MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   I Chose The Automatic Over the 6MT (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/10466-i-chose-the-automatic-over-the-6mt.html)

devaraj 11-06-2002 02:46 PM

I Chose The Automatic Over the 6MT

OK - - I know that I am going to be flamed badly about this post, but I have to tell you the truth (from my point of view).

When I went to my local Nissan dealer to try out the 350Z, the salesman tried to talk me into buying the 6MT Transmission because he felt that it was the true sports car tranny. I hesitated because I drive in a large city and hate to shift & clutch at every corner. So we both took two Z's out for a hard test drive. First, we drove an Enthusiast Model with the 6MT and loved pushing that mutha to the limit - what a total rush.

Then, we took a Touring Model with the 5AT for a test (the salesman had never driven one). Both of us took turns driving it in the triptronic mode and were totally blown away by the awesome response. The Auto felt every bit as good as the manual - - no BS !!!! We could not believe this. When it was my turn, I floored the accelerator and just banged the shifter up through the gears without ever taking my foot off the gas. I was doing 100 MPH in no time !!! This totally blew me away. I know that the manual is a lot of fun and an incredible transmission, but when the test drive was over, my heart was pounding - - and I chose the 5AT.

Z CRAZY 11-06-2002 02:53 PM

Are you buying the one you just ragged out?

robbyn 11-06-2002 03:10 PM

I just took delivery of my manual enthusiast and I absolutely love it. I would NEVER get an auto. That being said, because there is so much power at low RPMs, I find that I end up in 6th a lot, just to save some engine wear and get better gas mileage. Because I am in 6th a lot, I end up with lots of shifting in the city. I enjoy shifting so I am very happy with my standard transmission, but if someone drives a lot in the city and doesn't really like to shift, I don't think the auto is necessarily a stupid idea.

jckolnturn 11-08-2002 06:08 AM

why get a sportscar if you don't like to shift? that's like buying an SUV then never going off-road, but i guess most SUV's never get offroad. See what i'm getting at?

KeNsHiN x 11-08-2002 06:22 AM

... but then again, why would you want to have a MT if you are constantly stuck in traffic and have to stop at every single stop sign and stop light in a city?

I'm sure most people would love to have the MT, but seeing as far as the area you live in (i.e., a big city - San Francisco, LA, NYC, etc), is the MT always such a good idea in the long run?

jckolnturn 11-08-2002 06:27 AM

the shifting bothers you but not the stiff suspension on city streets? This might sound like a stupid question but if you go from 5th to a stop do you have to shift down through all the gears or does it just jump back to first?

BILL T 11-08-2002 06:44 AM

There are instances where I wished I had an automatic - luckily these times are few and far between where I live unless there's road work and the like. Automatic's have come so far from the "Powerglide" days that performance wise unless you simply like to shift there's no real need for manual tranny. I simply like to shift gears - enough said.

rai 11-08-2002 07:18 AM

Originally posted by jckolnturn
the shifting bothers you but not the stiff suspension on city streets? This might sound like a stupid question but if you go from 5th to a stop do you have to shift down through all the gears or does it just jump back to first?
I have a 5 speed auto with tiptronic in my passat. I never use the tiptronic mode because if I leave it in full auto mode it will shift at redline anyway (if I floor it). I don't think it is anywhere near as fun as a manual.

But when you are in tiptronic mode if you slow way down it will shift down to second if you are going like 10 mph. If you stop completely it will go down to 1st gear. It is really very "neat" but not "FUN". IMO

Boomer 11-08-2002 08:01 AM

Originally posted by jckolnturn
The AT manual mode defaults to 1st gear every time you stop.

rich Mason 11-08-2002 08:20 AM

I also bought an AT Touring. I live in the LA area. It's not the shifting I minded, it's the not shifting,or moving. We got stop and stand traffic here and I really don't enjoy sitting for an hour and a half holding the clutch in. I bought it to enjoy it, not work at it.

FrankAtl 11-08-2002 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Z CRAZY
Are you buying the one you just ragged out?

lolol i was wondering the same thing!

devaraj 11-08-2002 05:01 PM

Hey guys, I really drove that automatic Z pretty hard and was impressed as hell with it - - but NO it is the one that I bought. After I test drove it and pushed that baby over 100 MPH, I sat down with the salesman and placed my order for the exact model that I wanted. It is due in March 2003. The test car is still on the lot - - - do you all want to try it ?? LOL.

FrankAtl 11-08-2002 05:27 PM

im surprised they let you test drive it at all!

i looked at both the Z and the G35 coupe. the z...had a hard time finding one to test drive. the G35 coupe...went in the day they hit the lot...the salesman gave me the keys and told me to enjoy! of course i drove it like a rental. and the G35 coupe test drive convinced me I wanted the Z.

shagz 11-08-2002 06:34 PM

Originally posted by rich Mason
I also bought an AT Touring. I live in the LA area. It's not the shifting I minded, it's the not shifting,or moving. We got stop and stand traffic here and I really don't enjoy sitting for an hour and a half holding the clutch in. I bought it to enjoy it, not work at it.
No....you don't hold in the clutch for an hour and half. You see a red light, you shift to neutral, and coast to a stop. You save on clutch wear and tear, and on gas.

adamx 11-08-2002 08:08 PM

i would bet that 95 percent of you manual drivers can't outperform an average driver in an automatic. Everyone thinks they're Emerson Fittipaldi, but they're not.

automatic technology has come a long, long way. Even formula one drivers have forgone the clutch pedal.

vin1024 11-08-2002 08:18 PM

Originally posted by adamx
i would bet that 95 percent of you manual drivers can't outperform an average driver in an automatic. Everyone thinks they're Emerson Fittipaldi, but they're not.

automatic technology has come a long, long way. Even formula one drivers have forgone the clutch pedal.

sure. but the nissan auto is not an SMG or f1 style trans. it's a standard slushbox. but if that's what you want, more power to you...driving a MT isn't always about numbers anyway -- it's driving enjoyment...

system7 11-08-2002 08:56 PM

dude, it's personal preference

I think both manual and auto are both legitimate choices, especially considering the way you're going to be driving the damn thing. If ya feel that AT works just as well, I say go for it!

mike952 11-08-2002 09:18 PM

My 2cents to the topic,
I'm a convert

11 yrs with automatics; 1st manual is 350z...

Day 1 - gosh! damm 1st gear! :(
Day 2 - damm red light; I'm fine...with no redlights! :(
Day 3 - humm...cool...finally 1st is cool :)

Prediction (as I am going to Day 4 now)
Day 4 - this is too cool...
Day 5 - Why have I been driving auto's all these years..!

Zmeflyby 11-08-2002 10:07 PM

if i had to go through traffic everyday, i would have gotten a auto.
i dont hate autos, sometimes i get sick of shifting.:D

nbdyfcnsqnc 11-08-2002 10:42 PM

This is like the fifth thread I've seen on this topic. There should be a MT vs. AT forum :)