Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Do I have these offsets correct?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 05:28 AM
2one8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do I have these offsets correct?

I'm in the process of re-doing flares and I have built my own, and they are quite a bit wider than I have now. My current wheels wont fit the new size, so I'm looking at ordering Works this fall and need to see if I have the new offset figured out correctly.

I installed my templates for the new flares and test fit the wheels I have now with some borrowed spacers to see what I will need for offsets on the new wheels. Right now I have 18x10.5 +15 specs. If I add 50mm spacers (I know... HUGE!) the wheels sit flush with the new flares. I plan to run the same size wheels, so if I'm thinking correctly about this, I should need a -35mm offset on the new wheels, correct? Should just be current offset minus spacer thickness?
Old 09-13-2016, 09:50 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by 2one8
I'm in the process of re-doing flares and I have built my own, and they are quite a bit wider than I have now. My current wheels wont fit the new size, so I'm looking at ordering Works this fall and need to see if I have the new offset figured out correctly.

I installed my templates for the new flares and test fit the wheels I have now with some borrowed spacers to see what I will need for offsets on the new wheels. Right now I have 18x10.5 +15 specs. If I add 50mm spacers (I know... HUGE!) the wheels sit flush with the new flares. I plan to run the same size wheels, so if I'm thinking correctly about this, I should need a -35mm offset on the new wheels, correct? Should just be current offset minus spacer thickness?
Your theory is probably correct - BY THE NUMBERS - but I predict this...

Honestly people, please think about this when you hang THAT much weight outside of bearing tolerances.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:21 AM
2one8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Your theory is probably correct - BY THE NUMBERS - but I predict this...

Honestly people, please think about this when you hang THAT much weight outside of bearing tolerances.
I already deal with this so I keep a few new ones around and check them frequently.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:19 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by 2one8
I already deal with this so I keep a few new ones around and check them frequently.
OK, if you're willing to live with the eventuality (not possibility) of replacing bearings often, no prob.

And, it will be more often than you think. The effect on the moment of inertia will be dramatically increased moving the center line of the wheel two INCHES out beyond status quo of +15. But in reality, however, the distance is much greater with it deviating from the stock +30mm designed offset. Net outboard movement of 65mm is the actual deviation and that's a LOT of stress for an engineered subsystem to handle.

Oh, and never mind the even more pronounced loss of steering feel and response you will have. So be careful when running that at the limits because when it lets go, it won't give you much warning.

The right way to do this is through the use of specialized components, similar to what the drifters would do to get the wheels out there and extension of the steering angles.

I'm just putting it out there for you and anyone else considering such a radical deviation from Nissan engineering without proper RE-engineering.

But as I mentioned, izz up to you how you want to handle it.