MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Problems pumping gas.... (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/10396-problems-pumping-gas.html)

aggie300zx 11-05-2002 06:56 PM

Problems pumping gas....

Ok, this one is weird and my coworker had the same problem yesterday.

I went to fill-up the car with gas (93 octane), had about 48 DTE on the trip computer. I tried two different pumps, one of which had just been used by someone, and it would not dispense any gas into my tank. I tried it several times and nothing...no pressure from the nozzle. Soooo, being a little low on gas, I go to another gas station. This time it allowed me to get about 5 gallons in the tank before the pump shut off....again I tried to dispense more gas and it would go for about a half second and then stop again. ARGGGHHH!! I tried different angles of inserting the nozzle into the fill whole...but still same result. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS ISSUE????

As I mentioned before my friend had the same issue and had to go to another gas station before it would let him fill the tank up all the way (different stations then what I went too). I'm at 3800 miles, and this was his first refill since taking delivery on the car.

ares 11-05-2002 06:58 PM

pull the pump out a little, the gas must be splashing back up on the nozzle. dont set it all the way in, just pull it out a tad. also try filling slower. these things should help.

aggie300zx 11-05-2002 07:01 PM

Tried that...the first time it would not dispense any gas....like pull the handle...no pressure...on both pumps I tried (one of which I just saw a guy finish using it just fine on his car).

lmmontey 11-05-2002 07:05 PM

On my very first fillup there was a problem with the gas station attendant pushing the wrong button. He made a mistake and only allowed me to get $5 worth of gas before the pump shut down. When I told him I wanted a full tank, he turned the power back on. When I tried to put more fuel in, it immediately shut down even though the tank was only half full.

I tried every which way to get the pump to pump more that 2 cents worth in at a time, with no luck. When I drove to another gas station, it filled up just fine. I have not had a chance to put more fuel in since, so I don't know if it will be a continuing problem.

ares 11-05-2002 07:06 PM

that shouldnt be any problem with the car then, not if it never even gave pressure

I know many people here had to have filled their gas tanks somehow, so I wouldnt imagine its the cars problem.

aggie300zx 11-05-2002 07:13 PM

It most definetly could have something to do with the car.

Station #1 (pump#1) - no pressure at all

Station #1 (pump#2) - no pressure at all

Station #2 (pump#1) - dispensed up to 5 gallons then cut off, could only do the 2 seconds at a time fill-up.

I have put gas in my Z at both of these stations before with no problem. As I mentioned my coworker, who was filling it up for the first time (outside of the original tank), ran into the same issue that I experienced at Station #2, but was at a totally different gas station then the two I mentioned. Isn't there some kind of ventilation/pressure point that if not working right will not create the right pressure for the gas tank to pump into, which might cause the pump to think the tank is full...pulling this out of my butt...but it sounded good???? Thoughts?

bobbyz 11-06-2002 05:09 AM

Funny, because on my first fill up I had this problem as well. Took me like 1/2 hour to fill up the tank. Then on the second fill up it was fine. I'll let you knwo about the third fill up later this week.

chicago350z 11-06-2002 05:27 AM

this problem has been reported with several g35 4drs at freshalloy.com

Toony 11-06-2002 05:45 AM

My first instinct was that it was an aggie thing, but apparantly that's not the problem in this case :)

aggie300zx 11-06-2002 05:51 AM

I was waiting for the aggie remark! :)

Hmmm, I will check out Freshalloy.com.

Drofnarc 11-06-2002 06:31 AM

Yeah, as aggie300zx said, the first time I stopped to get gas, I could only put about 5 gallons in before it stopped. Then, it didn't matter what I did, I couldn't get more gas.

Talk about feeling really stupid. I was sitting there thinking that if I had to call aggie300zx and ask him "how the heck do I put gas in this car?" he was going to laugh his ass off at me. So, it makes me feel a lot better to know he now has had the same problem. :)

I finally decided I had enough gas for the time being and left. I stopped about 5 miles later and tried at another station and had no problems. I've filled up one other time since then and didn't have anymore problems. I haven't been back to the original station though.

Weird!!!

--Drof

2003z 11-06-2002 06:43 AM

I encounter the same problem when I fill up, its a little annoying

ColecatZ 11-06-2002 07:08 AM

Could it be that the vacumn in teh gas tank while the car is running has something to do with it? (assumeing you left the car running)

I was told by one of my friends at the dealership they had complaints such as this and the car idling strangely after fill ups....and in each case the owner had got gas while the car was running......which I was told is a big no no for the Z. Who knows..

aggie300zx 11-06-2002 08:01 AM

I never have nor will ever fill up a car with gas while it is running....just not a smart idea.

TalonZ 11-06-2002 09:22 AM

I've filled my "Z" up twice and had this problem both times. The fuel pump would repeatedly "cut off" each time I pulled the handle to dispense fuel. Both fill-ups have been at the same station but different pumps. I never leave my car running while I pump fuel.

The local gas stations have rubber boots around the pump's fuel nozzle. This rubber boot is supposed to seal around the neck of the car's fuel tank to prevent gasoline fumes from escaping into the atmosphere.

Believing that the pump cuts off by sensing pressure, I reached into the fuel door of the "Z" with my left hand and pulled this boot away from the tank neck. With my right hand, I actuated the handle to dispense the fuel. As soon as I pulled the handle, the pump began to run. End of problem.

However, on the second fill-up, this method didn't immediately work. I had to play with it awhile. Right now, I don't know what the long-term solution will be. For one thing, I will try a different station, but I bet it won't make a difference.

ares 11-06-2002 09:39 AM

firstly it cant be that boot that does pressure and what not, cause Ive filled up at many stations that didnt even have them attached anymore. and when they were, they didnt form an air tight seal...

this is just an idea. but perhaps that fuel runs down into the tank around the half way point of the tank.then it fills back up... but for some reason the gas fills up till the line where the gas is coming in, and the remaining air becomes trapped in the tank? then as you drive something works its way out of the system and you can continue as normal...

thats a crazy theory. maybe someone with a service manual could take a look at the set up of the gas tank and come up with a hypothesis about what might be wrong.

Slareau02 11-06-2002 12:12 PM

This has happened to me before in my bmw z3. I just thought it was me...

Roush360r 11-06-2002 01:06 PM

What an odd problem.... have you guys discussed this with Nissan dealers directly?

My only gripe with my cars fuel system is that the needle NEVER goes all the way to full when I fill it up.. it takes like 10 miles of driving and even then it moves around too much. Took it to Ford, they said that there is really nothing they can do about it...

figures :rolleyes:

Z_Dragon_Lady 11-22-2002 07:46 AM

Gas Fill issue:

Has anyone else has intermitten problems filling the car with fuel. I have 6K miles on the car. No issue with gas fill till last night. Had 1/4 tank when attempted to fill the car. I put in 3 gal. and the nozzle kept shutting off like the tank was full. I could hear the gas pump and it sounded the tank was full. Since I had enough gas to get home and back to work again I will try again today.

aggie300zx 11-22-2002 08:07 AM

This appears to be a very random problem for folks. I've yet to be able to identify a pattern for when this issue occurs (amount in tank, etc.). We all just need to take our cars in to get looked (don't think they will be able to "duplicate the issue") at so at least Nissan will know the problem exist.