Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Cracked Forgestar F14..BEWARE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:09 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cracked Forgestar F14..BEWARE!

I just got mine new about 1 year ago and I have cracks on the INNER LIPS on BOTH rear wheels! One has FOUR cracks (and leaks air) and the other has one minor crack. I found out because one of the wheels had a very slow leak..the other one had no leak, but crack was found on inspection. These are simply defective wheels. I have never raced the car or hit anything in the time I have had these. These are JUNK FOLKS! I didn't takes picks, since I still have them on the car, but if you look around the internet, you'll find many stories about these defective wheels. Here's some picks on THREE DIFFERENT cars with F14s with the EXACT SAME crack that I have. My advice>>>stay AWAY from Forgestar wheels! Mine were F14s, but I assume other styles could have the same problem. Here is a TYPICAL complaint..found on Mercedes forum:

http://mbworld.org/forums/5042553-post4.html

"....19" Forgestar F14's. I noticed I was loosing air in the tire the last 3 weeks and I thought for sure I had a nail in the tire, looked for a nail everywhere but could not find it, finally took the wheel off and found 3 cracks evenly spaced apart on the inside edge of the wheel. Don't ask me how or where I managed to do that because I have no clue."

CRACKS ON THREE DIFFERENT CARS WITH F14 ON THE INNER LIPS>>>

Last edited by ronn1; 04-15-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:24 PM
drvqz33

Good to know. I actually had these on the list of possible wheels to get. I guess I'll stick with Volks
Old 04-12-2013, 07:31 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ronn1
One has FOUR cracks (and leaks air) and the other has one minor crack.
Uh oh

A lot of people are rolling on these wheels due to their affordability and aggressive specs, looks are subjective but... 4 cracks on one wheel is

Thanks for informing potential buyers.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:45 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by stogey420time
Uh oh

A lot of people are rolling on these wheels due to their affordability and aggressive specs, looks are subjective but... 4 cracks on one wheel is

Thanks for informing potential buyers.
Yes and one crack in the SAME location on the OTHER rear wheel. So you know it wasn't just a *fluke* or damage.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Ak48z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are still a cast wheel when it boils down, you can also see cases of cracked wheels with just about any other company out there. Out of the thousands of sets sold I only found a handful of cracked ones from a quick search, but at the same time I also read about alot of track guys using them to no ill-effect.

Mine are a couple of years old but no cracks so far (knock on wood lol), about to detail the car so I will inspect again soon. I also don't have the F14 model either though.

Last edited by Ak48z; 04-12-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by Ak48z
They are still a cast wheel when it boils down, you can also see cases of cracked wheels with just about any other company out there. Out of the thousands of sets sold I only found a handful of cracked ones from a quick search, but at the same time I also read about alot of track guys using them to no ill-effect.

Mine are a couple of years old but no cracks so far (knock on wood lol), about to detail the car so I will inspect again soon. I also don't have the F14 model either though.
I have had MANY MANY cast wheels and NEVER had this problem BTW...it seems to be on the REAR wheels of RWD cars! That's where you get the power and direct torque. Here's another from the Cadillac forum on an F14>>>

"Yeah, they only look nice. My rears are defective and cracked all to hell in less than a year. The rims aren't bent at all, so apparently the metallurgy is so bad that they can spontaneously develop cracks on the inside lip without taking any real impact damage. Other rims I've seen hit potholes will bend the crap out of the lip and not crack. These just crack from normal use.

The wheeldude guy isn't responding to my inquiries as to getting new rear wheels at cost to fix the problem, so screw that."
Old 04-12-2013, 08:04 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Ak48z
Out of the thousands of sets sold I only found a handful of cracked ones
^ Makes sense.
Ronn - you avoiding potholes or you running them over like I run over haters ^_^

GL with your wheel situation.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:15 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by stogey420time
^ Makes sense.
Ronn - you avoiding potholes or you running them over like I run over haters ^_^

GL with your wheel situation.
LOL..I've only had these 1 year and never hit a thing! I live in So Cal and drive primarliy in the FWY. Keep in mind, BOTH rears have these cracks..what are the odds? I'ts pretty evident these wheels have more than their fare share of cracks>>>ALL ON THE INNER LIPS!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:34 PM
frivolous_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, in a YEAR of these wheels, in Burbank.. I am from Ventura, you have never hit a pothole? Also, 3 wheels out of how many sold? I bet you searched the whole web to find the other two pictures.. Also, CA freeways have MANY underpasses that run underneath them, thus creating ridiculous bumps. ... .. Not fooling anyone
Old 04-12-2013, 08:56 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by frivolous_
So, in a YEAR of these wheels, in Burbank.. I am from Ventura, you have never hit a pothole? Also, 3 wheels out of how many sold? I bet you searched the whole web to find the other two pictures.. Also, CA freeways have MANY underpasses that run underneath them, thus creating ridiculous bumps. ... .. Not fooling anyone
I have no agenda..take this for what it's worth. Never had a problem like this with any other wheel I have owned ...and I've owned a TON. BTW, these aren't mounted with super low profile tires either...they are 18's with 275/40s.

