Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

350z Roadster stance help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 11:42 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

As it's been stated throughout this thread, the "logical" way to "stance" - using your existing wheels, as stated you wish for - is by using spacers. While I'm NOT a fan of same due to the likely change in handling feel (due to "artificial" change in scrub radius), here's how to do this.

- Start by measuring the distance from the most outboard point of your tires to the fender lip (if you really want that "hella flush" look, you'll start by rolling the fenders all the way up and THEN measuring.)

- Next, you need to KNOW (or determine) the offset of your existing wheels. If you don't know this, remove the wheel and look for size markings on the back of the wheel or measure the offset if no markings exist.

- Plug the numbers into the tire width calculator (found under "Tools" on every forum page) and play with the variables (subtracting spacer sizes) until you're close to how much you want them to stick out, leaving adequate space from tire to fender lip to allow for fender clearance.

- Purchase spacers in that size, install, and voila, you're done.

Yes, this is something of an oversimplification but that's pretty much the procedure.

Personally, though, I'd get the correct wheel/tire sizes for what you want the car to look like. This gives you the look and minimal amount of scrub radius change because you've compensated for scrub by changing the actual footprint/width, hence, altered the centerline of the tire and wheel vis a vis the steering axis line.

NOTE: Lowering the car will change all of this so lower it first if that's your desire. This will likely add steps to this by your needing to add camber adjustment (front UCAs, camber arms out back.) You do NOT need coilovers for stance-only (actual performance enhancement be dammed.). Lowering springs will take care of this unless you're going for the "road-UFO" look, scraping as you go - in which case, you'll just turn down the springs to the right height with C/O's.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:46 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Look at mic go, spittin that knowledge.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:53 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Look at mic go, spittin that knowledge.

Laff....

Mistuh Sparco, you know it's not about spittin' no wads of nahlejj.

It's about helping OP understand that achieving the look he wants isn't just about "slam it and make it fat". It's about doing it right the first time around, and preserving his tire/wheel investment as well as keeping the car reasonably safe and DRIVEABLE - facts so often overlooked for the sake of aesthetics and image.

I'm just Mistuh Boring to most I'd guess - a fact I can live with; but I want (and have) the confidence in my cars when I hit that apex, looks be dammed. Hahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa....
Old 07-03-2015, 12:14 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

@ OP
What i did? Enkei rpf1, 18s all around.
9.5 fr, 10.5 + 15 all.

Bridgestone 760s
265/35 fr
295/35 rr
bc daily driver. And not race car.

Since you've got new tires and wheels, drive those. Get spacers or not. ( they need to be put on with a torque wrench to be safe. 90 foot pounds)

@ MicBr0, I will be Ed if you'll be Jonny haha.
@ Sparco, Hope you enjoy a good, safe holiday!
jc
Old 07-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Chris06Roadster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MicVelo
As it's been stated throughout this thread, the "logical" way to "stance" - using your existing wheels, as stated you wish for - is by using spacers. While I'm NOT a fan of same due to the likely change in handling feel (due to "artificial" change in scrub radius), here's how to do this.

- Start by measuring the distance from the most outboard point of your tires to the fender lip (if you really want that "hella flush" look, you'll start by rolling the fenders all the way up and THEN measuring.)

- Next, you need to KNOW (or determine) the offset of your existing wheels. If you don't know this, remove the wheel and look for size markings on the back of the wheel or measure the offset if no markings exist.

- Plug the numbers into the tire width calculator (found under "Tools" on every forum page) and play with the variables (subtracting spacer sizes) until you're close to how much you want them to stick out, leaving adequate space from tire to fender lip to allow for fender clearance.

- Purchase spacers in that size, install, and voila, you're done.

Yes, this is something of an oversimplification but that's pretty much the procedure.

Personally, though, I'd get the correct wheel/tire sizes for what you want the car to look like. This gives you the look and minimal amount of scrub radius change because you've compensated for scrub by changing the actual footprint/width, hence, altered the centerline of the tire and wheel vis a vis the steering axis line.

