Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

cant mount tires on te37

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 06:25 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

The wheel in question are the te37SL double pressed black. No center cap.

The shop did say something about reversed mount. But i am puzzle as to why they didnt do so. Can anyone explain in detail the dofference between reversed mount and normal mounting?

The reason i picked this shop was because they did a fantastic job on my 57fxx and their tire tech seems to know what he was doing.

The second choice inhave is discount tires, yea big chains :/ any suggestions as to what kind of question i should ask discount tires to see if theyre able to properly do the job?
Old 08-06-2015, 06:31 AM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

I clearly explained reverse mounting a couple post back. Those look face up but we need to see the outside barrel
Old 08-06-2015, 06:33 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
I clearly explained reverse mounting a couple post back. Those look face up but we need to see the outside barrel
Ill take pic of the barrels today. All you said was that the face of the wheel is down. I mean like how does it make a difference, would that mean the inner lip gets damage instead?
Old 08-06-2015, 06:40 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by turboed350z

The wheel in question are the te37SL double pressed black. No center cap.

The shop did say something about reversed mount. But i am puzzle as to why they didnt do so. Can anyone explain in detail the dofference between reversed mount and normal mounting?

The reason i picked this shop was because they did a fantastic job on my 57fxx and their tire tech seems to know what he was doing.

The second choice inhave is discount tires, yea big chains :/ any suggestions as to what kind of question i should ask discount tires to see if theyre able to properly do the job?
Ask them the make and model of the machine they use and if it is "touchless." Then do some research on that model. "Rimclamp" is the style of machine that locks your wheel in around the outside using 4 clamps and is what most shops have. While damage can be avoided with this style, it's much much more likely if the tech isn't extremely careful. I didn't want to risk it going with a rimclamp machine, so I found a true touchless machine and mine came out perfect.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:42 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by Phenom
Ask them the make and model of the machine they use and if it is "touchless." Then do some research on that model. "Rimclamp" is the style of machine that locks your wheel in around the outside using 4 clamps and is what most shops have. While damage can be avoided with this style, it's much much more likely if the tech isn't extremely careful. I didn't want to risk it going with a rimclamp machine, so I found a true touchless machine and mine came out perfect.
And now im worried haha, i live in a small town so my options are limited. We dont exactly have fancy equipments. Haha so touchless is what i want to aim for?
Old 08-06-2015, 06:54 AM
HRMoneyPit

If it's reverse is clearly the face is being grabbed by the clamps. It's it's face up the machine arms could come in contact with the face. Either way it can be damaged
Old 08-06-2015, 07:00 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
If it's reverse is clearly the face is being grabbed by the clamps. It's it's face up the machine arms could come in contact with the face. Either way it can be damaged
Ok thats for that explanation, so basically, reverse has less chance of damaging the wheel? What about the "touchless" machines? Are the chances of damaging wheels reduce exponentially?
Old 08-06-2015, 07:04 AM
HRMoneyPit

I've never worked with or saw said machine so i can not help there

but either way the wheel can be damaged, face down or up. I personally like face up so i don't risk clamps scratching the wheel. But you don't get to pick, it's the design of the wheel. When its face up its easier to not hit anything, for me at least
Old 08-06-2015, 07:43 AM
Phenom
Toasty

And now im worried haha, i live in a small town so my options are limited. We dont exactly have fancy equipments. Haha so touchless is what i want to aim for?
Yeah definitely look for touchless if you can find it. It's worth a little bit of a drive if there's nothing in the immediate area. Like I said I passed several tire places and went to one about 25 miles away.

Ok thats for that explanation, so basically, reverse has less chance of damaging the wheel? What about the "touchless" machines? Are the chances of damaging wheels reduce exponentially?
There are three basic hazards when mounting using a rimclamp style. One is the clamps themselves, which fix the wheel in place, leaving bite marks on the wheels. The second is the technician actually mounting the tire. They use a prybar to pull the tire over the wheel edge using leverage. If they aren't careful, the prybar can slip and leave a nice dent or scratch. The third is the guide which when placed properly, sits just above the wheel as it spins and guides the tire onto the wheel. If the guide is set too low, it can contact the wheel while it spins and scratch it up.

