Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Tires for 18x9.5 Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 10:19 PM
Fridays_Ftw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires for 18x9.5 Wheels

Hey,

Looking at ambit 18x9.5 +15 RT8's. Now looking at tires to match. Ive got 2 225/45/18 tires that I know wont fit, but I also have 2 245/45/18 that people have mixed opinions on. Most people say dont put a 45 on 18's as theyre too tall. So, im thinking of getting 255/40/18 on the front and 275/40/18 on the back. How does that sound? ( I do like the agressive look with big tires. )

Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:24 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

You are on the right track, but you can also install the current tires to buy time if you want.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:25 PM
Fridays_Ftw

Originally Posted by terrasmak
You are on the right track, but you can also install the current tires to buy time if you want.
the 245/45/18's? I thought they would be too tall. Thats the conclusion ive come up with. But i would love to use those so I can save a little bit of money for now. They still have a good amount of tread on them.

EDIT: car has not been lowered. Its stock suspension.

Last edited by Fridays_Ftw; 03-24-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:32 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Fridays_Ftw
the 245/45/18's? I thought they would be too tall. Thats the conclusion ive come up with. But i would love to use those so I can save a little bit of money for now. They still have a good amount of tread on them.

EDIT: car has not been lowered. Its stock suspension.
225/45-18 front and 245/45-18 rear are the stock tire sizes. They are also the same height as the 255/40 and 275/40 you are contemplating
Old 03-24-2017, 10:37 PM
Fridays_Ftw

Originally Posted by terrasmak
225/45-18 front and 245/45-18 rear are the stock tire sizes. They are also the same height as the 255/40 and 275/40 you are contemplating
and both of those would fit on the 18x9.5 + 15 im thinking of getting? if thats the case you just made me the happiest man in the world.

whats your opinion on 18x9.5 +15 anyways? too close to stock? or is that a nice size?
Old 03-24-2017, 10:46 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

and both of those would fit on the 18x9.5 + 15 im thinking of getting? if thats the case you just made me the happiest man in the world.

whats your opinion on 18x9.5 +15 anyways? too close to stock? or is that a nice size?
They fit, not optimal but they fit. I ran the stock 225/45-18 on an 18x9 for a couple months when I first got my car, no big deal. Then I got my 255/40-18 Invo's
The following users liked this post:
Fridays_Ftw (03-24-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 02:09 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

And here we are on thread #3 from same OP asking the same question. How many more times do you need the same answers??

OK, let's settle this once and for all... terrasmak points out (and many others in the other two threads), the sizes you have already are OEM/Stock sizes so there's no harm in running them. Not optimal on wider wheels - as many have pointed out - BUT the 225 and 245 width sizes are within the 0.9 to 1.2x tire-to-wheel fitment range on 9's and 10's, respective, so you're physically fine, however "stretched" they'll be.

So, to satisfy your need for new wheels on existing tires, just go ahead and pull the trigger on 'em but don't forget to add the $150-something it'll run to dismount/re-mount/balance. (Most shops -at least around here - will double dip on the dismount/mount thing)

By the way, you made the comment here or in one of the other threads you made on this that you wanted "real" wheels - whatever the definition one chooses as to what constitutes "real" - and you chose this Ambit brand.... OK, not to say anything bad about them because I have no real world experience on them but... they're also an inexpensive rep wheel. Heavy and of unknown quality. Read the threads... they're fine for street use as are most any of the copy wheels. But buyer beware if you push 'em on track or in the hills.

So, please get over the analysis paralysis and pull the damm trigger!! Hahahaha...
Fridays_Ftw (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 08:45 AM
Fridays_Ftw

Originally Posted by MicVelo
And here we are on thread #3 from same OP asking the same question. How many more times do you need the same answers??

OK, let's settle this once and for all... terrasmak points out (and many others in the other two threads), the sizes you have already are OEM/Stock sizes so there's no harm in running them. Not optimal on wider wheels - as many have pointed out - BUT the 225 and 245 width sizes are within the 0.9 to 1.2x tire-to-wheel fitment range on 9's and 10's, respective, so you're physically fine, however "stretched" they'll be.

So, to satisfy your need for new wheels on existing tires, just go ahead and pull the trigger on 'em but don't forget to add the $150-something it'll run to dismount/re-mount/balance. (Most shops -at least around here - will double dip on the dismount/mount thing)

By the way, you made the comment here or in one of the other threads you made on this that you wanted "real" wheels - whatever the definition one chooses as to what constitutes "real" - and you chose this Ambit brand.... OK, not to say anything bad about them because I have no real world experience on them but... they're also an inexpensive rep wheel. Heavy and of unknown quality. Read the threads... they're fine for street use as are most any of the copy wheels. But buyer beware if you push 'em on track or in the hills.

So, please get over the analysis paralysis and pull the damm trigger!! Hahahaha...

Dude it's so hard to pull the trigger on wheels. I'm not even 100% in the wheel : color. On all my posts I get different answers and when I research other posts they have different answers but for the most part I've understood it all by now. Ambit is a local wheel shop near me in so cal that it pretty reputable so I feel a little better than purchasing xxrs or something like that. No canyon runs for me till I get new tires but I don't want to drop 2k+ all at once for wheels and tires. Thanks for the knowledge and patience with me.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:02 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Dude it's so hard to pull the trigger on wheels. I'm not even 100% in the wheel : color. On all my posts I get different answers and when I research other posts they have different answers but for the most part I've understood it all by now. Ambit is a local wheel shop near me in so cal that it pretty reputable so I feel a little better than purchasing xxrs or something like that. No canyon runs for me till I get new tires but I don't want to drop 2k+ all at once for wheels and tires. Thanks for the knowledge and patience with me.
No, I get it.... just gotta give you a rashing for the same question asked 3 different ways. Hahahahaha. Iss all good. The "right" thing to do with all the information you're getting is to digest it, re-check it from wherever you can and in the end, make YOUR decision based on your own logic. There is no one here that's right 100% of the time.

Except for me.
Fridays_Ftw (03-25-2017)