NOTE: Lowering the car will change all of this so lower it first if that's your desire. This will likely add steps to this by your needing to add camber adjustment (front UCAs, camber arms out back.) You do NOT need coilovers for stance-only (actual performance enhancement be dammed.). Lowering springs will take care of this unless you're going for the "road-UFO" look, scraping as you go - in which case, you'll just turn down the springs to the right height with C/O's.
I really appreciate it! I think I'm gonna go that route and get Eibach springs I just want it to look aggressive should I get them from EBay or does anyone have a good used pair? I've gotten to checking this forum regularly I love this website lol
Old 07-03-2015, 03:38 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by jhc
@ OP
What i did? Enkei rpf1, 18s all around.
9.5 fr, 10.5 + 15 all.

Bridgestone 760s
265/35 fr
295/35 rr
bc daily driver. And not race car.

Since you've got new tires and wheels, drive those. Get spacers or not. ( they need to be put on with a torque wrench to be safe. 90 foot pounds)

@ MicBr0, I will be Ed if you'll be Jonny haha.
@ Sparco, Hope you enjoy a good, safe holiday!
jc
Nahhhhh, you can be Geoff Peterson to my Craig Ferguson.

Or, if you learn to cuss more, Sid The Cussing Rabbit.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:44 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Nahhhhh, you can be Geoff Peterson to my Craig Ferguson.

Or, if you learn to cuss more, Sid The Cussing Rabbit.

Haha
I will miss Craig Ferguson, very funny!
Hope you have a happy, safe 4th.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:45 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Chris06Roadster
I really appreciate it! I think I'm gonna go that route and get Eibach springs I just want it to look aggressive should I get them from EBay or does anyone have a good used pair? I've gotten to checking this forum regularly I love this website lol
Appreciate the vendors on this site. I've not had a bad experience with the 4-5 I've used. (THM'sports, ConceptZ, ZSpeed, TahrRack...???)

If you truly want low on Eibach, go Sportline....wayyyy lower than ProKit.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:58 PM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris06Roadster
I bought mine as a kit with stabilizer bars.. you need those if you haven't upgraded yet.

Bought mine at Autoanything for 481.21 in July of 2012 for reference
Old 07-06-2015, 06:03 AM
TamanLinkin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 350zchad
Don't have any of the azz direct on

wow. the stock wheels actually looks good when flushed. but im not a spacer guys tho. nicely done
Old 07-06-2015, 03:48 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Those wheels are not worth saving, sell them and go with something else

Do yourself a favor and not write "stancing" anymore, that is not a word. You can have an aggressive fitting wheel and there are plenty of threads about how to do that
Old 07-06-2015, 03:49 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For instance

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...s-welcome.html
Old 07-06-2015, 06:43 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Hate you, ShineyA $$ Chad
; )
Old 07-07-2015, 08:59 AM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I aspire for the hate!
Old 07-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Chris06Roadster

Originally Posted by Waiz
Those wheels are not worth saving, sell them and go with something else

Do yourself a favor and not write "stancing" anymore, that is not a word. You can have an aggressive fitting wheel and there are plenty of threads about how to do that
Will do but I really like my rims tho... I wanna do what chad did. 25 MM spacers with sport line eibach kir
Old 07-08-2015, 03:11 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Make sure you torque those spacers to 90 foot pounds.

With a torque wrench.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:55 AM
driftsucky

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey OP. Do this or GTFOAGDIAFODDAOTTOJFADS (ge the fudge out and die in a fire or don't do any of those things and just find a different setup)

Old 07-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Chris06Roadster

Originally Posted by driftsucky
Hey OP. Do this or GTFOAGDIAFODDAOTTOJFADS (ge the fudge out and die in a fire or don't do any of those things and just find a different setup)

Oh that's sexy... I was thinking of just putting Eibach Kit tho
Old 07-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Underscore_Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn those OZT's look sexy!
Old 07-15-2015, 08:27 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

That's a good looking roady!

Originally Posted by 350zchad
Don't have any of the azz direct on