Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Missed a dog, took out a fence......

Old 12-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Sandy77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ProjectAlpha
I think everyone has a different opinion. My point of view is all life is precious regardless if its a child or a dog. I even feel guilty when I kill bugs, I try not to if I can. I truly believe in karma. A car is replacable, money is just paper, I value any kind of life more than any kind of materialistic item. A life can never be replaced.

You have no idea how much I agree with you!!!!
Old 12-27-2004, 07:35 PM
Zcool

Wouldn't it be a big joke on all of us if there never was a dog involved? I'm not calling B.S. in the initial story since I wasn't there and no witnesses have come forward to say what happened other than the driver involved but ....
Old 12-27-2004, 08:30 PM
Driven

Hit a wild turkey when I was 16 speeding in my dad's 9passenger station wagon (doing over 100mph). Obviously didn't swerve...found nothing but feathers...felt bad. Hit a cat a couple years later and felt awful. Always do what I can to avoid animals...even squirrels. Saw another car on the interstate once hit a golden retreiver...saw EVERY awful second. Dog got it's back or both back legs broken and tried like hell to run away only on it's front legs...it's 15 years later and I can still see it happen in my mind like it was yesterday. From so many other posts, I guess I'm a sensitive puss. However, I've had my neck broken and can sympathize with the pain and scare of shock after an accident...don't wish it on any one or any animal. Interesting thread...hope I'm not the accidental hood ornament so many would be proud to wear. In my opinion I agree a lot comes down to reflex...but I will always do what I can to safely avoid maiming or killing an innocent animal.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:10 PM
Risk

Originally posted by lunartick13
Don`t hit the dog, don`t take the fence out, don`t run over a bunch of kids.
Try to be a better driver.
My buddy hits this dog with his Honda head on, the dog let`s out a big yelp, the dog gets up limping and runs away. As it turns out the radiator blows and the front fender gets cought under the front wheel fender and the car had to be towed away to the repair shop, I know I couldn`t beleive it myself.

I believe it, all jap cars are made out of recycled beer cans. Funny to think that your car used to be a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon that some fat Minnesota dude was suckin on.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:27 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's with the comments from people who suggest punishing the dog because it wasn't on a leash, as if this is the dogs fault. Or the comments from people who are punishing the owner of the dog, by killing their dog? It's kinda sick.

DrVolkl made a good comment about reflexes. What he forgot to mention was the fact that everyone who posts in this thread is an above average driver, and most are of professional racing caliber. Our minds are capable of overiding that reflex action, and in a split-second, are able to evaluate all the following actions/reactions:

1. That thing darting out in front of my car - Is that a living creature, a shadow, or a drug induced flashback?

2. If I were attempt a severe swerve, are my 20" tires going to rub on my fenderwell?

3. (Checking mirrors, we evaluate escape routes left and right, and glance at that pimple on our forehead that just....keeps...growing!)

4. Hit the dog or hit the fence - what will make a better forum thread?

Having went through the above, we are able to make the proper decision each and everytime. Unfortunately, when lesser drivers attempt this, they have already killed the creature/shadow/illusion, and are now speeding directly towards the fence, and it is at this time that they again try to decide what to do.

1. That structure in front of me - is it wood, concrete, or chain link?

2. If I were to attempt...........
Old 12-28-2004, 02:57 PM
Jsn350Z

To go along with the story above..

I was one going down a road, 2 lanes in each direction, when I noticed a dog in the street on the oppostie side just wondering around. I, being the animal lover I am, was pulling over to get it out of the road and help it find its home. As I am pulling over, the dog is on the inside lane and a car is coming, in the same lane. The car then comes to a stop with the dog standing in front of it. Still before I had a chance to get out of my car, a car came on the outside lane, didnt bother stopping or slowing down, and just as the car came up the dog ran in front of it ( dog couldnt even see it coming )

The car slammed right into the poor thing and it went skidding down the pavement 20 feet or so. The dog proceeded to flop around like a fish that just got pulled out of the water. The driver who hit the dog left REAL fast, and the other driver who did stop managed to get the dog into the car and took him to the animal hospital. I never did find out of the dog lived or not.

After that I was seriously depressed about it for a couple weeks, and it still bothers me every time I think about it.

As I said before, it is probably the smarter choice to just hit the animal and live with it. You can avoid a potentialy fatal accident that may involve others or the people in your car. For some people it is just to hard to do this. if you love animals, your first reflex is probably going to be to do anything possible to avoid it.

I have come close many times. Dogs, cats, squirls, wild animals, ect, but never have hit one. I had came slidding to stops sideways, spun a 180, and so on. Only once I nicked a rear bumper. Stupid of me to do all that, but I just can't help it.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:18 PM
Risk

Originally posted by Scafremon
What's with the comments from people who suggest punishing the dog because it wasn't on a leash, as if this is the dogs fault. Or the comments from people who are punishing the owner of the dog, by killing their dog? It's kinda sick.

DrVolkl made a good comment about reflexes. What he forgot to mention was the fact that everyone who posts in this thread is an above average driver, and most are of professional racing caliber. Our minds are capable of overiding that reflex action, and in a split-second, are able to evaluate all the following actions/reactions:

1. That thing darting out in front of my car - Is that a living creature, a shadow, or a drug induced flashback?

2. If I were attempt a severe swerve, are my 20" tires going to rub on my fenderwell?

3. (Checking mirrors, we evaluate escape routes left and right, and glance at that pimple on our forehead that just....keeps...growing!)

4. Hit the dog or hit the fence - what will make a better forum thread?

Having went through the above, we are able to make the proper decision each and everytime. Unfortunately, when lesser drivers attempt this, they have already killed the creature/shadow/illusion, and are now speeding directly towards the fence, and it is at this time that they again try to decide what to do.

1. That structure in front of me - is it wood, concrete, or chain link?

2. If I were to attempt...........
Im glad to see a fellow class clown on this board
Old 12-29-2004, 10:48 AM
ProjectAlpha

Originally posted by Sandy77
You have no idea how much I agree with you!!!!
Im glad someone is feeling me on this.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:55 AM
kamz

I would do my best to brake and swerve if it's safe but when I hear stories about people dieing because they swerved to avoid an animal it makes me apprehensive to do the same. I'm sure I'll go to hell but I value my life a little more than some animal roaming the streets.

Heck I've already killed a bird unintentionally when it flew under my car and got run over. True story!
Old 12-29-2004, 10:58 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by kamz
I would do my best to brake and swerve if it's safe but when I hear stories about people dieing because they swerved to avoid an animal it makes me apprehensive to do the same. I'm sure I'll go to hell but I value my life a little more than some animal roaming the streets.

Heck I've already killed a bird unintentionally when it flew under my car and got run over. True story!
If you'd stop getting airborne in your Z, you'd stop running over birds!!!
Old 12-29-2004, 07:19 PM
srmd22

Originally posted by DrVolkl
Everyone says "Hit the Dog"....

By the time your brain processes what it "is" that just darted out in front of you, YOU'RE ALREADY SWERVING.

If you have enough time to figure out what it is, you should be able to stop.

If something darts in front of my car, my first reaction is to jerk the wheel to avoid it. It's called a REFLEX. Man...the next time it could be a kid running out in front of you...and I hope for some of your sakes, your reflexes take over your actions....
hit the dog
Old 12-30-2004, 01:00 PM
ROME

In my old civic h/b I "accidently" ran over a seagull when I was young. Animals can rip off precious tire well plastics.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Jsn350Z

Are you implying that you hit the bird on purpose? Pretty lame.. If not then my bad.