Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Like to know more detail about 370z nismo rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 05:46 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Good write-up Mic

Both Enkei Tuning wheels and Enkei Racing wheels incorporate MAT Technology. Enkei claims that MAT Technology results in a much stronger cast wheel.

The differences I notice between Enkei Tuning wheels and Enkei Racing wheels:
  • The Tuning wheels are heavier and cost less.
  • The maximum width for Racing wheels is 10.5”. The maximum width for Tuning wheels is 9.5”.
If you want wider and lighter wheels, go with Enkei's Racing series. If 9.5" width is OK and a little more weight, but a lower cost for a very good and strong wheel, go with Enkei Tuning wheels.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:54 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

I've never seen the two types. All I know is most people here run RPF1s. I plan on getting NT03+M which I assume is MAT also

This whole time I thought their MAT thing was bs
Old 11-16-2015, 06:22 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Thanks for the compliment but this was just something I remembered from my chem classes AND something I had double checked years ago with my best friend who is/was a practicing chemist who holds a PhD in same. This was about the time when the old wives tale about compromising structural integrity of wheels from powder coating first came about. He confirmed it saying that you could leave a good alloy wheel in an oven at 400 for a week and it wouldn't change the structural properties of same. Didn't advise doing so of course but....

Again, the powder coating itself would be destroyed before anything happened to the wheel itself.

As far as cast wheels such as Enkei, well, Enkei rises to the top of the cast class using a technology they call MAT and MAP (Most Advanced Technology and Most Advanced Production, respectively). MAT is the key component of MAP.

It's a hybrid of high pressure casting (the highest form of casting wheels) and Spun Rim Flow casting wherein the wheel mold is spun and heated during the casting process, creating a very high density form (wheel).

This process isn't quite forging as true forging uses extreme high pressure to force billet into the mold BUT, it's very close from a strength:weight ratio standpoint. (That is, light weight with very high strength.) IIRC, OZ also uses a similar technology for their wheels but not many others do due to the relative high cost to manufacture in this manner.

Enkei wheels are manufactured to a self imposed "standard" called "Spec-E" that is actually higher than JWL, NHTSA 110, and most other world standards.

Most of the wheels coming out of the wheel "manufacturers" in China with price points sub-$1000 do NOT use this type of technology and should be avoided IF you are planning high stress activities, e.g., racing, rally, etc. "Probably" fine for street use, look pretty good, and they meet a market price point but.... caveat emptor. Yes, they typically meet standards but honestly, those standards are pretty old and not that difficult to meet.

Not trying to start a flame war here, just stating economic versus engineering fact.

Bottom line: I would NOT hesitate using Enkei wheels for performance use (at least those manufactured using the MAT process.... not positive which Enkei wheel line that starts at.... pretty sure it's the "Tuning" level (and up through "Performance" and "Racing" lines.) Check first. All of my wheels are forged but that's just because I'm a nit about such things. I always try to build out to the least amount of potential points of failure.

Mic
Wow good info mic, i was always under the impression that if left long enough, even in 350f degrees, the wheel will lose its strength. Learn something new everytime you post!
Old 11-17-2015, 09:36 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
They are super long lol. I don't think I have hope of running these. I'd not run bolt on spacers cause of the studs. If anything I'd put the slip on spacers in the front. Once I get the car back I want to try and get some of these for my street set up
Take the lug nuts I mentioned above and open up the ends to make them an open nut. That is what the 370z guys do who run stock wheels over ARP or any other extended stud.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:56 AM
cincysilvias14

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

so what about refurbished wheels that i see on ebay? not to steal op's thread.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:33 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by cincysilvias14
so what about refurbished wheels that i see on ebay? not to steal op's thread.
So why not start a whole new thread? You'll get better answers with a few links in a separate thread devoted to the topic.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:58 AM
HRMoneyPit

Cut the lids off lug nuts. How did the over thinking in my brain miss such a obvious thing! Now I hope my extended studs are long enough for a 20 mill slip on
Old 11-18-2015, 07:14 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Cut the lids off lug nuts. How did the over thinking in my brain miss such a obvious thing! Now I hope my extended studs are long enough for a 20 mill slip on
Measure twice, cut once. (Or just buy a set of good aftermarket, open-ended lugnuts specific to 370Z for those specific wheels.)

On refurbished wheels, well, probably a good thing to know from the seller's is "What do you mean by refurbished?" If it's just a cosmetic fix and re-coat, not generally a problem. However, if they used body filler, e.g., "Bondo", the wheels may not take powder coating well. But for light cosmetic repair and re-paint, it works just fine.

Yes, I've done it many times, particularly on the R alloys on my Volvo. Diff is that I wasn't powdering the wheels and not worried about the electrostatic application process and E-Z Bake oven time.

Mic

Last edited by MicVelo; 11-18-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:16 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

What studs do you have? I run ARP with 20mm studs and have plenty of thread, more engaged thread than stock.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:43 AM
HRMoneyPit

Not ARP forsure! They are long though. I think 50 mm
Old 11-21-2015, 07:49 AM
cincysilvias14

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
So why not start a whole new thread? You'll get better answers with a few links in a separate thread devoted to the topic.
because it is ball park of this thread.