Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Need help on my wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Zimb0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on my wheels

Hello all the Z lovers, i just got a new set of rims but idk which tires size should i go with if i want them to be stretch. Here my rims spec 18x9 +25 offset Front & 18x10 +20 offset Rear. So can i go 235/40/18 for the front and 245/40/18 for the rear? Is it gonna give me a nice stretch or? Also im gonna lower my car so share with me some info guys if any of you have these kinda set up on your Z...some pictures would be perfect. thankx )
Old 05-03-2015, 10:33 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Sounds like you bought the wrong wheels for your goals.

Btw 245/40-18 is a great front tire.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:46 PM
Zimb0

How is it wrong wheels though? can you give some more details?
Old 05-03-2015, 11:57 PM
silvertouringz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zimb0
How is it wrong wheels though? can you give some more details?
It's not the wrong wheels. Mine are 18x9 +25/18x10 +25 with a 20mm spacer in the front and 2.5mm in the rear to clear the brembos. I'm running 245/40 in the front and 265/35 in the rear. The rear sidewalls look a bit small for my taste. Anyway, the frong 245/40 on a 9 inch has some stretch, but it differs from tire to tire. You definitely need spacers with that offset.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:33 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Well little kids fall for the gay #cambergang #hellaflush #stancenation ******** and dont understand the safety concern of looking stupid. Stretch tires are for poor people who cant afford proper tires and wheels combo....
Old 05-04-2015, 06:34 AM
Zimb0

Originally Posted by silvertouringz
It's not the wrong wheels. Mine are 18x9 +25/18x10 +25 with a 20mm spacer in the front and 2.5mm in the rear to clear the brembos. I'm running 245/40 in the front and 265/35 in the rear. The rear sidewalls look a bit small for my taste. Anyway, the frong 245/40 on a 9 inch has some stretch, but it differs from tire to tire. You definitely need spacers with that offset.
Thanks for your help bro
Old 05-05-2015, 06:31 AM
mVP

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stretch is fairly subjective. 9" is 228.6 mm. Typically from what I've seen for a proper fitting tire, you want +10mm on the wheel width at minimum. Anything equal to the wheel width or less will be stretch in my opinion. It's not my cup of tea, but when I bought my 10" wheels the fronts had 215 on them and rear was 225, it was a ridiculous amount of stretch. I've since swapped them out for 275s. Not sure what your roads are like up in Massachusetts but here in PA they were pretty rough over the winter and I actually scraped the lip of my wheel on the roads where it was grooved, not a fun sound. Just something to think about. I also believe there is a whole forum on here for stretched/stance looks, a little searching and you should be able to find it easily.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:32 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Well little kids fall for the gay #cambergang #hellaflush #stancenation ******** and dont understand the safety concern of looking stupid. Stretch tires are for poor people who cant afford proper tires and wheels combo....
Agree
Old 05-05-2015, 11:50 AM
driftsucky

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Would you guys stop being vaginas about the stretched tires. No grown *** man needs to be worried about a tire exploding...especially when ********* are present. It's a TIRE. Tires go out. Statistically, "proper sized" tires go out about 97.89% more than stretched. So, by your feminine logic, your concern should be more geared towards non-stretched tires. The alternative is to just man up and say you think it looks completely stupid and ridiculous and leave it at that.
Also, stretching tires isn't cheaper because nobody sells stretched tires. It's not a "thing". You're just buying a tire...that..is a tire. As a matter of fact, it often cost more for stretched tires because IF you find a shop to do it, they will charge you more and they will not assume ANY responsibility for any instances. Kinda seems like a pointless thing to do to a car. But, whatevs.
Lastly, offset has nothing to do with tire size. Wheel widths don't change with offset. Wheel placement is affected in relation to the hub and fender.

