Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Dipped the rims on my 08 Z with ZTR Hypershift

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 07:24 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

i also expect an adult to know that its WHEELS not RIMZ. i also expect an adult to know there are cheap plastidip meant for teens and ricer and there are HYDROdip meant for more mature crowds.

guess we were both left disappointed by this thread.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:30 PM
m_0g

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CJM
I'm a fan of dip and know what it is capable of, especially this pearl. My Work VSTX faces are currently dipped white because I didn't know if I wanted white or gunmetal powdercoat. Dip helps me make up my mind with a good finish temporarily.

However, I'm not a fan of the obnoxious colors some people put on wheels. As long as you like it, that's what matters. But don't ask for opinions if you can't take the heat.
I take it then you're not a fan of this particular color on wheels. What sort of colors would you recommend for the wheels on a silver Z?

Also, what is the problem with dip for a long term finish? I don't honestly know a lot about paint options, so I'm also wondering, are there even paints that replicate pearls like the ZTR?
Old 05-30-2016, 07:35 PM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

Old 05-30-2016, 07:50 PM
m_0g

Originally Posted by turboed350z
i also expect an adult to know that its WHEELS not RIMZ. i also expect an adult to know there are cheap plastidip meant for teens and ricer and there are HYDROdip meant for more mature crowds.

guess we were both left disappointed by this thread.
I've commonly heard what you call "wheels" referred to as "rims". I've never encountered someone misunderstand the meaning, so sorry you were the first. I'll admit, it appears my terminology was incorrect.

Have you seen professionally done plastidip results? I'm not going to claim mine are anywhere close to that level - they are far off. But the results possible with plastidip are pretty spectacular in my opinion. I've only seen and heard of hydrodip a limited number of times but I've never seen any results that blew me away like some of the plastidip ones. The hydrodip results I've seen in my slim number of encounters (none in person, just online) have generally appeared cheap to me. Therefore I don't really understand the generalization you're trying to make.

Plastidip may also be used by the "teens and ricer" crowd as you call it, but that doesn't mean it's limited to the results that you seem to have in mind. It's unfortunate that my results make you think of that, but they'll get better with practice. Your comments however sound like those of someone who has ignorantly decided that plastidip is an inferior product, and doesn't care what results are.

Any reason for the generalization as far as the products themselves are concerned? Is there some reason you think that hydrodip as a product is inherently better than plastidip?

Last edited by m_0g; 05-30-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:51 PM
m_0g

Originally Posted by abarclay
That's a really calm, civil looking crowd.
The following users liked this post:
abarclay (05-31-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 07:59 PM
dSpaceman

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by m_0g
As I've said multiple times, not sure why you're even looking at this thread if you think dipping is stupid. I posted this to discuss it and get feedback, not for arrogant *******s to just **** on the idea because they think they're "better" than it. I expect criticism, but I also expected people to behave like civilized adults. What a mistake.
Please don't let them get to you. You've kept your cool thus far and that really shows your character. These individuals ripping on you, they're helpful at times. Other times... well I don't think I need to elaborate much after what you've seen. Believe me when I say you aren't the first victim nor will you be the last. Why the forum mods continue to turn a blind eye, I haven't a clue.

All I know is we all lead busy lives with school, work, family, friends. We devote what little time we have left towards cars because that's what makes us happy. So there's really no reason why we should be ridiculed for our time and effort on our cars. Ignore them and try to move on. This forum is great for information research and buying/selling used parts.

Carry on the good work, OP
The following 2 users liked this post by dSpaceman:
m_0g (05-30-2016), ZSAREBEL (06-08-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 08:01 PM
turboed350z

I've commonly heard what you call "wheels" referred to as "rims". I've never encountered someone misunderstand the meaning, so sorry you were the first. I'll admit, it appears my terminology was incorrect.

Have you seen professionally done plastidip results? I'm not going to claim mine are anywhere close to that level - they are far off. But the results possible with plastidip are pretty spectacular in my opinion. I've only seen and heard of hydrodip a limited number of times but I've never seen any results that blew me away like some of the plastidip ones. The hydrodip results I've seen in my slim number of encounters (none in person, just online) have generally appeared cheap to me. Therefore I don't really understand the generalization you're trying to make.

Plastidip may also be used by the "teens and ricer" crowd as you call it, but that doesn't mean it's limited to the results that you seem to have in mind. It's unfortunate that my results make you think of that, but they'll get better with practice. Your comments however sound like those of someone who has ignorantly decided that plastidip is an inferior product, and doesn't care what results are.

Any reason for the generalization as far as the products themselves are concerned? Is there some reason you think that hydrodip as a product is inherently better than plastidip?
So youre going to defend a cheap product because the 1%? Common sense i guess....

And "i havent seen much hydrop dip, but the one i have seen sucks. However i have seen many plastidip and some are good therefor hydop dip looks cheap and plastidip doesnt." Great logic.

I have seen professional dip and i still hate it. The only reason it ever got popular is because of the rice scene. You know, the ones whos too lazy to do prep work... kinda like your overspray. Dont get mad if you fit the statistics...
Old 05-30-2016, 08:04 PM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by dSpaceman

All I know is we all lead busy lives with school, work, family, friends. We devote what little time we have left towards cars because that's what makes us happy.

Just because you dont have tome doesnt mean you need to half *** a project....

I know of simple builds/restoration project that has been going on for 10+years...

Limited time does not give an excuse to half *** a project and expect praise from mediocre reaults.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:51 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

God I give up on OP

Can't wait till this thread gets locked and he fades away like the kids always do
Old 05-30-2016, 08:56 PM
m_0g

Originally Posted by dSpaceman
Please don't let them get to you. You've kept your cool thus far and that really shows your character. These individuals ripping on you, they're helpful at times. Other times... well I don't think I need to elaborate much after what you've seen. Believe me when I say you aren't the first victim nor will you be the last. Why the forum mods continue to turn a blind eye, I haven't a clue.