The first hazard affects whichever side of the wheel is facing down when mounting. So a reverse mount wheel would have to worry about this, and it ultimately is a function of how if the machine is properly set up (plastic or rubber protective caps over the metal clamps). The second and third hazards affect whichever side of the wheel is facing up during mounting, so a standard mount wheel would worry about these, and it mostly a function of technician error. Either way, your wheel is prone to damage whether it is a reverse mount or not. Touchless tire mounting eliminates all 3 of these hazards. You basically have to try to mess up a wheel using a touchless machine.

Last edited by Phenom; 08-06-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:51 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by Phenom
Yeah definitely look for touchless if you can find it. It's worth a little bit of a drive if there's nothing in the immediate area. Like I said I passed several tire places and went to one about 25 miles away.

There are three basic hazards when mounting using a rimclamp style. One is the clamps themselves, which fix the wheel in place, leaving bite marks on the wheels. The second is the technician actually mounting the tire. They use a prybar to pull the tire over the wheel edge using leverage. If they aren't careful, the prybar can slip and leave a nice dent or scratch. The third is the guide which when placed properly, sits just above the wheel as it spins and guides the tire onto the wheel. If the guide is set too low, it can contact the wheel while it spins and scratch it up.

The first hazard affects whichever side of the wheel is facing down when mounting. So a reverse mount wheel would have to worry about this, and it ultimately is a function of how if the machine is properly set up (plastic or rubber protective caps over the metal clamps). The second and third hazards affect whichever side of the wheel is facing up during mounting, so a standard mount wheel would worry about these, and it mostly a function of technician error. Either way, your wheel is prone to damage whether it is a reverse mount or not. Touchless tire mounting eliminates all 3 of these hazards. You basically have to try to mess up a wheel using a touchless machine.
Thats for the explanation, so badically touchless is the best, but if i cant get it, i should go with reversed mount?

From my understanding, with reverse mount, the damages will be on the inner lip correct?
Old 08-06-2015, 09:05 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Reverse mount is just the method of installing and is dependent on the actual wheel, not a type of machine. I'm pretty sure your tires will have to be installed with a reverse mount with those wheels, in which case any damage from a rim clamp machine would be on the outer edge of the lip. Imagine resting your wheel face down and having 4 clamps approach it horizontally. Whatever they contact first (ie the outer most surface) would be where the potential damage could occur.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:21 AM
driftsucky

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Here's some visual aid.
The machine with the teeth (covered in plastic)

Regular mount

Reverse mount

If you have scratches on your rim, it's due to user error. I don't even wanna call it "technician". I've mounted rotas, ssr's, works, volks, rays (volks), Watanabes, Option5's, Rotiforms, and a slew of stock wheels with no issue. And I'm not even a mechanic. Sizes ranged from 15 up to 22. I've never scratched someone ELSES wheel. I've scratched a barrel or two on my own, but never anyone elses (i'm not a big wheel elitist so I never care about scratches folks can't eyeball). But, hope that helps.

Realistically, you're not gonna find a touchless mounting machine within a reasonable distance. Those things are RIDICULOUSLY expensive and can usually only be found at BOOMING performance shops or high-end dealers (like Maserati/Ferrari/etc). And even then, it's typically in larger cities. If you're willing to drive HOURS to find one, kudos to you. Seems like a lot to go through for something that is essentially a wear item. But, whatevs.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:31 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by driftsucky
Here's some visual aid.
The machine with the teeth (covered in plastic)

Regular mount

Reverse mount

If you have scratches on your rim, it's due to user error. I don't even wanna call it "technician". I've mounted rotas, ssr's, works, volks, rays (volks), Watanabes, Option5's, Rotiforms, and a slew of stock wheels with no issue. And I'm not even a mechanic. Sizes ranged from 15 up to 22. I've never scratched someone ELSES wheel. I've scratched a barrel or two on my own, but never anyone elses (i'm not a big wheel elitist so I never care about scratches folks can't eyeball). But, hope that helps.