Last edited by ronn1; 04-12-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Any tire changes in that time? In my experience, if a wheel has 4 cracks all the way around it, it was improperly mounted on a tire machine at some point.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:32 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by Italianjoe1
Any tire changes in that time? In my experience, if a wheel has 4 cracks all the way around it, it was improperly mounted on a tire machine at some point.
NO, the original tires were NEW along with the wheels and the rear (where the cracks appeared) tires were never touched again. I did remount the fronts for a *ROAD FORCE* balance and those have no cracks at all. The exact opposite of what you're saying.

BTW..another *story*>>>

"The good: I was very fortunate to have been one of the first recipients of the Forgestar F14 wheel group buy. As written in my positive review, I praised them for relatively quick delivery of product, and what seemed to be a quality wheel.

The bad: Well, two and a half months and 1,200 miles later, the rear driver's side wheel developed a hairline crack. You can see it in the pictures at the bottom.

There was no trauma to the wheel, no potholes, and good roads in my part of Maryland. The wheel could be sold as brand new - that is how pristine and clean it is. The wheel is round, and has no scars or abrasions that would indicate misuse. But, it leaks air through this crack that has been verified with soapy water and a wheel shop. They stated that it is likely that I could claim the wheel was defective, although it can be difficult, because the wheel shows no signs of damage anywhere, is round, but cracked.

So I called **********s and Forgestar to seek an answer. They initially stated that they could not help because the wheel was damaged through my use. I continued to assert that the wheel was not damaged through my negligence, and that I took it to a shop, and would have it inspected by other shops if necessary, to prove that the wheel was not damaged through the normal signs of misuse such as an out-of-round wheel or with visible damage. Plus, even under normal use, in just over two months and 1,200 miles??? I am now stuck without the use of my car, and had to purchase a new set of wheels because I need to get around, and I am genuinely skeptical about the strength of the wheels."

Last edited by ronn1; 04-12-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh no, this is not good at all.

Granted the streets of SoCal are pretty rough, they shouldn't crack like this under normal use
Old 04-13-2013, 05:03 AM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Did you get a warranty card?

"Forgestar Performance Wheels are backed by a lifetime structural warranty to the original retail purchaser. A limited one year manufacturer's warranty guarantees wheels will be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal and reasonable use."
Old 04-13-2013, 06:00 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No problems w/ my F14s so far...

Hopefully they'll replace them under warranty
Old 04-13-2013, 07:23 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Sorry for your troubles. I'm not a fan of Forgestar wheels as they give a false impression with their name. At least it's just a crack vs failing into pieces like other brands. If you'd like a set of truly forged wheels and not form flow cast I have a great vendor that will make sure you get a quality wheel. He even sell Forgestar. LOL
Old 04-13-2013, 07:54 AM
*ICE*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you drive to their office and complain to see if they will offer to fix or at least help you out in some sort of way? They are located in Socal, Anaheim area. Here's the address:

Forgestar Wheels USA
1161 N. Knollwood Cir.
Anaheim, CA 92801

On their website, they advertise the wheels on many high end cars like Lambo, Ferrari & Bentley. That seem to be misleading to regular customers I think.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:48 AM
ronn1

Originally Posted by AdvanZ33
Did you get a warranty card?

"Forgestar Performance Wheels are backed by a lifetime structural warranty to the original retail purchaser. A limited one year manufacturer's warranty guarantees wheels will be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal and reasonable use."
I purchased the wheels from someone here...so I'm a *Third party*. They were brand new in the box and he decided he didn't want them (sold his car?). I had no paper work..just the new wheels in the original boxes.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:56 AM
ronn1

Originally Posted by Waizzz
Oh no, this is not good at all.

Granted the streets of SoCal are pretty rough, they shouldn't crack like this under normal use
Like I said...I drive well known..well paived streets and mainly FWY. The tires have very adequate side walls to PROTECT the rims with 275/40. There is no evidence of a ding/bend in the area of the cracks. I've NEVER had a cracked wheel like these...TWO cracked wheels to boot. These ARE NOT from hitting potholes.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:09 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Should've bought Vars

Quick Reply: Cracked Forgestar F14..BEWARE!