Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Dipped the rims on my 08 Z with ZTR Hypershift

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 05:16 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Screams, "Hey look at me!" Since its removable, cool beans. I somewhat disagree with turbo, automotive paint BasF/PPG > plastidip > rattle can paint.
Rattle can paint>rattle can pdip.

Just my opinion thought. But then again, most who dip, dip because theyre too lazy to do proper prep work so i can see why dip>rattle can in this instance.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:17 PM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I think it's a great way to find out if it's the color you want to get your wheels properly painted or powedercoated.
Eh, yes and no. The dip wont let you get exact color match. You get a *rough* idea of how it looks, but so does photoshop.

Edit: most powder coat shop will give you sample, that you can scan on your computer and shop it on the wheel.

Less work, and not as ricer or expensive

Last edited by turboed350z; 05-29-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:49 PM
KJFire4Life

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I like them man, you do you! Great job on a DIY and if you like it then stick with it. Don't let the crowd around here push you around lol. Whether they admit it or not. we ALL had our days
The following users liked this post:
m_0g (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 07:19 PM
m_0g

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
One more note, if you ask for opinions your always going to get negative ones when it comes to plasti dip on here... If you just went into the what I did to my z today thread and said I changed the color of my dope nismo wheels (or track wheels) you would probably get better results.
Yep, lesson learned. I didn't realize the thought of plasti-dipping part of my Z was blasphemous to the general crowd here. I've seen a lot of terrific plasti-dip results, and although I know mine are short of perfect, everyone producing such results had to start somewhere. I just don't get the apparent stigma - what's not to like about cheap, awesome looking paint alternatives?

Originally Posted by Arrtus
I found peeling painted plasti-dip to be extremely difficult. Hopefully the same won't happen to you when you try to remove it.
The sad truth is you're probably right. Oh well, I know it WILL come off, even if it takes a while.

Originally Posted by travlee
nah, he is a balla on a budget that is why he dipped his wheels
Money is not an issue for me, but that doesn't mean I'm going to throw it away to have a shop do something like this for me. This way it's non permanent and easy to change, and in my opinion it looks great. Not to mention, I take pride in the state of my Z and being able to say "I did that", not "I payed a guy to do that". If you're against customizing your Z, whatever, that's your choice. But if you don't hate that idea, then I don't see anything wrong with dipping.

Originally Posted by KJFire4Life
I like them man, you do you! Great job on a DIY and if you like it then stick with it. Don't let the crowd around here push you around lol. Whether they admit it or not. we ALL had our days
Thanks KJ - as I said above, lesson learned. This likely won't be the last time I dip part of my car, but it probably will be the last time I post it here given the general attitude most of the members have towards dipping.

Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed. I thought this would be a good place to discuss whatever regarding Zs, including something like dipping one's rims. I thought most members seemed to get the idea that everyone has their own preferences. I also don't expect everyone to like it, and I don't mind constructive criticism in comments like SmoothZ's regarding overspray. However comments like HRMoneyPit's and travlee's are simply wasting everyone's time and doing nothing for the community on this forum.

If you don't want to customize or dip your car, that's cool with me. But if you feel so strongly that dipping is stupid, then I'm not sure why you're even looking in this thread, let alone commenting on it. Do everyone a favor and just ignore threads you only want to start arguments in.
dSpaceman (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 07:52 PM
turboed350z

Maybe you should learn how to title your thread better.

You dipped the wheels not the rimz. And you never specified if it was hydro dip, or balling on a budget dip.

I was severally disappointed once i clicked the thread. Maybe i had high standards, who knows.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:02 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Painted my wheels using a proper spray gun with automotive paint.

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Rattle can paint>rattle can pdip.

Just my opinion thought. But then again, most who dip, dip because theyre too lazy to do proper prep work so i can see why dip>rattle can in this instance.

I prefer the OEM finish above PD or rattle can, which is why PD is better, you can go back to the original finish. Rattle can finish just isn't as nice as a properly prepped and automotive paint finished wheel. But if the wheels look like garbage, that's chipped and rashed up then yeah rattle can > PD.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:06 AM
m_0g

Painted my wheels using a proper spray gun with automotive paint.
That looks pretty sweet, have any pictures of the whole wheel on the car?
Old 05-30-2016, 06:11 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

Should have stuck to hondas
Old 05-30-2016, 01:11 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Jeez... Just when I started missing my old z... I remember why I got rid of it.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:17 PM
m_0g

Originally Posted by travlee
Should have stuck to hondas
Still wasting everyone's time I see.

Feel free to make the switch back though, seems like the forum would be nicer at least...

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Jeez... Just when I started missing my old z... I remember why I got rid of it.
Unless you stick around like this guy anyways, in which case I guess it's no better off. Perhaps worse even, since then we'd also have to see you try and tell us that your honda's much better than a Z while you continue to put others down in order to feel good about yourself.

Last edited by m_0g; 05-30-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:24 PM
turboed350z

Ask for opinions, gets mad when peopke tell him his bad work is bad.