All I know is we all lead busy lives with school, work, family, friends. We devote what little time we have left towards cars because that's what makes us happy. So there's really no reason why we should be ridiculed for our time and effort on our cars. Ignore them and try to move on. This forum is great for information research and buying/selling used parts.

Carry on the good work, OP
Much appreciated dSpaceman. I'm glad at least someone gets it.

So youre going to defend a cheap product because the 1%? Common sense i guess....

And "i havent seen much hydrop dip, but the one i have seen sucks. However i have seen many plastidip and some are good therefor hydop dip looks cheap and plastidip doesnt." Great logic.

I have seen professional dip and i still hate it. The only reason it ever got popular is because of the rice scene. You know, the ones whos too lazy to do prep work... kinda like your overspray. Dont get mad if you fit the statistics...
So in other words, no factual reason for the preference of hydrodip is what I'm getting from this.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:05 PM
m_0g

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
God I give up on OP

Can't wait till this thread gets locked and he fades away like the kids always do
I find it ironic that the people calling others "kids" are the ones behaving like children.
The following users liked this post:
Kim@Forged (05-31-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 09:43 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Still wasting everyone's time I see.

Feel free to make the switch back though, seems like the forum would be nicer at least...

Unless you stick around like this guy anyways, in which case I guess it's no better off. Perhaps worse even, since then we'd also have to see you try and tell us that your honda's much better than a Z while you continue to put others down in order to feel good about yourself.
That's cute... You asked for our opinion and the general consensus is your application, color choice and overall look is crap. Just because you did something to your car and posted a pic, doesn't mean the internet needs to like it.

My Z had properly painted wheels and everyone else copied my purp set up afterwards.

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Flo-rida's z was actually very tastfully modded with some rare pricey parts.

No need to be all sensitive about dislikes. Have some thicker skin.
Thanks man... I do miss her from time to time but I have a new project to play with.

Last edited by Flo-ridaZ33; 05-31-2016 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:33 AM
m_0g

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
That's cute... You asked for our opinion and the general consensus is your application, color choice and overall look is crap. Just because you did something to your car and posted a pic, doesn't mean the internet needs to like it.

My Z had properly painted wheels and everyone else copied my purp set up afterwards.
This post is useful at least, unlike your first one. As I think is clear from my past responses, I wouldn't have had a problem if you just posted your opinion, that my "application, color choice and overall look is crap", in the first place rather than a passive aggressive remark that was only intended to be a jab at me rather than constructive in any way.

Your Z looked great, but that doesn't mean I'm going to all of a sudden be OK with it if you decide to act like an *******.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:41 AM
turboed350z

Much appreciated dSpaceman. I'm glad at least someone gets it.

So in other words, no factual reason for the preference of hydrodip is what I'm getting from this.
Beside that its cheap, looks like crap and only ricer likes it, nope no other reason to like hydro dip, other of course its smoother, doesnt look like a 3rd grader drawing outside the line, and not every honda has it as a "mod".
Old 05-31-2016, 05:45 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Everyone will know what you're talking about if instead of "wheel" you use the term "rim" despite its technical inaccuracy, but it just makes you sound like a noob.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:27 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

This post is useful at least, unlike your first one. As I think is clear from my past responses, I wouldn't have had a problem if you just posted your opinion, that my "application, color choice and overall look is crap", in the first place rather than a passive aggressive remark that was only intended to be a jab at me rather than constructive in any way.

Your Z looked great, but that doesn't mean I'm going to all of a sudden be OK with it if you decide to act like an *******.
So do you think I care about your feelings? You are exactly the reason why I got rid of my Z and that wasn't a "passive aggressive" remark, it was pretty upfront. You're a thin skinned kid so relax and find your safe place... it's the internet.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:22 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

This is NOT a case of the Mods turning a blind eye.

It's the internet, people. And like or not, people are gonna say whatever comes to mind. I personally find such threads counterproductive; but to shut it down because of people expressing their asked-for opinions isn't in the cards. No one here is getting hurt and there are no infraction worthy comments so it will be allowed to run its course and die until someone jump-starts it again in four years.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:45 AM
m_0g

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
So do you think I care about your feelings? You are exactly the reason why I got rid of my Z and that wasn't a "passive aggressive" remark, it was pretty upfront. You're a thin skinned kid so relax and find your safe place... it's the internet.
I don't expect you to care about my feelings; I for some reason expected halfways intelligent and productive conversation. It would be possible if it weren't for those that feel a need to insult others when they've decided they don't like or disagree with them.

So call me what you like, but I'm not the one acting like a child. I personally hold myself to a higher standard than "it's the internet, therefore being rude and disrespectful is ok". Maybe this comes across as "thin-skinned", but I'm just trying to encourage productive conversation.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:02 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by MicVelo
This is NOT a case of the Mods turning a blind eye.

It's the internet, people. And like or not, people are gonna say whatever comes to mind. I personally find such threads counterproductive; but to shut it down because of people expressing their asked-for opinions isn't in the cards. No one here is getting hurt and there are no infraction worthy comments so it will be allowed to run its course and die until someone jump-starts it again in four years.
See you in 4 years my old friend.... hehe old...
Old 05-31-2016, 08:38 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

See you in 4 years my old friend.... hehe old...
And when you get to my age, you better be as WISE as me.

And besides being a wise guy, smart as me too.

YSWIDT?

Last edited by MicVelo; 05-31-2016 at 08:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Dipped the rims on my 08 Z with ZTR Hypershift