Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

nt01 safe max speed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 02:23 PM
arficus

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default nt01 safe max speed?

Yes, it's Z Rated. Quoting from tirerack:
"When Z-speed rated tires were first introduced, they were thought to reflect the highest tire speed rating that would ever be required, in excess of 240 km/h or 149 mph. While Z-speed rated tires are capable of speeds in excess of 149 mph, how far above 149 mph was not identified."

My G can do 160. I don't spend much time up there, but do I need to worry about them flying apart at that speed?
Old 08-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Pengu

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Realistically how often, and how long are you going 160? lol.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:17 PM
arficus

Originally Posted by Pengu
Realistically how often, and how long are you going 160? lol.
Reading comprehension and/or logic not one of your strong suits, eh? lol. Looking for an actual answer for a relevant question from someone with real knowledge...

Like I said, "I don't spend much time up there,.." Wondering whether I should be concerned about tire flying apart given any time at that speed. A blowout at 149+? I can imagine how much that would suck. If there's any real chance of that happening based upon built-in limitations of the tire, I'll never drive that fast.

So we know it's rated safe for "in excess of 240 km/h or 149 mph." I would assume it's not safe at 168mph, otherwise nitto would have rated it "W".

Anyone here have experience running NT01's up past 149mph? Anyone ever even heard of one failing due to MPH slightly above it's ambiguous Z rating?
Old 08-10-2015, 03:19 PM
Pengu

Well, I was trying to get more information from you to understand what exactly you were trying to do. Most likely anyone else with some knowledge would be asking the same. Not sure what makes you think coming on here and being arrogant is going to get you.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:27 PM
arficus

Sorry if you were just trying to get more info- the substance and tenor of your post gave me a different impression- I apologize if I misread your intent. Aside from the snarky bit, is my question more clear to you now?
Old 08-10-2015, 03:31 PM
Pengu

I can see how my question came off as sarcastic / *******-ish. My apologies for that, this all text so it's hard to understand tone, especially from a bad writer, like myself.

As an answer to your question, I can give a you a guess that if you're only going that fast for a few seconds I couldn't see your tires tearing apart, as long as you have good tread levels and such. However, that's not the professional answer you're looking for. Luckily, this site is full of extremely knowledgeable people and they will chime in soon.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:51 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

OP, look at the service description on the tire... (you quoted from the TR page that this is on).

While a tire carries a "catch all" Z-designation in it's sizing, e.g. 275/35ZR-19, the service description following it, e.g., "87Y" reveals the more important factors, the numeric being the load rating and the letter ("Y") being the tested max speed rating.

The two speed codes are:

W = 168mph max speed
Y = 186mph max speed

But beyond the specifications mumbo-jumbo, you need to make sure the following influences are held true: age and condition of the tire, proper tire pressure, solid suspension, and wheel alignment. A W or Y rating on a UV rotted tire running 25# on a misaligned car with bad shocks is a worthless tire even at freeway speeds.

All of those factors will build heat in the tire at an alarming rate that the tires will pretty much cause instant destruction of all components involved. Car and driver included.

Put this way, even if my cars could achieve such terminal velocity, I sure as he*l won't be doing that anywhere anytime soon unless purpose built for Bonneville.

Mic

Last edited by MicVelo; 08-10-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:13 PM
PP08HR

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
OP, look at the service description on the tire... (you quoted from the TR page that this is on).

While a tire carries a "catch all" Z-designation in it's sizing, e.g. 275/35ZR-19, the service description following it, e.g., "87Y" reveals the more important factors, the numeric being the load rating and the letter ("Y") being the tested max speed rating.

The two speed codes are:

W = 168mph max speed
Y = 186mph max speed

But beyond the specifications mumbo-jumbo, you need to make sure the following influences are held true: age and condition of the tire, proper tire pressure, solid suspension, and wheel alignment. A W or Y rating on a UV rotted tire running 25# on a misaligned car with bad shocks is a worthless tire even at freeway speeds.

All of those factors will build heat in the tire at an alarming rate that the tires will pretty much cause instant destruction of all components involved. Car and driver included.

Put this way, even if my cars could achieve such terminal velocity, I sure as he*l won't be doing that anywhere anytime soon unless purpose built for Bonneville.

Mic

QFT!
Old 08-10-2015, 04:14 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

why would you be doing 160 on a public street anyway.... you would need a long stretch of road to get that fast
Old 08-10-2015, 04:18 PM
PP08HR

160 MPH is fine. But 1 mile over is catastrophic failure! So ya know be careful.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:30 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by arficus
Yes, it's Z Rated. Quoting from tirerack:
"When Z-speed rated tires were first introduced, they were thought to reflect the highest tire speed rating that would ever be required, in excess of 240 km/h or 149 mph. While Z-speed rated tires are capable of speeds in excess of 149 mph, how far above 149 mph was not identified."

