Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Winter Tire and Wheel Reminder

Old 10-24-2013, 12:12 PM
neal@tirerack
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Winter Tire and Wheel Reminder

It's that time for my yearly winter tire reminder. We have had sticking snow here Indiana this week, Ohio has seen snowfall already, and in the mountains out west it's business as usual.

Popular tires for moderate to low snow climates, that see more plowed roads than highways, tend to be the Bridgestone Blizzak LM60, their new LM-32, and Dunlops Winter Sport 4D. Both are considered very equal to each other in snow traction and in dry road handling/cornering and were the tires of choice in this category. The Bridgestone's move the balance closer to the snow traction side while the Dunlop does slightly better in dry. Both an ideal choice for someone having trouble deciding between the high performance snow tires that sacrifice a lot of snow traction and the Q/R rated snow tires that trade off too much in handling and dry grip.

Persons living in more rural areas or heavy snow climates lean toward the Blizzak WS-70 or Michelin X-Ice Xi3. I've noticed when driving both that the added tread depth of the Blizzak helps deep snow traction on those early unplowed mornings. The X-Ice is a bit happier on ice surfaces and tends to handle a bit tighter on clear roads due to the 2/32nd's difference in depth compared to the Blizzak.

I would not wait too long, it's better to be proactive than reactive. Ordering early when most products are still available lets you choose what you want to buy rather than being forced to settle for what is left over. Best to be ready with products in hand before it snows so that you can put them on when you are ready, rather than waiting for a shipment to arrive after the first snow. We should have most inventory available now to mid November. Tires and wheels purchased together are mounted and balanced at no charge to make changeover easy and we do offer the oem pressure sensors.

You can view full winter tire and wheel packages at our winter upgrade garage.

Remember to mention "Neal ext 624" in the comments section of your online order. This way I can review the order and process it faster. As always you may call me direct also!

Last edited by neal@tirerack; 10-24-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Hi Neal, Thanks for the well-timed reminder and valuable information comparing different snow tires.

I am in Minnesota and purchased a 350z in 2003. After 10 winters I can attest to the fact the 350z can be driven successfully and safely in snow and on ice. As you point out, the only requirement is mounting snow tires (and selecting the type of snow tire best for your climate).

Here are some additional observations:
1) Mount 4 snow tires. You need to stop as well as go. Front snow tires also allow you to safely turn in snow and on ice. You should not mount only 2 snow tires on the drive wheels.

2) The best solution is a dedicated wheel/tire setup. That way you are not swapping tires on a single set of wheels.

3) 17” wheels provide a better selection of tire brands and size for snow tires than available with 18” wheels. Also, it is easier to maintain tire pressures with 17” wheels if you are in cold climates (below freezing).

4) Snow tires on a RWD vehicle perform as good (actually better in my experience) than all-season tires on FWD when driving in snow and on ice.

5) 225mm or less tread width work best for snow tires with the Z if you drive in snow. If your main winter driving is on ice, 245mm is fine, but that size floats in snow and can provide less traction under various winter conditions.

--Spike

Search this Thread