Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Time For New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 05:58 PM
cakes2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

just bought a 350z last fall looking to find out what people are running for tires looking to purchase new ones.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:09 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

Vogue tires are are what all the kids are runnin these days.

Seriously, instead of just joining and asking a question right off the bat how about spending some time and searching some of the threads in this very section and reading a bit. No one tire will meet everyone's needs, nor do we know anything about you/your car/or anything else needed to give you and answer.

And now something to make this thread worthwhile.....

Old 04-01-2015, 02:32 AM
350Z.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL ^^^^^ this guy is right
Old 04-01-2015, 07:00 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

sumitomo htr z ii and FEDERAL ss595
Old 04-01-2015, 07:05 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

bfg sport comp 2

and sr, that snoopy pic just taint right
Old 04-01-2015, 09:28 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
bfg sport comp 2

and sr, that snoopy pic just taint right
Trav how do you like the sport comp 2's? I will probably have to change my KDW2 this year and was thinking about getting them instead. I love the KDW2 as they last forever and have tons of grip. They are just noisy.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:38 AM
travlee
Master

i really liked them (sold the car since then) they were grippy, noticeably wider than the v12's i had in the same size. not too noisy, i would say about average, had a stiffer sidewall than the v12's. another member here put them on his srt8 300 and he really liked them as well
Old 04-03-2015, 11:51 AM
neal@tirerack
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you looking for a summer tire or all season? Any budget in mind? Daily driver or some track/auto-x use in the future?
Old 04-13-2015, 03:37 AM
g3rard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that you should tell whether you need summer or all season tires so that others can give a better suggestion.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:55 PM
Nismo1525

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Time For New Tires

Hey everyone, I am pretty new to the forum and still checking everything out. I was working on the Z last night and noticed that I need new tires pretty bad. Starting to show secondary rubber. Opinions are always changing so I though a new forum about tires would be good.

Basically I want to know what would be an idea tire for my situation. I drive it regularly but I also want to track it and do a lot of canon runs with it. I am looking for something that can handle some miles but still grip the road good. I have the Nismo wheels current tires in front are 245/40R18 Rear are 265/35R19 tires.

Thank you.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:10 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would go with whatever looks the best on tire rack they offer the most comprehensive view. I prefer all season tires because the tread lasts longer. I have General gmax and have had them on the rear for 15k miles and they will go another 10k.

Any summer tire will not last but best bang for your money is Hankook evo 12.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:15 PM
LOL WUT

call tire rack they answer this question everyday
Old 04-19-2015, 04:23 PM
travlee
Master

hellava first post, pretty new or just signed up today new? with what you are doing with the car, i would get a set of "track" wheels and tires and save the others for dailys.... but that is just me

**edit, i see you signed up in march, so like 3 weeks ago.

Last edited by travlee; 04-19-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:50 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

You're getting great advice from what I've seen...I'll add two cents to help ya out as well as this question is near to my heart and I've done tons of research for many months.

Bottom line, after riding on Potenzas, SS595's, Sumitomo HTR II's, Ventus V12, and another set I forget right now, my own advice would be:

Ventus V12 for overall comfort and excellent road handling, and quiet

SS595's - excellent tire, just not as soft a sidewall for comfort factor as the Ventus V12's, but handles fine, has good tread life as well.

Sumitomo HTR ZII's - same as SS595's, not as comfortable as Ventus V12 (nothing is really), but an excellent all around tire, no complaints whatseover. Neal will tell you, and he's right, that the HTR ZIII's (newer model) are a little better, but they're also more money....so choose according to the compromises your budget requires.

Potenzas - superb grip, but wore out faster than I expected.

Nowadays...when I buy my own new set soon...I'm looking at the Ventus V12 Evo2 (newer version of the Ventus V12). I want comfort and excellent handling in dry and wet, but definitely the comfort is a priority with all the bad roads and bumps here where I am. You could also look at the Continental Extreme Contact series, but I think the V12's take the gold.

For best of the best...Pilot Super Sport...but bring your checkbook and a friend's as well.

There are some new revisions of great tires coming out in late April according to TireRack's latest catalog...but obviously no one will know how they stack up for a few months after April.

LOTS of great tires...do your research and you can't go wrong, just don't buy really stiff tires...not a good ride quality in a Z.

