Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

wheels: I don't get it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 11:53 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wheels: I don't get it.

This is not intended to flame any/all for their after market wheels but I don't get it: Why do so many folks change wheels?

I have never seen anyone claim better performance, longer life, etc. for new wheels.

Is it just to look different? Actually, I've yet to see a set of wheels I thought looked better than the stock wheels......different, yes.....better, no.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:06 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's a generational thing. I'm right in the middle of the wheel craze (I like new rims, but am not going to spend an exorbitant amount of money on them.... now wheels for a "deal?" Let's talk... ) ... and those that are younger than me tend to be more fanatical about new shoes.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:11 PM
RedShft

do you really have to ask this??

wheter or not the wheels look better than stock is personal preference. honestly, i think the stock wheels, except the track models, arent all that spectacular. why people change them out is for many different reasons. main reason being it gives the car a more aggresive appearance. others do it to personalize their car. another reason is performance....high end wheels like Volk, Fikse, IForged, Rays, etc...are forged wheels which results in a stronger wheel and most of the time more light weight. they reduce unsprung weight and allow the car to use less hp to turn the drive wheels. another performance aspect comes from the option of a wider wheel that allows for a wider tire. this provides a better contact patch which in turns creates better handling and traction for high hp cars. so yes, depending on the type of wheel, it can provide better performance.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:22 PM
Dissident

Wider tires. Wider tires on a lighter wheel definately gives you better performance. That's my reason, anyway.

Now, there's also looks and status: I think the stock wheels are ok, and probably would've kept them if they were wider, but... A nice wheel with a big fat lip on the back looks great, IMO....
Old 02-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Jason Bourne

And some people (admittedly a minority) want an extra set for race rubber (like me) or winter tires. I got a set of track model wheels for my enthusiast 350Z to mount my hoosiers for the track season. There are a lot of people getting Enkei or other affordable wheels to use for race rubber.

Jason
Old 02-10-2004, 02:17 PM
jimster716

Form Follows Function.

I want the widest tires possible for maximum traction on the track. I find beauty in that function...of seeing a fat set of rubber right at the edges of the fenders. The stock wheels won't accomodate those tires. My stock 17's, IMO, were butt ugly (the finish looks like fake plastic kind of like wheel covers) and they weigh a ton. I hate sporting these as I wait for new tires on my new 18's (sold the 19" TE37's). The stock 17s w/tires are so far in to the fender it's like I'm rolling with 4 spares. I even went as far as to paint my stock 17's to a graphite color...though oddly I get complimented on the "brake-dust look" paint...go figure.

You have yet to see a set of wheels that look better than the stock wheels? hmmm...I sort of like the track rays wheels but they're too thin and I'm not that sure on the outward curvature of the spokes. All the other wheels look generic...wheels I wouldn't even consider if they were aftermarket. Alas, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:55 PM
2003z

I got
Pontiac wheels for the drag slicks
enkei's for lightweight autocross wheels
stock performance rims for to/from and on track drvining
and Iforged for the bling!
Old 02-10-2004, 04:32 PM
zeroday

some people just don't have an eye for the details. my father for instance; with every mod i do to my car, he says 'looks the same to me" I've always had an eye for detail and IMO the right wheels on the Z makes a HUGE difference. Especially when someone's comng from the stock 17's...ugh....
Old 02-10-2004, 05:23 PM
D'oh

I went with the least expensive, lightest weight, stock size wheels I could find for AutoX (Enkei RPO2-J).

I've seen some aftermarket wheels that look great on the Z, but I've seen others that are quite lame (IMO). I personally wouldn't buy ones for street driving, but I can understand why many people would want to. It's a great way to personalize the looks of your car and get added performance (lighter weight, wider tires).

Personally, I think the Track wheels are very nice, but the others are "meh". My biggest problem with them is that they weight a ton.

-D'oh!
Old 02-10-2004, 06:59 PM
JAG

Default Re: wheels: I don't get it.

Originally posted by The Brickyard Rat
This is not intended to flame any/all for their after market wheels but I don't get it: Why do so many folks change wheels?

I have never seen anyone claim better performance, longer life, etc. for new wheels.

Is it just to look different? Actually, I've yet to see a set of wheels I thought looked better than the stock wheels......different, yes.....better, no.
Our primary reason was looks.
We did not, at all , like any of the stock wheels.
Everyone has their own tastes and preferences, and the stock wheels did not meet our taste.

We also wanted much wider (especially for rear) appearance... thus we have 275s on the back.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:10 PM
Bassmaster

I just went from stock track Rays to 19"LE37T +22, the difference in apperance is startling. The dealer (yes I had Nissan do it) who swapped out my TPS broke one, so I'm running with one Ray in the rear untill the replacement arrives. The stock wheel just looks punny and weak compared to the other three. Was it worth the money? Well.....is a big screen TV worth it, or a snowmobile? or a riding lawnmower?....you get the idea.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:49 PM
___DJK___

You dont get a lot of people telling you your Z is the nicest one they have ever seen while sitting on the stockers either.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:19 AM
JAG

Originally posted by ___DJK___
You dont get a lot of people telling you your Z is the nicest one they have ever seen while sitting on the stockers either.
Exactly
Old 02-11-2004, 09:49 AM
lowrider

I did it for looks and handling. I'm very pleased with the appearance of my Nismos on my "G" (size, offset and etc). The lightness of the wheels coupled with the wider tires they use, has made an imense difference in the handling of my 6MT Coupe.

But, if you have to ask. You are not a candidate for a change.

Lou

Lou
Old 02-11-2004, 12:03 PM
monkey7

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its one of the fastest ways to change the appearance of the car from looking stock. It has advantages from performance, handling, looks. Also it depends on what rubber you choose that can determine how you put the power down to the pavement.

It is your choice, your car, there are endless possibilities.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:43 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: wheels: I don't get it.

Why by a 350Z at all, just to look different? You cant really use the performance on the street since you will get a ticket. A sentra will go as many miles and carry more people and it cost less.

A 350Z is a sports car. Logic and sports car do not always equal each other. The Z is based on looks and performance thus the wheel and tire upgrades are for the same reasons. If those things are not important to you then you might also consider you might have purchased the wrong car all together.

I felt the stock wheels and tires did not do the design of the car justice. The stock Z holds about .88 lat. g's and my set up was tested as holding .94 lat g's. Add improved looks and you got my reasons for spending the extra money on wheels and tires.

Jeff
Old 02-11-2004, 02:09 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Hey, Zland, lighten up on me; I'm a subscriber!! LOL!
Old 02-11-2004, 08:06 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey, Zland, lighten up on me; I'm a subscriber!! LOL!
I didnt mean to come accross so hard. I apoligize if it appeared that way.

Jeff
Old 02-12-2004, 08:58 AM
cybercath

For me, I wanted wider rims and tires. I also like the personal look that it gives my car.
Attached Thumbnails wheels: I don't get it.-angle-with-hood-closed.jpg  
Old 02-12-2004, 10:19 AM
Jsn350Z

I had 19 inch TE37's on my last Z with S03's, 275. The difference in grip was amazing.. So there is your performance.

The looks.. IMO the stock 17's are UGLY, DAMN ugly.. I can not wait to get rid of them for my current Z. Either anouther set of TE37's or LE3t's are in store for it. Both in a silver finish.

IMO the stock wheels/tires are the absolute worst part about the Z.

Quick Reply: wheels: I don't get it.