My G can do 160. I don't spend much time up there, but do I need to worry about them flying apart at that speed?
I can absolutely guarantee you're good to 190mph. Jus don't kill anyone other than yourself.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:33 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Absolutely the best post of the day. The mods really should have a link we can click to nominate posts like this, just like the "Best of Craigslist".
Old 08-10-2015, 05:31 PM
arficus

I fail to see why my question would seem ridridiculous. Perhaps if you were to assume I knew little about vehicle maintenance/modifications, tire age/wear, and driving skills- but why ASSUME that? My question was simple, to the point, lacking any extraneous details regarding myself, my car, or my driVing abilities. I wasn't asking for permission to drive my vehicle that fast on an open roadway, I was wanting to know about the capabilities of the tire.

And btw, my veHicle has 30k miles, had never been driven in the rain, parked on the street, or tracked until I acquired it at 17k. I'm an experienced mechanic. I ordered nt01's today, and had the salesman call the warehouse to check the date codes on them. Some mods relevant to traveling at high speed include:
Wilwoods all around
Ohlins road and track
Stillen bars fr and rear
Progrid end links
Poly bushings in the places that matter
TE37's

I've been a "spirited" auto driver for 35 years, and into motocross and ski racing before that. My first few practice days at autocross the only cars/drivers that beat me were karts, z06's, and a totally purpose built 240z with wide hoosiers and a v8.I was on street tires (pss).

Do I really need to include all that info to be taken seriously, not treated with scorn?
Old 08-10-2015, 05:34 PM
PP08HR

But dude, you were rude to Pengu right off the bat and he's cool.
The following users liked this post:
Pengu (08-10-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 05:42 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

And a G, or Z, for that matter simply won't go 160. Not with you driving, not with Sebastian Vettel driving. I love mine, but it's just not that fast a car. Please don't tell me if will do 80 at 3500 rpm and therefore will do 160 at 7000. The hp just isn't there. It's not a GTR, it's not a 911, it's not a ZR1 . . .
Old 08-10-2015, 06:26 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Doesnt matter how much damn experience anyone has, the americsn public streets are design to see that kind of speed.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:26 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo

The two speed codes are:

W = 168mph max speed
Y = 186mph max speed

Mic
Everything was mention but road conditions... shame on you mic....
Old 08-11-2015, 03:13 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

everything you listed has to do with handling, not speed.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:51 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I fail to see why my question would seem ridridiculous. Perhaps if you were to assume I knew little about vehicle maintenance/modifications, tire age/wear, and driving skills- but why ASSUME that? My question was simple, to the point, lacking any extraneous details regarding myself, my car, or my driVing abilities. I wasn't asking for permission to drive my vehicle that fast on an open roadway, I was wanting to know about the capabilities of the tire.

-snip/edit-

Do I really need to include all that info to be taken seriously, not treated with scorn?

Well, OP, if the bolded text was referring to my answer - amongst all the others - I merely gave you a real answer based upon the wording of your original post as well as your subsequent, ahem, "exchange" with Pengu.

Re-read what you wrote and tell me how you'd perceive it - particularly the nature of your public exchange with Pen.

I did not try to write an answer that PRESUMES anything about you. Nor did I infer that the question was ridiculous (although you should know that this forum does not tolerate discussions of public racing/speeding/general bad behavior and therefore, a comment about traveling at 160 comes across in a less-than-positive manner unless perhaps in the Autocross/Road Racing forums/threads)

The point is, I don't know you any more than you know me.

Insofar as what I wrote, you DO have to understand something about my style of writing on the forum. While it is written to answer your question, I do not necessarily write to a one-person-audience; rather, I write my posts/answers to the lowest common denominator and assume that NOT EVERYONE knows about a particular factor in modifying, driving style/technique, parts, etc.

I try to explain things in a form that is non-judgemental and where it's possible for everyone - both the veterans who roll their eyes saying "Ulp, there's Mic again...zzzzzz" (see T'bo's friendly tongue wag at me above ), and also for the benefit of newbies or anyone with less experience (and want to learn something).

Based on your initial comments and, ahem, "exchange" with Pengu, I wrote what is basic, common sense info in what I considered a respectful manner; despite seeing how the answer to the question was on the very same TR page that you quoted from. NOT to someone who I looked down upon as a petulant and inexperienced child. (And that gives children a bad name as most I deal with are bright and receptive.)

In any event, while I find some of the posts on this forum to be unnecessarily incendiary (as this one was/is becoming, this place boasts a HUGE knowledge base about the Z/G platform that is worth the occasional drubbing one takes for saying something wrong or contextually inaccurate. Trust me, when I make a mistake (no, that never happens ), no one hesitates to let me know I just put my foot in it.

And I laugh.

And learn from it.

My advice is to take a chill pill and ask questions and expect answers, just answers.... no matter how it might sometimes come across from this wide cross section of people and acknowledge but largely ignore posts you consider insulting.

Cheers,

Mic
Old 08-11-2015, 07:01 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Everything was mention but road conditions... shame on you mic....
No need. My garage queens only IMAGINE they can go 160.

Why yes, I sized down the pic so that sensitive people can't see what my middle finger is doing.

Quick Reply: nt01 safe max speed?