MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Tweeter static troubleshooting (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/102295-tweeter-static-troubleshooting.html)

jerseydawg2000 12-12-2004 10:32 AM

Tweeter static troubleshooting

OK, just finished a weekend install on my Enthusiast. I replaced the door mid and tweeter with a Cadence mid and tweeter component set. I'm driving it with a 65W RMS/Channel amp. I have RF 6.5" component mids in the back running off the clarion factory head unit. When playing a CD, it is SWEEET! I'm very pleased with the upgrade. The only think I think I will do from here is put in a second small amp to drive the rear RFs, but that can wait.

Here is my problem. I have a 12 disk JVC MP3 changer running through an FM modulator. The tweeters pop a bit with a static sound on the high notes. I fiddled with the FM modulator frequency output but couldn't resolve it. Again, the sound is not present when playing straight from the CD player in the head unit. So I figure the static artifact is from the digital mp3 format or due to the FM modulator. Any suggested next steps?

Like a lot of people, I'm really trying to retain the stock head unit, but I really like having every song I own in the car on 12 neat little CDs that I never have to mess with. The Enthusiast Clarion head unit has a CD changer input, but it is the Nissan N-bus adapter. I found the pinout for it, so I could theoretically hardwire my changer, but I can't find the pinout for the JVC J-link line. I would need right and left inputs +/- and an aux in signal to get the Clarion head unit to recognize that it is receiving feed from the changer input. Given these roadblocks, I think my next move would be to get a JVC receiver to go with the JVC changer.

On a side note, does anyone know of an aftermarket double-din head unit/MP3 changer? I guess if I had to change out the head unit, replacing it with something that would fill the whole space instead of a useless shelf might help the visual appeal.

jerseydawg2000 12-12-2004 11:31 AM

Re: Tweeter static troubleshooting

Sorry, wrong forum.

Originally posted by jerseydawg2000
OK, just finished a weekend install on my Enthusiast. I replaced the door mid and tweeter with a Cadence mid and tweeter component set. I'm driving it with a 65W RMS/Channel amp. I have RF 6.5" component mids in the back running off the clarion factory head unit. When playing a CD, it is SWEEET! I'm very pleased with the upgrade. The only think I think I will do from here is put in a second small amp to drive the rear RFs, but that can wait.

Here is my problem. I have a 12 disk JVC MP3 changer running through an FM modulator. The tweeters pop a bit with a static sound on the high notes. I fiddled with the FM modulator frequency output but couldn't resolve it. Again, the sound is not present when playing straight from the CD player in the head unit. So I figure the static artifact is from the digital mp3 format or due to the FM modulator. Any suggested next steps?

Like a lot of people, I'm really trying to retain the stock head unit, but I really like having every song I own in the car on 12 neat little CDs that I never have to mess with. The Enthusiast Clarion head unit has a CD changer input, but it is the Nissan N-bus adapter. I found the pinout for it, so I could theoretically hardwire my changer, but I can't find the pinout for the JVC J-link line. I would need right and left inputs +/- and an aux in signal to get the Clarion head unit to recognize that it is receiving feed from the changer input. Given these roadblocks, I think my next move would be to get a JVC receiver to go with the JVC changer.

On a side note, does anyone know of an aftermarket double-din head unit/MP3 changer? I guess if I had to change out the head unit, replacing it with something that would fill the whole space instead of a useless shelf might help the visual appeal.