Bet money its a kid....
Old 05-30-2016, 03:29 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

Awww....op is butthurt
Old 05-30-2016, 04:11 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by m_0g
Still wasting everyone's time I see.

Unless you stick around like this guy anyways, in which case I guess it's no better off. Perhaps worse even, since then we'd also have to see you try and tell us that your honda's much better than a Z while you continue to put others down in order to feel good about yourself.
Flo-rida's z was actually very tastfully modded with some rare pricey parts.

No need to be all sensitive about dislikes. Have some thicker skin.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:14 PM
TeamZleep

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The wheels scream:

"Hey look everyone! I have obnoxious wheels for "scene points"!"

Not only that, but you should have taken way more time on prep. They also don't match the car well... At all.

I'm by no means being a "hater", lord knows that retarded term is tossed around when a **** build is coming about. I'm giving constructive criticism and my opinion, which you asked us for. You are on the other side of the line of "Doing it right", and "wanting gratification of your car with the least amount of time/money available". Be patient, save your money, do your due diligence, and make smart, quality decisions on your car.

Or run racelands and buy xxr/rota/esr/abc/def/ghi/jkl-whatever 3 letter crap brand wheels are out there. Beat your frame/fenders to **** and then try to sell the car after you ruined it for way too much to the next flat-brim wearing, vaping scene kid.
MyZ32TT (05-31-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 04:24 PM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by TeamZleep
The wheels scream:

Not only that, but you should have taken way more time on prep. They also don't match the car well... At all.

I'm by no means being a "hater", lord knows that retarded term is tossed around when a **** build is coming about. I'm giving constructive criticism and my opinion, which you asked us for. You are on the other side of the line of "Doing it right", and "wanting gratification of your car with the least amount of time/money available". Be patient, save your money, do your due diligence, and make smart, quality decisions on your car.

Or run racelands and buy xxr/rota/esr/abc/def/ghi/jkl-whatever 3 letter crap brand wheels are out there. Beat your frame/fenders to **** and then try to sell the car after you ruined it for way too much to the next flat-brim wearing, vaping scene kid.
Swag dude. Swag! Lol
TeamZleep (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 05:25 PM
m_0g

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Ask for opinions, gets mad when peopke tell him his bad work is bad.

Bet money its a kid....
As I said before, I've got no problems with constructive criticism. But I fail to see how pictures of rice or statements that "paint>dip" contribute to the conversation in any significant way.

If trying to encourage civil conversation is kid-like, then please call me a kid. Still not really sure what this statement means coming from someone hashtaging their comments though...

Flo-rida's z was actually very tastfully modded with some rare pricey parts.

No need to be all sensitive about dislikes. Have some thicker skin.
Having had a tastefully modded Z doesn't give you a right to be rude in my opinion.

It doesn't bother me if someone doesn't like what I've done and I don't even mind if they tell me that, but let's talk about it like adults at least.

Originally Posted by TeamZleep
The wheels scream:

I appreciate that you took the time to explain what you think is wrong with it. I was hoping it would turn out a bit lighter and more orange in order to match the headlights and brake calipers, and rest of the car. It was my first time attempting something like this and I definitely made mistakes. I expect I'll be able to do a better job next time, including regarding the prep - I should have taped off better after rotating the wheels and the overspray that's still visible wouldn't be there. Could you elaborate at all on where it appears I lacked in preping?

Maybe the typical "kid" posting pics of their dipped wheels on this forum is a dumbass making poor, quick decisions about their car. I don't think a first attempt at a very easily reversible, and non-damaging mod to my car makes me that person.

Last edited by m_0g; 05-30-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:58 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

See started this and you guys finished it for me lol

Threads like this is what's wrong with the scene. A bunch of kids do stupid **** like this and post up thinking they are going to get likes like they do on Instagram then get hot when we don't come sign the rice
Old 05-30-2016, 07:15 PM
CJM

Received 88 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm a fan of dip and know what it is capable of, especially this pearl. My Work VSTX faces are currently dipped white because I didn't know if I wanted white or gunmetal powdercoat. Dip helps me make up my mind with a good finish temporarily.

However, I'm not a fan of the obnoxious colors some people put on wheels. As long as you like it, that's what matters. But don't ask for opinions if you can't take the heat.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:15 PM
turboed350z

wasting money on cheap parts that serves no purpose, regretting it, wishing something about said parts was different but settle because it was cheap and all you could afford. doing a half *** job of installing said part is consider "rice" in my book.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:20 PM
m_0g

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
See started this and you guys finished it for me lol

Threads like this is what's wrong with the scene. A bunch of kids do stupid **** like this and post up thinking they are going to get likes like they do on Instagram then get hot when we don't come sign the rice
As I've said multiple times, not sure why you're even looking at this thread if you think dipping is stupid. I posted this to discuss it and get feedback, not for arrogant *******s to just **** on the idea because they think they're "better" than it. I expect criticism, but I also expected people to behave like civilized adults. What a mistake.

Quick Reply: Dipped the rims on my 08 Z with ZTR Hypershift