MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Automatic transmission (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/10185-automatic-transmission.html)

FrankAtl 11-03-2002 08:15 PM

Automatic transmission

Im sure it's rare...anyway, how many of you guys got the auto?

why did they leave off the stability control and 18"s/press monitor off the auto???

Intrepid 11-03-2002 08:17 PM

Have no idea why they didn't offer stability control and tire pressure monitor on the Auto. It's Stupid.

ares 11-03-2002 08:32 PM

me either if anything you could say the auto is not for the serios people, and that would explain the tires, an maybe the tire pressure, but the tcs seems more for the enthusiast than those that will be racing.

this may not be true for all the autos and manuals, some will be used on a track in both versions, but in general.

it is odd, guess it just saves cash. thy only offered TCS on manual versions, perhaps it was only designed for manual, and they would have to create a version for automatic?

FrankAtl 11-03-2002 08:33 PM

yea at first i was thinking maybe the auto drives like crap and they dont want people to buy them or something!

but i am very surprised at how well the trany works actually. i can get it shift exactly at 4k rpm with the throttle and it's very quick to downshift when i want to. not crazy about the manual mode...i think it works better just in D.

ares 11-03-2002 08:54 PM

oh nono i didnt mean to say the automatic was no good, I just meant if the cars going to the track and being driven by a serious racer, its gonna be a manual 99% of the time, meaning the automatics are not so much for racing, tho they are still fast.

but like I said, this is backwords to what youd expect, you dont use VDC on the track while it is priceless on the street.

KeNsHiN x 11-03-2002 09:13 PM

I am thinking about getting the AT version in the future mainly because I live in San Francisco and there is sooooo much traffic... and stop signs..... and stop lights on pretty much every block. And having to constantly shift blah blah will get me irritated easily... I mean, i want the MT at the same time... but looking at in the long-run... I might get sick of it...

Does anybody know if the 5-speed manual mode is efficient? I mean... does it have somewhat of a same feeling as the 6-speed manual or no?

jacen2y 11-03-2002 09:14 PM

i have an AT...

has close to 3000 miles and i think it's a great auto tranny...have driven a few toyotas with auto tranny and think they probably make the best auto trannies but the Z is surprising good and doesn't make my Z any less sporty, i think...

ares 11-03-2002 09:30 PM

all manual modes are not a "definit thing" they control the car when they dont agree with you. engine braking is impossible in the tiptronics Ive driven, and they will redline if your foots on the floor regaurdless of what you tell it to do. for me, this leads to alot of extra shifts, that I didnt intend to have.

but the auto is definitly easier, and if your not gonna race on a track or anything, I donno if theres anything really worthwhile about the stick if you dont want to deal with it.

Boomer 11-03-2002 09:49 PM

Re: i have an AT...

Originally posted by jacen2y
has close to 3000 miles and i think it's a great auto tranny...have driven a few toyotas with auto tranny and think they probably make the best auto trannies but the Z is surprising good and doesn't make my Z any less sporty, i think...
I have an auto and couldn't be happier. I have driven MTs for 37 years and a few autos. This auto is twice as much fun as the MTs I have driven over the years. Don't give up on the manual mode, its starting to be my main choice in every driving siyuation other than stop and go traffic. Also, shifting at 4000rpm gives the best sound I've heard yet. I am starting to leave it in 3rd gear in town just like I did with my MTs and it will shift into 5th gear in manual mode!I found out by accident, just fooling around.

Some findings; don't downshift into 2nd above 15mph and never downshift into 1st. Let the default do it for you. Also, it is happier defaulting to 1st in 3rd gear than 2nd so far. If you try these manuevers, you will get a loud and unpleasant "clunk" which can't be good for it. I still do not have it broken in but it is the AT I've always wanted and its on the floor, not paddles on the steering wheel or column, so I still feel like I am driving an MT sequential trans like a motorcycle.

Boomer

zblime 11-03-2002 10:30 PM

I have the auto as well. I bought it for the following reasons:
- I live in southern california and stop and go traffic would drive me crazy, especially when I have my coffee cup on the way to work
- I have had sports cars before and love the MT for the first few years. I always seem to hit a wall wrt driving pleasure (meaning that I get sick of MT)
- I bought the Touring model for just that reason - touring. AT are more relaxing than MT
- this AT has the manual mode. Although I am still in break-in period, I have played with the tiptronics. Downshipping does provide some engine braking, and creates a very throaty sound.

I always keep my vehicles for many miles (usually start thinking of a change at about 80k and then buy something else at about 95k miles) If you do not keep your cars very long, then you would not likely 'hit the wall' as I do

best of luck in your decision making

You will NOT go wrong getting either

;)