Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Source for RAYS decals for rims? Custom decals?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 01:24 AM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Source for RAYS decals for rims? Custom decals?

Hey everyone,

Looking to pick up four or eight of those older "RAYS" decals that are typically on LMGT4 rims....anyone know a vendor or a person who might have some left over? I'm not making much progress with my own brain skills.

Anyone know a good vendor for printing custom decals? I was thinking I could also make my own...but I do like those RAYS ones....but...if I can't get a hold the RAYS, who prints high quality non-fading decals at a reasonable price? I can design my own no problem in Illustrator or Photoshop.

Thanks as always,

Saved
Old 08-09-2015, 06:24 PM
Zeeblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd also be interested!
Old 08-09-2015, 06:48 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-VOLK-RAYS-TE37-Racing-Wheels-Alloys-DECAL-Sticker-Premium-Quality-Blue-/221845424315?hash=item33a70488bb&vxp=mtr
Old 08-09-2015, 07:03 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

The stickers on my LMGT4s are "NISMO", not "RAYS".
Old 08-09-2015, 09:17 PM
savedbygrace

Man grab a cape and stand proud you superhero you

Now....I learned something here and don't slap me...the ones I've seen and love are outlined in red, not blue, ever see a set of those anywhere?

Watching that auction though....five sets available so it's a maybe...but what I really need is black letters with a red outline.

Yes...I'm a high maintenance nerd-friend when it comes to my ride.

Saved
Old 08-09-2015, 09:20 PM
savedbygrace

Originally Posted by dcains
The stickers on my LMGT4s are "NISMO", not "RAYS".
Yeah that's the norm, but I've seen a set online here that had both...they have Nismo on one spoke and then "Rays" kinda opposite the "gismo" spoke. Looks good...you can also see the same effect on Rota's....lots of guys put two different stickers on two different spokes immediately opposite each other since Rotas have six spokes and not just five like the LMGT4's.

Randomness in 3 ... 2.... 1.....

If you ever see a pair of 19" LMGT4's rears with the "deep dish lip" please yell....I really want to run 19"s in the rear and 18"'s in the front. The deep dish isn't all that deep...but it still looks really good.

Saved
Old 08-09-2015, 09:56 PM
dcains

Rota buyers are poseurs, so I'd expect as many stickers as possible. Helps to keep those sh!tty wheels from bending. Staggered 18" LMGT4's are about the best you can mount on a Z, and 19" rears would just be wasted extra weight.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:50 AM
savedbygrace

Rota buyers are poseurs, so I'd expect as many stickers as possible. Helps to keep those sh!tty wheels from bending. Staggered 18" LMGT4's are about the best you can mount on a Z, and 19" rears would just be wasted extra weight.
Oh that's not true at all. Rota buyers are people who simply like as good a looking rim as they can afford. I'm the same way...I like three piece Works rims but I would never pay four grand for shiny metal just because it looks cool...waste of money to me....and for someone who likes LMGT4's but can't swing the money then I totally respect their decision to buy the Rota rims they can afford rather than be financially foolish and overspend themselves into debt or care what other people think. Not for me to judge someone's choices anyway when I don't know much about them. I've known people who have crappy things not because they're cheap or don't now how to shop well, but because they give a lot of their money away to help strangers, leaving them with much less for themselves.

It takes about 200lbs of weight removal to shave simply a tenth of a second off a track time....so a few extra pounds of 19" rims vs. 18" rims isn't going to make one bit of difference.

You should see 19" LMGT4's with the dish lip in person....they're really beautiful, better looking than the 18" rims in my opinion, but the 18's will ride a little nicer generally speaking.

Saved

Last edited by savedbygrace; 08-10-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:08 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

I would recomend a seller, but i wouldnt want him to be threaten with a paypal dispute case...
The following users liked this post:
Cux350z (08-10-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 11:37 AM
dcains

A very nice set of used 18" staggered LMGT4's can be had for maybe $1200. What's a new set of silly putty cast Rota's cost, $1000? Those LMGT4's will always be worth that amount, while the Rota's will lose 1/2 their value as soon as the tires are mounted. Put all the stickers you want on a set of Rota's, and they're still unsafe, worthless knock-off junk. Your car, though.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:42 AM
dcains

Forgot to say, there's a big difference between sprung and unsprung weight, and the unsprung weight savings with a set of lightweight forged wheels will grossly change the performance and feel of a car far more than a much larger amount of sprung weight will.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:04 PM
savedbygrace

Originally Posted by turboed350z
I would recomend a seller, but i wouldnt want him to be threaten with a paypal dispute case...
Like I've said turbo, at this point I'm not interested in your recommendations.

And we both know you don't have anything to contribute here but are just trying to be snarky.

You must have better things to do with your life than try to zing a stranger on the internet?.....

