Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Muteki SR 48 BAD EXPERIENCE

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 05:45 AM
mVP

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Muteki SR 48 BAD EXPERIENCE

I am sharing this purely for the sake of sharing it and seeing if anyone has any idea what went wrong here or had a similar experience.

I purchased a set of Muteki SR48 lug nuts about a month ago. They were on the car for about 2 1/2 weeks and since then the lugs have stripped a stud on my wheel spacers, a stud on the vehicle, and BROKEN three more studs. There were two separate occasions where they came loose enough that there was an audible click while driving. When initially installed and after the first time they came loose they were torqued to 80 ft/lbs. After the first two stripped studs, they were torqued to 90 ft/lbs. Even at 90 ft/lbs they came loose and the only way to remove them was to break the stud. Now I'm stuck with the bill of replacing 4 studs on the vehicle

I sent the lugs back this morning and am currently getting new studs installed. After that I'll be going back to my tried and true Z1 tuner lugs.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:55 AM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

<p>Sounds like the pitch thread was incorrect on either the spacers or&nbsp;the lug nuts. &nbsp;Was everything tightened by hand or with an impact gun?</p>
Old 08-26-2015, 06:05 AM
mVP

Originally Posted by AdvanZ33
<p>Sounds like the pitch thread was incorrect on either the spacers or&nbsp;the lug nuts. &nbsp;Was everything tightened by hand or with an impact gun?</p>
I would have to say it was the lugs since I've used other lugs on the spacers and the studs on the vehicle without issue. The interesting thing is they seemed to go on without a problem, ie I could hand tighten them a decent amount.

When installed, I tightened them to 80 ft/lbs with a torque wrench. When the shop put them on at 90 ft/lbs, I cannot say whether they used a torque wrench or impact. After they came loose that second time, I torqued them to 90 with a torque wrench.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:50 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Minus some tight spots you should be able to hand tighten them (with a socket) most of the way until they start seating on the wheel.

You should have noticed signs the lugs didnt thread properly sooner and stopped using them.

Could you narrow it down to one lug or did they all do the same? Aftermarket or stock wheels?

Like advanz33 said wrong pitch on the lugs or someone cross threaded them and drove it home anyway.

My sr48s work fine. Post some pics of the damage.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:38 AM
mVP

Originally Posted by guitman32
Minus some tight spots you should be able to hand tighten them (with a socket) most of the way until they start seating on the wheel.

You should have noticed signs the lugs didnt thread properly sooner and stopped using them.

Could you narrow it down to one lug or did they all do the same? Aftermarket or stock wheels?

Like advanz33 said wrong pitch on the lugs or someone cross threaded them and drove it home anyway.

My sr48s work fine. Post some pics of the damage.
Unfortunately they were all boxed up and ready to ship by the time I thought "oh maybe I should take some pictures of these"... But basically picture about 1/2" of broken stud sticking out of the threaded part of the lug. When threading on there was no issue, it only came when removing them. You could feel with the first few cranks of the breaker bar it was loosening and then all of a sudden got very tight.

It was not all the lugs, 4 out of 20 cross-threaded/stripped/took the stud with them. They were mated with XXR 521s.