Realistically, you're not gonna find a touchless mounting machine within a reasonable distance. Those things are RIDICULOUSLY expensive and can usually only be found at BOOMING performance shops or high-end dealers (like Maserati/Ferrari/etc). And even then, it's typically in larger cities. If you're willing to drive HOURS to find one, kudos to you. Seems like a lot to go through for something that is essentially a wear item. But, whatevs.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Extremely informative post. That helped alot. Base on your experience, does the mark seems on par with a "tech" attempting to reverse mount? Or does it look like they try to mount it normally? To me, it appears that there was a slight slip causing the damage. But then again, ive never had hands on mounting experience

But from the grove, it looks lit it got dug in at an angle. Insteadof a "bite" that a clamp would produce
Old 08-06-2015, 09:58 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

T'bo, sorry to hear about your misfortune. All the responses here are pretty much correct but driftsucky's post is, I agree, the most informative.

Contemporary tire machines are pretty foolproof - in the right hands. Key phrase, that. Couple years ago, when I was moonlighting as service manager for a parts/tire store, I had techs who shouldn't be allowed near a ratchet wrench, let alone something so potentially damaging as a Coats tire machine.

But conversely, had a couple of go-to guys who I always assigned to do "custom/aftermarket" tire installs. These were the guys who did all of MY installs. That tell you anything? Heh heh...

Point is, when you go to a shop, watch the workers if you can BEFORE you commit to having work done. You can easily see the ones who take the extra time and care to do it right with nary a scuff or scratch regardless of the machine they're using. Request them to be assigned to your job, even if that means waiting for him/her. (Or make an appt and come back.)

But keep in mind, legit mistakes can be made no matter how good the tech or machine.

In this case, I'd just be satisfied that their insurance will cover your new REPLACEMENT wheel and go about your biz once received and properly installed.

Mic
Old 08-06-2015, 10:24 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by MicVelo
T'bo, sorry to hear about your misfortune. All the responses here are pretty much correct but driftsucky's post is, I agree, the most informative.

Contemporary tire machines are pretty foolproof - in the right hands. Key phrase, that. Couple years ago, when I was moonlighting as service manager for a parts/tire store, I had techs who shouldn't be allowed near a ratchet wrench, let alone something so potentially damaging as a Coats tire machine.

But conversely, had a couple of go-to guys who I always assigned to do "custom/aftermarket" tire installs. These were the guys who did all of MY installs. That tell you anything? Heh heh...

Point is, when you go to a shop, watch the workers if you can BEFORE you commit to having work done. You can easily see the ones who take the extra time and care to do it right with nary a scuff or scratch regardless of the machine they're using. Request them to be assigned to your job, even if that means waiting for him/her. (Or make an appt and come back.)

But keep in mind, legit mistakes can be made no matter how good the tech or machine.

In this case, I'd just be satisfied that their insurance will cover your new REPLACEMENT wheel and go about your biz once received and properly installed.

Mic

Yea its a shame it happened, cant say im not mad, but im not too mad either. So far the shop has been on top of things. Now its up to the insurance company. I understand mistakes happened, i just didnt believe the whole, "we cant mount it. The wheels are too soft".

Hopefully the insurance hurries so i can replace the wheel and move on
Old 08-06-2015, 10:28 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

every time i hear reverse mount, tires are not what i think of......
Old 08-06-2015, 10:30 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
every time i hear reverse mount, tires are not what i think of......
Praytell, Trav, WHAT exactly were you thinking of? I don't understand.

Oink oink.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:35 AM
RUNWDVL

Received 236 Likes on 135 Posts

Rodeo?
Old 08-06-2015, 10:19 PM
XM 1

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

to clarify here is the proof that those rims are reverse rims

http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/products...n&wheel=TE37SL

・Method:Forged 1pc. Wheel (19inch Reverse Rim)

it's on the right side underneath the pic/gallery of the wheel itself.
guess it has something to do how does wheels get forged??!?
Old 08-06-2015, 10:22 PM
XM 1

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

this should prop. also give you an idea why the rims are what they are....the forge them from the front of the rim to the back...not sure if that gives the rims a more rigid structure?????

Quick Reply: cant mount tires on te37