Saved
Old 08-10-2015, 01:09 PM
savedbygrace

A very nice set of used 18" staggered LMGT4's can be had for maybe $1200. What's a new set of silly putty cast Rota's cost, $1000? Those LMGT4's will always be worth that amount, while the Rota's will lose 1/2 their value as soon as the tires are mounted. Put all the stickers you want on a set of Rota's, and they're still unsafe, worthless knock-off junk. Your car, though.
More like $1500. I've only seen one set go for $1200, and that was recently in order to make a quick sale.

You can't compare new Rota's to used LMGT4's to make your argument work....

Used LMGT4's in various condition can run from $1200 - $2500, averaging about $1500.

Used Rota's are about $500 or so. Big difference...and Rota's are hardly unsafe or worthless...they'd be out of business if they were unsafe.

Some pretty nice Z's on this forum that run Rota's. And they still have about a grand in their bank for other fun.

Saved
Old 08-10-2015, 01:12 PM
savedbygrace

Forgot to say, there's a big difference between sprung and unsprung weight, and the unsprung weight savings with a set of lightweight forged wheels will grossly change the performance and feel of a car far more than a much larger amount of sprung weight will.
I've driven many sets of different weight rims....the handling differences aren't so major for the vast majority of 350z owners. On a track is one thing, but even then most people aren't phenomenal track drivers that can make the lighter rim shave their time significantly...they're all fun to drive, the slightly heavier rim and the lighter rims, and bottom line? It's just not significant really in the big picture to shave a tenth or two off your time? For what? Unless your'e competing and making money who really cares if you could've shaved some tenths with a lighter set of rims? World doesn't change one bit.

Saved
Old 08-10-2015, 02:43 PM
dcains

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cracked+rota+wheel

Just over 84,200 hits
Old 08-10-2015, 03:14 PM
savedbygrace

If you actually read the links though there is VERY little substantiation of the Rota rim crack reputation being thrown around... in fact the odds are very slim that someone would encounter it, and pretty much ALL of the people who've had a cracked rim track their car and found the crack from high usage track events..not one listed cracking via daily driving, which is by far how most 350z drivers drive.

To quote one of the links you've shared from a Subaru forum:

"I agree it's probably nothing to get overly concerned about, but it is the 3rd case of a Rota wheel failing on a WRX. Keep in mind, that Rotas are probably the most popular wheels to put on a WRX and 3 in thousands isn't a very high percentage, but it's probably a good idea to be a bit cautious."

And there aren't 82k+ hits that affirm your claim...a LOT of those hits are just anything that mentions "rota".

Saved
Old 08-10-2015, 04:22 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,266 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Chinese crap is crap. (Same for Taiwan and Philippines).
Old 08-27-2015, 11:29 AM
nextcore

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly, There are those who would pay the money for quality products... and there are people who will pay the money for more affordable replica products.
People who buy the more expensive products won't pay or buy for cheap stuff.. and vice versa. Convincing either group is a waste of time because both will have their justifications.

Originally Posted by savedbygrace
I've driven many sets of different weight rims....the handling differences aren't so major for the vast majority of 350z owners. On a track is one thing, but even then most people aren't phenomenal track drivers that can make the lighter rim shave their time significantly...they're all fun to drive, the slightly heavier rim and the lighter rims, and bottom line? It's just not significant really in the big picture to shave a tenth or two off your time? For what? Unless your'e competing and making money who really cares if you could've shaved some tenths with a lighter set of rims? World doesn't change one bit.

Saved
The reason why most people who aren't phenomenal track drivers, is the reason why they should get quality products.. If they should track out and easily bent a or break a wheel because it's of a lower quality.. that potentially could have you to tow your car home with tons of damage or worse cause/incur injury or fatality..

At the Track its all about safety first.. that's why people put quality wheels on their car (weight saving is a bonus), minimizing the chance of failure... its not about "shaving time". You can justify all you want about how you want to run the more "affordable" stuff but talking about tracking like you have a clue and are apart of the "world" that doesn't change one bit.. is pure ignorance.
The following users liked this post:
turboed350z (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 02:00 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by nextcore
Honestly, There are those who would pay the money for quality products... and there are people who will pay the money for more affordable replica products.
People who buy the more expensive products won't pay or buy for cheap stuff.. and vice versa. Convincing either group is a waste of time because both will have their justifications.

The reason why most people who aren't phenomenal track drivers, is the reason why they should get quality products.. If they should track out and easily bent a or break a wheel because it's of a lower quality.. that potentially could have you to tow your car home with tons of damage or worse cause/incur injury or fatality..

At the Track its all about safety first.. that's why people put quality wheels on their car (weight saving is a bonus), minimizing the chance of failure... its not about "shaving time". You can justify all you want about how you want to run the more "affordable" stuff but talking about tracking like you have a clue and are apart of the "world" that doesn't change one bit.. is pure ignorance.

well put, i also want to add the way the product fails when they do fail is also different. in the case of wheels, since this is the subject at hand, when you bend a wheel, not a big deal, tow it off and your good to go. crack a wheel on the other hand, can easily land you in the hospital. i rather pay the 3k to be safe then be wheel chair bound.

another reason i hate people who runs quick disconnect without the proper safety equipment, or the guys with the harness and harness bars.