barrel's on all RAYS 2 piece wheels, I.E; VOLK, Gram Lights, Lexion, G-Games, etc, are all anodized with a finishing clear coat. If you have a matte or flat finish face, don't let this fool you because even the flat colors are clear coated as well. ..... Remember that both the face and the barrel is clear coated.
So when you say clear coated, you are referring to the anodizing correct?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:13 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by 07JimmyZ
I wonder if Zoopseal would work on an anodized clearcoat. I know from experience, it works wonders on my old polished wheels. I think it would be a great way to keep these wheels clean. Anybody try this on these wheels?
No, zoopseal is meant for nonanodized bare aluminum wheels only.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

So when you say clear coated, you are referring to the anodizing correct?
Yup, both the anodized barrel as well as the face; whether it is painted or powdercoated (dependent on color) are clear coated.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:48 PM
07JimmyZ

No, zoopseal is meant for nonanodized bare aluminum wheels only.
Well I still wasn't sure, so I checked. This come straight from the zoops website.
What can I use Zoopseal on?
Aluminum, Raw Aluminum, Brass, Chromed Plating, Stainless Steel, Anodized Aluminum Parts, Stainless Steel in Restaurant Kitchens as long as the area is not in direct contact with food we are not FDA approved, Outside Furniture, Awnings, and Paint.

It still doesn't say anything about clear coating though.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:52 PM
noodleman

Originally Posted by NGZ
Hmmm... "treat them just like the paint on your car". I'm thinking of Zaino-ing my wheels now
i've already tried it, and it wont' stay haha. Probaly cause it heats up so much more than body panels. I've used wheel wax on them to help keep it clean though.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:18 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by 07JimmyZ
Well I still wasn't sure, so I checked. This come straight from the zoops website.
What can I use Zoopseal on?
Aluminum, Raw Aluminum, Brass, Chromed Plating, Stainless Steel, Anodized Aluminum Parts, Stainless Steel in Restaurant Kitchens as long as the area is not in direct contact with food we are not FDA approved, Outside Furniture, Awnings, and Paint.

It still doesn't say anything about clear coating though.
Not sure where that was on there site since I just checked it out. Zoopseal is a ceramic sealer that prevents oxidation of uncoated wheels by seeping into the pores of the metal. Anodizing is a form of oxidation, so applying zoopseal on top of the oxidized layer IMO won't really do anything
Old 08-14-2007, 01:35 PM
redlude97

Yup, both the anodized barrel as well as the face; whether it is painted or powdercoated (dependent on color) are clear coated.
Wait, so here is where your wording confuses me. The barrels are "clearcoated" by an anodizing process, while the faces are "clearcoated" with either paint or powdercoat, correct? So its not the same clearcoat on both surfaces
Old 08-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Wait, so here is where your wording confuses me. The barrels are "clearcoated" by an anodizing process, while the faces are "clearcoated" with either paint or powdercoat, correct? So its not the same clearcoat on both surfaces
Yes! LOL! I can see where you got confused. Sorry about that.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:19 PM
kennyl5123

I have bronze TE37 and looking for touch up paint. Andy, can you get that for me?
Old 08-17-2007, 08:16 AM
sofa king
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thank you andy!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by kennyl5123
I have bronze TE37 and looking for touch up paint. Andy, can you get that for me?
Sorry, no.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by sofa king
thank you andy!
Anytime!
Old 08-18-2007, 01:06 AM
wayneside

great post!
Old 08-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Spec_Tacular

Hey guys Andy had said that Ray's does not list colour codes for their wheels so I figured this my be useful. I have Gunmetal Volk GT-Cs and the gunmetal colour used is the same as Platinum on the Nissan Murano. I got a small chip and just went out with all the different touch up stick and found it match perfectly. The paint code is K36. Hope this helps.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:08 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Great write-up, Andy!

I like to keep the water spots off my CE28N's. I use a leaf blower to blow the water off after I wash them. Then I wipe them down with a coat of Z-6.

If I have some extra time, I'll use wheelwax instead of the Zaino, but it takes a lot longer to put on wheelwax and buff it off.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Jorge Cabrone

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread, as Andy I'm sure you've seen my post. For those who haven't, you can check out the post I made a few weeks ago. Essentially Nissan washed my car without asking and by the time I picked it up, the damage was already done. (Pics included).

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/292424-nissan-s-word-your-volks-could-be-the-cause-of-the-clicking-noise.html

I now have the wheels back from the shop, the spots are gone and from afar the wheels look flawless (I'll post up pics soon). However, because the shop had to buff out the spots, there are now swirl marks on the lips of the wheels. What I also noticed is the lips are more susceptible to scratches. Ie. I swiped my finger on a portion of it and it left a mark even after I tried to wipe it away.

The rims are shiny now but my concern is since they had to buff the wheel the original clear coat is gone and perhaps they just put on some kind of treatment to make it shiny for now but with time, it will go away ..leaving the lips vulnerable to the elements.

Prior to the damages, I used the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser which worked flawlessly. It easily wiped away all the grime and dirt without any pressure. Now, I'm noticing a lot more haze now vs before and they're more difficult to remove. But if anyone has any other ideas as to maintaining these polished wheels such as the Volks, let me know cuz these are not cheap and to order a new set takes months. Mine took 4 long months!!
Old 08-29-2007, 12:40 PM
BabyZiLLa

I think Volk GT-S are the toughest wheels ever to keep nice. The massive lip on the +17, +18 just seems to be so prone to clear scratches etc. Any other GT-S owners care to comment?

Quick Reply: How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!