225 front and 245 rear would offer you a stretch. HOWEVER, based on the widths of your wheels, the only reason you'd NEED a stretch is if you added 1inch spacers to your wheels. Stretched tires purpose is fender clearance when your car is EXTREMELY low and your wheels are wider than what is normally acceptable. For example, I had 18x12 wheels with a -2 offset. My tires were stretched to accommodate my low since my wheels poked from the fender (even with about -7 camber). It allowed me to get the height I wanted without sacrificing clearance. Ultimately, I was still able to get sideways as often as I wanted without having to worry about the tires eating my fenders. It was a good time to be had by all. But, guys running 9inch wheels will never NEED to stretch tires. Even when dumped it's unnecessary. My current setup is MUCH less aggressive and I no longer have my tires stretched. Don't need it.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:34 PM
Zimb0

Originally Posted by driftsucky
Would you guys stop being vaginas about the stretched tires. No grown *** man needs to be worried about a tire exploding...especially when ********* are present. It's a TIRE. Tires go out. Statistically, "proper sized" tires go out about 97.89% more than stretched. So, by your feminine logic, your concern should be more geared towards non-stretched tires. The alternative is to just man up and say you think it looks completely stupid and ridiculous and leave it at that.
Also, stretching tires isn't cheaper because nobody sells stretched tires. It's not a "thing". You're just buying a tire...that..is a tire. As a matter of fact, it often cost more for stretched tires because IF you find a shop to do it, they will charge you more and they will not assume ANY responsibility for any instances. Kinda seems like a pointless thing to do to a car. But, whatevs.
Lastly, offset has nothing to do with tire size. Wheel widths don't change with offset. Wheel placement is affected in relation to the hub and fender.

225 front and 245 rear would offer you a stretch. HOWEVER, based on the widths of your wheels, the only reason you'd NEED a stretch is if you added 1inch spacers to your wheels. Stretched tires purpose is fender clearance when your car is EXTREMELY low and your wheels are wider than what is normally acceptable. For example, I had 18x12 wheels with a -2 offset. My tires were stretched to accommodate my low since my wheels poked from the fender (even with about -7 camber). It allowed me to get the height I wanted without sacrificing clearance. Ultimately, I was still able to get sideways as often as I wanted without having to worry about the tires eating my fenders. It was a good time to be had by all. But, guys running 9inch wheels will never NEED to stretch tires. Even when dumped it's unnecessary. My current setup is MUCH less aggressive and I no longer have my tires stretched. Don't need it.
I end up didnt stretch my tires...for the front i got 255/35 and 275/35 for the rear

Old 05-05-2015, 04:35 PM
Zimb0

What do you guys think? Nice or nah?
Old 05-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Is there a reason you went with 35 series instead of 40?

40 series is closer to spec and would have less fender gap.
What do you guys think? Nice or nah?
Old 05-05-2015, 07:44 PM
Zimb0

Originally Posted by Spike100
Is there a reason you went with 35 series instead of 40?

40 series is closer to spec and would have less fender gap.
Oh i went 35 cuzzz the tire is thin and i can lower my Z lil bit more
Old 05-05-2015, 10:04 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Oh i went 35 cuzzz the tire is thin and i can lower my Z lil bit more
Lowering doesn't make the tire look like it fits the wheel well. Btw you can almost put the car on the ground with properly sized tires. 275/35-18 does make a great front tire though.

I do think you need spacers, as mentioned, you bought the wrong width wheels with the wrong offset for the look you were wanting to pull off.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:37 PM
Zimb0

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Lowering doesn't make the tire look like it fits the wheel well. Btw you can almost put the car on the ground with properly sized tires. 275/35-18 does make a great front tire though.

I do think you need spacers, as mentioned, you bought the wrong width wheels with the wrong offset for the look you were wanting to pull off.
Yeah i do need spacers to make it flush to the fenders, maybe 10mm-15mm will do it
Old 05-06-2015, 07:14 AM
mVP

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run 275/35/18 on all fours with 18x10 that I believe are +25. Either way I think you made the right choice for both performance and looks. My bet is a few years from now stance will be out of style and we'll be looking back going "wtf were we thinking!?!"... Same thing happened with under glow...
Old 05-06-2015, 07:58 AM
driftsucky

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Car looks good. Get your height established before you add spacers. Things will change once you adjust your low.