Hope this helps,

Saved
Old 04-19-2015, 10:37 PM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cakes2005
just bought a 350z last fall looking to find out what people are running for tires looking to purchase new ones.
Originally Posted by Nismo1525
Hey everyone, I am pretty new to the forum and still checking everything out. I was working on the Z last night and noticed that I need new tires pretty bad. Starting to show secondary rubber. Opinions are always changing so I though a new forum about tires would be good.

Basically I want to know what would be an idea tire for my situation. I drive it regularly but I also want to track it and do a lot of canon runs with it. I am looking for something that can handle some miles but still grip the road good. I have the Nismo wheels current tires in front are 245/40R18 Rear are 265/35R19 tires.

Thank you.

If you don't need all season (which you might both need in Michigan/ Utah), then I have been happy with Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Positions and Toyo T1 Sports. These are mid to high in price, and what I would consider top quality. When I was shopping tires for my Nismo, I think the Pole Positions were pretty much the sweet spot for performance vs. price. Check the extensive reviews on Tirerack.com. Great place to compare. They also carry Toyo now, which has been probably my favorite brand for the last 2 decades, but Tirerack only recently started carrying them - I used to get them special ordered by DiscountTire.

If you are on a tighter budget you might try a set of Federal 595 Evo's. They can be had very cheap from online tires.com Not sure if they are available in the sizes you need. On my Nismo I went with 275/35/19 on the Pole Positions on the rear. They look great and helped fill the wheel gap slightly.

`
Just make sure you phone them to verify stock, as their website does not provide accurate stock info like TireRack.com does.

Last edited by NismoDude; 04-19-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:24 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

OK, overinflated $.02....

Yes, agree with all of the above about defining your intended use first.

If you are looking for a summer tire - on a budget - I have had great success (surprisingly so) on Sumitomo HTR Z3's. It's a Max Performance tire (TR ranking) and it really does hold its own against some of the higher priced tires in the category. Read the reviews on TR site.

I wasn't sure about them having run the previous HTR Z2's on my Z32 - which were not quite up to what I wanted.

My original fear in switching from the Michelin PS2s that were on the car when I got it was that I'd lose the razor sharp turn-in and ultimate grip of the Mushylins. Much to my surprise, they have tactile response as good as the PS2s did. (However, it should be noted that my Michelins were down to the tread bars so it's something of an unfair comparison.) Nonetheless, I would NOT hesitate to buy them again.

They are NOT, however, up to the grade level of the Bridgestone RE-050s I have on my Niz nor the S-01s on my wife's Z34N. NOT in grip, mind you, but in relative comfort as they are now starting to get a little noisy. But they're about HALF the cost.

If you are in an area that requires decent wet performance (and mild snow?), I've heard nothing but good things about the Conti DWS. All of the Volvo R guys swear by them and my having been an older Conti supporter, I have no reason to believe otherwise.

I have a new set of tires coming in (going up in size all the way around on new super light wheels) for my '03 and will report back on those after I break them in. But since I don't drive any of my Z's as much as my dailies, that's likely to be a while.

Cheers,

Mic
Old 04-20-2015, 05:44 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Cakes,
All season Bridgestone Pole Position 970 for my daily driver in the se. About $ 850 at Costco. Not the stickiest tire but good enough, after my Yokohama A008's crapped out at 14K I decided to go for value. But they were quite fun...
GL
Old 04-20-2015, 05:54 PM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

continental extreme dws
Old 04-20-2015, 06:05 PM
SNSH1NE_Z

Hey, I had the same question earlier. I came down to Toyo and Yokohama. I asked my girlfriend's dad who works at an auto place and is over tire sales. He gave me those two tire companies. Through exstensive research, and looking at opinions I went with the Yokohama Avid Envigor. It was raining the very first day I had them put on. My other tires (I wanna say they were Fierce something, really corny though maybe Goodyear), but they would make the traction control come on while it was raining at what would be less than half throttle. It was crazy. Of course they had a good bit of miles, but even when I got the car they were mediocore at best. So the Yoko's were put on and I punched it at a light (no launch, in the rain just to see what it would do) and there was no slip, no fish tailing. It surprised me. In rain they are great. On regular dry roads, they are great. But in snow (on cars that are even able to drive in snow) they suck. But yea, for me Yokohama Avid Envigor!

Last edited by SNSH1NE_Z; 04-21-2015 at 04:06 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:42 AM
Nismo1525

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Down to 2 tires,

Ok everyone I need your input. I am down to two tires. Just need help deciding, either:

BFGOODRICH G-Force Sport Comp- 2

Or

Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position

Quick Reply: Time For New Tires