Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Questions: Advan TCIII wheels, Dunlop Direzza DZ102 Tires

Old 11-09-2016, 02:22 PM
mazzotta.al

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Questions: Advan TCIII wheels, Dunlop Direzza DZ102 Tires

New to me '04 350z with advan TCIII wheels and direzza dz102 size 50R17 tires, pretty much new. Manuf spec says 51psi is max pressure. But what should i be running them at??

Also, these are summer performance tires. I'm in the DC area and snow is a rarity (and when it does snow I won't drive). Are there any other reasons to get winter/all-season tires to swap out for the colder months?

Lastly, I know the sizes are different front to back, but can/should i rotate the left and right?

Last edited by mazzotta.al; 11-09-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:31 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by mazzotta.al
New to me '04 350z with advan TCIII wheels and direzza dz102 size 50R17 tires, pretty much new. Manuf spec says 51psi is max pressure. But what should i be running them at??

Your door jamb plate (or manual) will tell you what you should be running. Somewhere around 32psi or somesuch. I personally run 36F/34R and that works for the type of driving I do in the Z. Pressures adjusted by car, by use.

Also, these are summer performance tires. I'm in the DC area and snow is a rarity (and when it does snow I won't drive). Are there any other reasons to get winter/all-season tires to swap out for the colder months?

If you don't drive it, don't bother.

Lastly, I know the sizes are different front to back, but can/should i rotate the left and right?
Short answer(s): Yes and No.

You can physically do it with not too much consequence being that most performance tires specify an "inside and outside" (asymmetrical) and so long as you mind that, you're OK..... BUT.... Tires take a "set" after some mileage, making them unruly when you change rotational direction. Not a dire mistake but not great either. So, yes, you can but I wouldn't. Doesn't really buy you anything.

Last edited by MicVelo; 11-09-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:50 PM
mazzotta.al

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I know that the doorjamb has a recommendation but its for OEM so I didnt know if the performance tires on performance wheels should be different. 36/34 sounds good to me though!
Old 11-09-2016, 05:15 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by mazzotta.al
Thanks for the reply. I know that the doorjamb has a recommendation but its for OEM so I didnt know if the performance tires on performance wheels should be different. 36/34 sounds good to me though!
Well, OEM and aftermarket tires do differ slightly - and react differently to differing pressures - but you can never go wrong with the factory recommended pressure.

The key is experimentation. Every set of tires I put on (any of my cars) goes through a long period of experimenting. I usually start with all four set somewhere around 40-42psi and drive a while then drop them in 2# increments (to avoid having to keep pressuring them up) until I find the right combination for my driving habits.

And that's critical..... your own habits. My Z just likes the 36/34 combination with the way my suspension is set up. Yeah, I overthink such stuff.

Search this Thread